Miekedmr's build thread

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
A long time ago I started this thread, and it had some pictures of my dads new (at the time) garage floor, and of a junkyard 1uz-fe I picked up which mysteriously had a hole through part of the block. There were pictures of the chevy colorado AR5 trans, and there were pictures of the body I was previously working on restoring.

Then, I decided instead to buy a rust free car and skip right to the fun part: modding!

img-1.jpg img-2.jpg img-3.jpg

In 2012 I bought a nice running twin-ct26 1uz supra from viper92086 (Bryan.) I removed the engine (which was a bad ass swap) to sell to a friend. The turbo setup last I knew found its way into an SC400, and the engine got swapped into my friends ra24 celica. It already had coilovers, whiteline sway bars, and a battery relocation to the trunk.

The following has since gone into the car:
- 2005 Chevy Colorado 2WD AR5 transmission
- JZ to R154 bellhousing
- Spec twin clutch with GM 26-spline input shaft spline for my trans
- Custom 3" aluminum driveshaft from driftmotion
- JZX90 1jz-gte with sump from a soarer 2JZ-GE
- Thermostat-controlled oil cooler
- auxillary engine oil pump for priming the oil system (pressurizes before startup like an accusump)
- Lightweight pulley set
- New starter
- 2JZ (no hydro fan) water pump
- 3" DM stock twin downpipe
- Fluidampr crank pulley
- Traction control deletion
- chrome Stern ST-7 rims 18x8.5", 18x9.5"
- aeromotive FPR

Still to come:
- [IN PROGRESS] highly customized water to air intercooler setup
- Doward cobra big brake kit (bought not installed)
- Suspension overhaul with new RK subframe bushings / beech arms / etc
- Driftmotion upgraded CT-12As [on their way]
- MS3X [not purchased yet]
- built engine?

It ran and moved here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...build-thread&p=2036173&viewfull=1#post2036173

Since then it is idling properly and has driven a little bit more, but still without IC piping.

Last edited:

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
yeah really. and if youre gonna take pictures of your garage floor, at least make sure it has a nice epoxy or some type of professional coating on it! THAT some of us might want to see.

not some disgusting wasted oil stained cement floor.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
It's not oil stained, that's right after it was poured and sealed..
:'(
and that's not my cell phone, that's my POS 3.2 megapixel beast of a camera, lol

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
pictures of car, engine, etc:
*dead links*

note the hole where what I believe is a factory sunroof goes.

the parts recycler and my new AR5 trans with only 30k on it:

note hydraulic release bearing.

and unrelated:
*dead links to 99 3rz tacoma pics*

my DD that I saved from a flood :) (needed lots of new electronics and a thorough cleaning of just about every mechanical part)

Last edited:

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Will be watching this... I just droped the UZ in my 90 about 30 minutes ago and am taking a break for a few minutes and decided to find my build thread to do a short up date to it. If you have questions about anything, let me know as this is now my 3rd UZ / A70 swap......

On a different note, are you able to swap out the tailshaft housing (from an R154 I presume) to get the shifter in the right spot?

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Thanks cj, I'm sure I'll have some questions. I've been following your thread and it's been helpful.

Since this transmission is out of a 2WD Colorado as opposed to the Solstice (only documented AR5 into A70 I know of,) I wasn't sure how the shifter would line up. From looking at it I think the shifter is a bit too far forward to work. I'll probably be looking for an r154 to steal the tailhousing off of soon. (The car had a w58 which I sold to a friend to use in his 7M pickup)

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
The thing that I would be worried about is the tail shaft being to short and end up to far inside the tail shaft housing.... Measure from the Iron bearing plate (where the tail housing bolts on to) to the back face edge of the tail housing where the DS seal is in and let me know what that dimension is. I'll get my buddy here to measure that same dimension on his R154 thats sitting in his garage. We'll be able to tell if it will work out once we have the dimensions from both tranny's. As long as they are within about 1/4" of eachother, then it will work out fine.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
I appreciate it. I'll have to get that measurement when I'm back in town for christmas.
(This project is on a super-relaxed schedule thanks to me being in school and/or working ~200 miles away most of the time.)

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
cjsupra90;1191387 said:
The thing that I would be worried about is the tail shaft being to short and end up to far inside the tail shaft housing....

I got some measurements of the housing. It's almost exactly 14" from the sandwich plate out to the tip of the output shaft.
I'm also sure now that this tail housing puts the shifter too far forward.

[THUMB]http://sentience.rh.rit.edu/pics/trans1.jpg[/THUMB]
[THUMB]http://sentience.rh.rit.edu/pics/trans2.jpg[/THUMB]
[THUMB]http://sentience.rh.rit.edu/pics/trans3.jpg[/THUMB]

Last edited:

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Just replied to your PM..... So you've got a problem using that trans... Cause like I said in the PM, the R154 is only 12" to the seal and about 12.25 to the end of the shaft... That shaft is way to long in that trans if its 14"

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Well, I think I'm going to get the r154 tail housing, and then see whether it's easier to move the shifter location on this housing or extend the r154 housing somehow. I'm not worried about needing a different driveshaft as I was going to either get a one-piece or a custom two-piece anyways.

Got some work done today on suspension stuff...
*dead links*

Then I have to press out the socket that I used to press the bushing out.. (what a bitch!)
*dead links*

Last edited:

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
If you are gun-ho about using the trans that you have, then relocating the shifter would most likely be an easier task then trying to extend the R's tail shaft housing...Theoreticely, it would be easier to extend the seal boss of an R trans then to relocate the shifter, but you have to find a way to move the DS bushing that is inside the housing also, and if you dont get the seal and bushing square and perpendicular with the main / tail shaft, you will constantly destroy them in pretty short order...

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
That's a good point about the seal.

I did a bit more work on suspension stuff.

*dead links*

My adjust bolts finally got shipped from the dealer. There's not a lot left to do suspension-wise besides painting steel stuff with por15 and putting it all back together.

I hope everyone who looks at this has figured out that the thumbs are links to bigger pictures :)

Last edited:

white_mk_2

Feb 3, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Cool project you have going. I too have a 1UZFE on a stand waiting to go in a Supra, but a MK2 :) I was also thinking of using an AR5. It'll be great to see your MK3 come together with this combo.

You have your location as Upstate, NY. Where abouts are you? It'd be nice to see your car in person.