MK3 Front End Convertion to MK2

Suprizim TT

Apr 26, 2008
Los Angeles
If this post doesn't belong here I apologize, but I wanted to share. But I found this picture of a MK2 Supra with the Front end of the 2nd Gen MK3. I have to say they did a great great job on the car. :thumbup::thumbup:

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
The Kaminari front end would be a good match. Someone photoshop it!

K060720.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
bioskyline;1659950 said:
well the hood and headlight covers are the same for the mk2 and the mk3, so not that hard to do

Close but not the same.

I like but i think id have to agree with razoe with the 87 bumper.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
what%20has%20been%20seen.jpg

Sorry, but no. Especially since the rear of the car has no skirt making the car look extremely nose heavy. It's done cleanly....but no.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
bioskyline;1659987 said:
huh, the hollander interchange at works says hood - 82-88.....

Definatley not the same (my brother owns a MKII and I've seen them side by side).

spikesnstuff0905;1659993 said:
I think a properly done mk2 front end would be nice one a mk3, it would look like a Starion. lol

Helllllll no. It comes back farther under the crash bar (oh I'm sorry, you want an intercooler, TOO BAD!) and it's not as tall so if you did have an intercooler it would be hanging out of the bottom. Also, the styling doesn't match at all though you can see the MKIII was based off the MKII.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Also, after looking at the original pic more and noticing the body lines and remembering a few things, it was a hell of a lot more work than I originally thought. The front end of the MKII is narrower than the MKIII and the raised cowl is as well. As the lines in the header panel and the center part of the bumper line up with them, it was obviously cut down the center and material removed to narrow the parts to fit. Going the other way around would be much harder (MKII front on a MKIII). I can't be sure on that though until I measure it. Hood might have been modified as well, really hard to tell without more pics...

Comparo
p1660014_1.jpg

p1660014_2.jpg

Suprizim TT

Apr 26, 2008
Los Angeles
modmonster2008;1659939 said:
looks nicely done! though i am not feeling the shaved moldings on the side and the fact that its yellow :|

I agree I could have gone with a different color than yellow :3d_frown:

Poodles;1660014 said:
Also, after looking at the original pic more and noticing the body lines and remembering a few things, it was a hell of a lot more work than I originally thought. The front end of the MKII is narrower than the MKIII and the raised cowl is as well. As the lines in the header panel and the center part of the bumper line up with them, it was obviously cut down the center and material removed to narrow the parts to fit. Going the other way around would be much harder (MKII front on a MKIII). I can't be sure on that though until I measure it. Hood might have been modified as well, really hard to tell without more pics...

Comparo
p1660474_1.jpg

p1660474_2.jpg

I agree there are not the same the MK2 front end is a little more squarer and the MK3 is more rounded shape. and a MK2 front end on a MK3 is a NO NO that would look so horrible. Nothing on this 2 models match up.

Suprizim TT

Apr 26, 2008
Los Angeles
The MK2 front bumper doesn't look OEM I looks so different then the original MK3 front bumper. It has those bottom lip flairs... Do they sell those lip flairs by it's self or do they sell this bumper like that with the lip flairs? I've never seen them before.

See different

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I have both, and trust me, the Mk2 and 3 are two completely different cars, with *some* similarities. The original car in question here, while well done... I just dunno what to think about it. Kinda like it, but at the same time, kinda don't. I like the end result and the quality of work (although it seems the fender and hood are different shades, just slightly), but the idea of it? Not so sure about that.

Mk2 is a smaller car in general. About the only thing on a Mk2 that's bigger than the Mk3 is the back seat area, it's more roomy on the Mk2. Everything else is shorter, skinnier, and has a smaller profile... also weighs about 600lbs less too. ;)

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
I wish people would stop destroying mk2s. I applaud the effort in which it took to mold the more rounder mk3 front end on, but seriously, piss off. Mk2s are rare enough as it is without people wanting to deface the already sexy, graceful, intimidating front end of the car with other cars' noses. It's like putting Barbara Streisands nose on Michael Jackson's face. :3d_frown: