MKIII Supra: Reliable or Not?

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Well just like the title asks: is it a reliable car or not? If one were to do a build for example, would it be a reliable car if it were maintained? Looking at how people on the forums post or what they have as their sigs, it really makes me wonder. Not to bash those folks, but one guy has something to the effect that there will be always something wrong with the car. Another guy has something to the effect that it is basically useless as a daily driver. Still another guy made a thread that is in OT that suggested that the Supra’s engine is not reliable as is, (but that a Honda motor would make it reliable). I also seen one guy in the chatroom say that they aren’t reliable, and that a Hyundai would be better. Again, not making this thread to bash; I am just interested, that is all.

So would the Supra be not a reliable car if maintained? What about if it were properly rebuilt? I know that on all older cars, parts will wear with time and miles, I already know that cars need maintenance. On the whole and compared to others, how reliable is an MKIII? Help me get an accurate image on this car. Also, how many miles could one reasonable expect if the precautions were taken as not to get a BHG?

Thanks in advance to any that can shed light on this topic.

Xtreme

May 23, 2005
Lebanon, OR
Well, let me be the first to say, that modifications and maintenence aside, I drive mine 100 miles to work and back (actually, it's 97.xx mi) and I have no major issues with it, other than getting advice when I do something major like put a new head and cams on it. As for the BHG, if steps were taken to ensure a good seal, and you don't get crazy with boost, it would probably last a very long time. With MHG and ARPs, and near stock boost levels, I think you could go the life of the engine. Hope that's positive enough. I love my car, and prefer a broken supra to a pimped hyundai any day.

Justin727

T-virus infected
as for being stock yes its very reliable! But ANY motor that has been modified wont last as long as it would if it were stock. People complain because a 16-18 year old car has problems.... Well I have heard my fair share of problems dealing with anything over 10 years or older. I have seen plenty of stock 7mge's and 7mgte's break the 200k mark. I have seen people with just intake and exhaust and have not had any problems. Just take care of the car for christ sakes and it will last you a long time and thats for any car!
Tony this wasnt directed to you but just something that needs to be stated!

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
ummmmmmmmmmm. if you dont care about details then yes it is. it will get you to point B.

but it will always have something old and aged that WILL need to be replaced and they all come one after another so its a never ending struggle to keep everythign working. as far as the drivetrain goes if you take care of it and have scheduled maintenance it will be bulletproof.

if just used and abused no, to much power in drivetrain to haull ass all of the time, not your ideal daily driver if its modded. i have had to do sooo many little repairs in the past 10k miles compared to the ONE transaxle repair in 20k miles on an 87 tempo.

the more power it puts out the more stuff cant handle it.

its reliable, but not AS reliable as some other options. no matter how good the rebuild and the maintenance unless you rebuilt the ENTIRE car bolt by bolt wire by wire SOMETHING old and correded will show up.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Yes, they're reliable, but only if properly maintained, if they're not looked after, look for trouble, they're a lot more picky about stuff than other cars I've seen. Old Tercels and Corollas, can last 50,000 miles without an oil change or topup, but the Supra would take a dump on your nicely cleaned driveway if you put it through that, heh.

I've never felt uneasy about taking it on a trip, or a long distance, it's treated me very well, and I have no complaints, other than Toyota not owning up to it's responsibility to it's customers and fixing the HG issue for people.

Oh well, can't have everything I guess. ;). It's still a great car.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
reliable cars come from routine maintenance. (aside from recalls and whatnot) if you're lazy and skip an oil change, you've granted your car the chance to die. keep up on a good maintenance schedule, and you're golden, even if the motor is modified. i mean, hell, you can have a fully built and 'race prepped' engine, but still only running 10-15psi. on that type of engine, those boost levels are nothing to be worried about. hell, a good condition stock 7m (re-torqued or MHG) can withstand those coditions easily.

the 7m, unfortunatly, has suffered from the 'boy crying wolf.' one person said it was unreliable, now everyone believes it. it's really a shame. yes. the supra is reliable, if you are reliable with maintenance.

-shaeff

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I did 100.000+ Km's in mine without putting a wrench near it so yes built right and maintained very reliable.

Get a 15+ year old car that more than likely hasn't been maintained due to Toyota spares prices and a young street racer type that hasn't gone through all of the basics you have a recipe for disaster.

In 99 I did 47.000 Km's in a year back and forth to Sydney every second weekend (1800 km round trip) and never had a concern with the Supra letting me down.

chedderknight

PiYauD-BaKa
Apr 4, 2005
Glendale, CA
www.myspace.com
I mean the the mk3 is a pretty old car, and like all old cars, theres always gonna be a problem, some more hectic than others, but like everyone else said, treat your supra good, and it will treat you good, its a very reliable car, I have a 1991 7MGE that sat for a year in some dudes front yard, never started it, or even changed the oil. Did a tune up and now its running great, just need some hoses replaced due to old age, over all yes, the MK3 is reliable, if done right

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I dont agree with Tercels and Corollas lasting longer with out oil changes. Ive done more of those than anything. It isnt uncommon to have rodknock in anything where oil changes werent done. It just depends on the previous owner.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Nick M said:
I dont agree with Tercels and Corollas lasting longer with out oil changes. Ive done more of those than anything. It isnt uncommon to have rodknock in anything where oil changes werent done. It just depends on the previous owner.

That very well may be, but I've seen some badly abused Tercels last forever, seriously, it's like a Voodoo spell, and I'm pretty sure if you put a Supra through that, it wouldn't be as happy afterwards, lol.

lanternman

Apr 21, 2005
MI
I've never had a problem with my supra, in fact I trust it more than my daily beater. In the last month and a half I've driven from MI to Chicago where I beat the shit out of it at the track (in a good way :icon_bigg ) then to Toronto where I did some more hard driving on the track and off, then to New Jersey where I mostly just cruised. If you start with a solid car just watch you oil level and if you've upped the boost, you AFR and you really shouldn't have any problems. More recently I have upped the boost and am running 15psi on a stock retorqued head gaskets, stock bolts at aroung 70ft-lbs and haven't had any problems yet, I may have just jinxed myself though. :biglaugh:

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
its just the little things really. like on all cars

im just doing a worn starter and dead o2 and im ready to put atleast 800 miles in two days just driving arround seattle.

its my good'ol girl always at my side so yes, reliable if you rub it the right way.

ToyoHabu

Jun 25, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
There are some problems of apples and such when comparing reliability. On the mechanical side, the supra is a performance machine and so is more likely to be driven HARD. The get to work on Monday and church on Sunday Camry is not likely to be driven hard. There is also the problem of just plain old time. The youngest MKIII technically should be about 15 years old. I would say even with the BHG problem the supra has a remarkable over all reliability record given how they are driven. There are no serious electrical gremlins like those that plague Porsches or VW. Things like power windows just work unlike the one in the Ford Probe (just ask a probe owner). If your not power shifting at every stop light or boosting for the moon the transmissions last forever. Even our power headlight system has better reliability than those found in say Fieros or Corvettes.

I would say the Supra responds real to good preventive maintenance and if done, the car will get you there. It may be more unforgiving to spotty maintenance than say my friends Mercedes diesel 200000+ miles and still ticking.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Im about to break 170k miles, yes thats right 170,000 miles. im the 6th owner, and last, car will not be sold.(ill sell my soul before this car if i need money)
Mantaince/ care and this car will last 500,000 miles, i garentee it.
look on the road how many cars do you see that were made in the 80s not many anymore. 80s cars are starting to hit the rare mark, and the supra is still kickin, and its a proformance car none the least.
i drive my car everywhere and i learn on my car also, if a belt breaks i fix it. and i learn. these cars do not fall under the lemon catagory unless they are abused.

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
ToyoHabu said:
There are some problems of apples and such when comparing reliability. On the mechanical side, the supra is a performance machine and so is more likely to be driven HARD. The get to work on Monday and church on Sunday Camry is not likely to be driven hard. There is also the problem of just plain old time. The youngest MKIII technically should be about 15 years old. I would say even with the BHG problem the supra has a remarkable over all reliability record given how they are driven. There are no serious electrical gremlins like those that plague Porsches or VW. Things like power windows just work unlike the one in the Ford Probe (just ask a probe owner). If your not power shifting at every stop light or boosting for the moon the transmissions last forever. Even our power headlight system has better reliability than those found in say Fieros or Corvettes.

I would say the Supra responds real to good preventive maintenance and if done, the car will get you there. It may be more unforgiving to spotty maintenance than say my friends Mercedes diesel 200000+ miles and still ticking.

hehehe damnm probe power windows, I had one hell of a time fixing the passenger side one just to find out have the cable and motor was fucked to hell.