Miekedmr's build thread

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
So, complete change in plans (not for the first time!)

since I bought a '95 540i which is practically the car I was trying to build out of the supra, and I was also in need of cash, and a close friend was willing to buy my engine stuff as spares for his sc400, I sold off the 1UZ and all it's associated bits.

(Not the AR5 though, I'm still determined to use that thing!)

I have a new plan for the supra...
It's partly inspired by this thing: http://jalopnik.com/5098871/manic-b...ered-turbocharger-18+second-0+to+60-ford-puma

I don't know what engine to use yet, something light weight but boost happy and short (v6?) for good weight distribution. 4 banger, even? I don't know yet.

My plan is... remote mount a centrifugal supercharger in the trunk (again for weight distribution,) attached to it's very own low output engine, likely from a motorcycle.

Since the "aux engine" can be controlled independently of the main engine, the SC can be run at whatever speed necessary to create whatever boost I want, right from idle. It can also just be left off for normal driving and not result in any parasitic loss to the main engine. I've put a lot of thought into this and think I can pull it off... maybe after I graduate.. and before I change my plan again. :)

white_mk_2:
I'm in Rochester going to school right now, but the car lives in Binghamton. (Reason #2 nothing gets done on my car, reason #1 being money)

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Hey guys,
Anyone remember me?
I graduated from school, got a new job, and I have the income now to do all the silly shit I wanted to do with this car. :)
Sorry for all the broken pics, I'll see what I can scrounge up, put them on a new host and edit the posts to point to the new location.

First order of business is doing a 1JZ swap/rebuild with supporting mods for high power to come later, when I get the remotely-mounted centrifugal supercharger thing figured out.
Step two is finish the suspension.
Step three is modify the AR5 tail housing to move the shifter further back, (I've got a friend who has done this type of thing and assures me we can make it happen here,) and get a one-piece or custom two-piece driveshaft made.

My goal here is to have it moving under it's power by august or so. (meaning... maybe 2015?)

My first purchases to this end are:
1) OEM 1JZ/2JZ to r154 bellhousing
2) Spec 1JZ dual disc clutch setup, specially ordered with 26spline 1-1/8" centers to mate to the AR5.

They both are on their way out to my dads where the car sits.

(approximated) Pics!
attachment2.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
I also purchased this Clutch for my 1jz. Hopefully will be driving it in 2-3 weeks. If I can remember I will give you an idea of what its like to drive. Should be quite a bit different then the old single disc I was running before with stock steel flywheel.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Wow, everybody's getting Spec twins lately! I have a P-trim on its way right now- should be loads of fun!

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
So I might be buying a certain members car here on the forums, so that I can work from a nice clean body instead of the rusty lump that I was previously planning to restore. I'm in talks right now...

In other news, I've also ordered: new front upper control arms, front lower ball joints, tie rod ends, and new mustang cobra SVT calipers and rotors (13") to go with with the cobra BBK adapters I bought from Doward previously.

:)

-Mike

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
I updated post #1 in this thread to be more of an overview of what's happened. Here are some pictures from this weekend:

[thumb]http://bloggasaur.us/build/img-1.jpg[/thumb]
Some pictures of the new car.
[thumb]http://bloggasaur.us/build/img-2.jpg[/thumb]

[thumb]http://bloggasaur.us/build/img-3.jpg[/thumb]

[thumb]http://bloggasaur.us/build/img-4.jpg[/thumb]
Prepping for removal. The turbos have been removed already.
[thumb]http://bloggasaur.us/build/img-5.jpg[/thumb]

[thumb]http://bloggasaur.us/build/img-6.jpg[/thumb]
The AR5 has been attached to the jz-r154 housing. A tiny bit of clearancing was needed on the plate that seals the front of the trans.
[thumb]http://bloggasaur.us/build/img-7.jpg[/thumb]
The throwout bearing doesn't quite sit flat on the surface behind it, but that might be solved by installing the bellhousing with a gasket and possibly some additional shimming at the TOB mount point.
[thumb]http://bloggasaur.us/build/img-8.jpg[/thumb]
The spec clutch assembly. Each disk is 6 puck on one side and full face on the other.
[thumb]http://bloggasaur.us/build/img-9.jpg[/thumb]
This was to show the hydraulic throwout bearing that came on the trans contrasted with the finger-tightened spec unit.

Last edited:

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Thanks Brandon. Updates will be somewhat infrequent. Since the car is currently a state over from where I live and work I can only make weekend trips to work on it here and there. But I still expect to make big progress in the next few months!

[lol big progress -- in retrospect my optimism is always funny]

Last edited:

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
dbbmO.jpeg

I bought this here lump of plastic-wrapped goodness.
It is a 1jz-gte, and that's my name and address written on the paper.

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

Last edited:

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
I'm going to write down the things I've got to do, here, since so far this project (in it's current incarnation,) has been mostly daydreams and bar conversation.

Part I: Getting it [back] on the road
  • Get the 1jz to start and idle outside the car.
    • fuel pump in a bucket of gas, bare minimum wiring, coolant system filled with water and plugged, fresh oil.
  • Inspect bearings, plastigage the bottom end.
    • If the results aren't impressive, I have a 2jz-ge bottom end that might work better. I'd rather just leave things together, though, at this stage.
  • Mount transmission + Fit the 1jz.
    • I still need to order this pilot bearing from mcmaster. (< reminding myself)
    • Since the Colorado AR5 has a shifter a bit far forward and high up, I'm going to try to mount the engine/trans further back and lower than usual to compensate, with a bonus of better weight distribution. If this isn't feasible, or isn't enough, I'll have to modify the shift linkage, move the hole, make a crazy bent shifter, or some combination.
  • Fab mounts for engine and trans
    • This might involve buying myself a TIG welder --or at least employing someone elses
  • Make careful measurements and procure a driveshaft from one of the fine DS vendors.
  • Odds and ends:
    • Install Spec clutch master cylinder
    • Shorter serpentine belt to delete AC and power steering (just capped lines, no assist at first)
    • Electrical hookups, grounding
    • Mounting engine-related doodads in bay
    • Fuel lines
    • Coolant hoses
  • Install intercooler + piping, cone air filter
  • Find/fab a way to attach existing exhaust
Part II: Reliability Mods + Goodies
  • Install the 13" Cobra brake kit (already have all the parts together)
  • Install the front upper A arms and lower ball joints (that I bought for my previous MA70 shell,) depending on how solid existing ones are.
  • Finish reinforcing the rear subframe I bought and install that with the red poly bushings
  • Bigger alternator
  • Install an MR-2 electric power steering pump
  • Big oil cooler with T-stat!
  • Install an electronic oil pump, fed from the pan, run through a 1-way valve and T'd into the oil system
    • The point of this is that I can prime the oil system before cranking the engine on startup
  • Miscellaneous light-weighting
Part III: Engine Management
  • More research - leaning toward getting a decked out pre-assembled Megasquirt3
  • Install it
  • Get it running like stock (or a little better)
Part IV: Build that motor
  • Build a bottom end with forged goodies, billet main caps, ceramic coatings and etc. Here's where I think the 2jz-ge I have will come in.
  • Headwork? Depends on the kind of expendable income I have, and how bad it's needed.
Part V and beyond (some day not so soon): Auxiliary Centrifugal Supercharger ("trunkcharger")
  • Connect a big compressor (centrifugal supercharger) to a motorcycle engine or electric motor and mount it all above the rear axle.
  • Rip off all the stock turbo stuff, install exhaust header
  • [optional] custom rear/down-facing intake manifold
  • Plumb #1 to the intake manifold, complete with bypass valve for naturally aspirated operation (when aux engine is off)
  • Build electronic controls for the supercharger so it can keep a stable pressure level at the throttle body
  • Tune the main engine to progressively higher dial-a-boost settings

Last edited:

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Nothing too exciting but I felt like updating:

I ordered a 15mm ID 32mm OD double sealed bearing from mcmaster, to use as a pilot bearing.
Since the bearing is thinner compared to stock (OD-ID,) I figured it was worth it to splurge and get the "precision plus" type.

I also ordered a clutch alignment tool since Spec accidentally sent me one for the toyota input shaft, which doesn't fit the discs. (No beef with Spec for this though, they got everything else together with no problem, despite it being a 'non-standard' setup.)

Last edited:

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
I made my Colorado transmission + spec clutch combo fit. I'm going to be welding together a solid spacer to replace the washers from 5mm aluminum stock with a TIG. Exactly 5mm of spacing was needed to have the input shaft spin freely in the pilot bearing and the hydraulic throwout sit flat. And since the throwout is mounted to the inside of the bellhousing, I know that its position relative to the flywheel and clutch is correct.

35db176c8530f6959af1ee8310bea987.jpgaa74ce752e586541d3f3027ced84ecb8.jpgd8d5a2533ac464b89cb887325206867e.jpg

The 1-piece AL driveshaft from driftmotion fits great. The drivetrain has been fitted front to back.
There will need to be some cutting where the shifter comes through the floor, though.
I made a transmission mount out of a polyurethane engine mount (made for a Jeep) seen here:

ens-2-1102g_w.jpg

I have some more pictures of an intercooler, piping, etc. that will get posted later, too.

For the wiring I'm thinking I will poke a hole in the firewall on the drivers side and save myself extending the whole harness.

Last edited:

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Here are some more pictures, since I know you guys love them:

2012-12-31_13-57-54_925-small.jpg2013-01-02_12-03-02_536-small.jpg2013-02-22_16-05-00_876-small.jpg2013-02-22_16-05-37_217-small.jpg2013-02-24_15-38-52_306-small.jpg2013-02-24_15-38-59_888-small.jpg

In other news: the twin ct26 1uz-fe turbo kit that Bryan had fabricated for the car has now been installed on a friend-of-a-friends' SC400 :)