Mikes 7MGE-T engine build

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Changing compression does not alter A/F ratio. Even if it changed the ECM can compensate through closed loop fuel control. These cars run rich stock which is safe. Leaning it out will yield more power but you loose that safety net.

I'm around 9-1 compression, 7 psi with 91 octane. 87 made it knock part throttle up hill. I could use 89 if i was just cruising on the freeway.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I was just wondering if the A/F ratio was safe for higher compression without a need for a tune.

So would you say 91 octane + 10 psi on N/A compression would be safe?

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Meth injection IE (Higher octane) I chose to run E85 as it has a octane rating of 108. Im planning on running 25-30 lbs on E85 with high compression. Never had any knk and advanced the ignition timing a whole hell of a lot!

tomsupra8683

82gts7mgte
Mar 31, 2007
puyallup
Im running 15lbs of boost on my high compression 7mgte no problems at all,im runnig 92 octane arco gas.Under full boost the afr's is around 10.50 -11.00

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Listen to this weird noise after my engine cooled down from a long drive. I think its the timing belt tensioner :( . Need to do the valves anyways.

The clutch is broken in and i can highly recommend it. Its time to install an mbc an moar booooost!

[video=youtube;cbwpjOWfAn0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=cbwpjOWfAn0[/video]

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
And there it is. WHP and torque in 4th gear.

Rebuild engine ~9.0-1 comp
GE cams
Stock ct at ~6 psi
DM DP
DM cone filter
Stock NA cat and exhaust

**Fixed the scaling.

Last edited:

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Thats impressive for stock boost, and thats a massive amount of torque..

Do you think a turbo intake cam would yield even more horsepower and torque?

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
I bought some adjustable cam gears to see what i can do with the GE cam. Devin showed me a before and after dyno with the cams degreed. It was pretty impressive. I'm just waiting to hear back from him his specs.

IIRC, the turbo cam has ~1mm more lift but less duration. I dont have acess to the dyno for 2 months as the school is on break. I have a turbo cam ready if im not happy with the results. What i really need next is a 3in cat and catback, but thats out of my budget.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
The GTE vs GE cam debate has never been accurately tested. Its all been butt dyno hearsay. Proper way to do it is to degree each cam on a dyno.

timtiminy

Aug 13, 2010
SoCal
would love to hear an update of the cam comparison. I'm also looking to build my 7mgte at 9:1, what did you do to achieve this/ verify compression ratio? I'm planning on 83.5mm bore, NPR gte pistons, appropriate mhg thickness based on how much was machined off block and head.