Miekedmr's build thread

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Unfortunately, I didn't grab a picture of the mercedes bumper support when I had the chance, but it looks very close in width and overall dimension to the oem bumper support, and weighs about half as much!

Parts arrived:

IMG_20150725_144951_844.jpg
- new exhaust gaskets for when the driftmotion upgraded ct12as go on
- new 5mm longer bolts for the (5mm deeper than normal) bellhousing-to-transmission holes
- new valve cover bolts / spare set of spark plug galley bolts since I lost a couple from the last set
- new crankshaft bolt (since we heated the existing one a little bit in order to break it loose, and may have weakened it)
- new toyota driveshaft bolts/lock washers/nuts (on the way still)
- upper and lower heat shielding gaskets for intake manifold
- replacement silicone vacuum hoses since I have a couple cracked ones
- toyota oil filter
- new pcv valve

IMG_20150725_145018_489.jpg
When I was searching for someone that made the size bolt I needed for the bellhousing-to-transmission holes, I came across these lightweight aircraft aluminum bolts and figured why not? It's about a half ounce off the static weight of the car, and they have these nice logos that no one will ever see. :icon_razz

Last but not least, I bought a pair of little peltier dehumidifiers to help combat the moisture in the garage.

These:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RZVHB7M

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Both from driftmotion. They have a dropdown that lets you pick upper gasket, lower gasket, or both (+$47)

I wasn't sure whether they'd be some kind of multilayer composite thing or what, but they're just solid pieces of some type of hard plastic. I probably could have made some myself with the multiCAM I used for my transmission spacer but the price is not too bad to save myself the trouble. :)

Edit:
This flimsy little oil return bung I made (seen below) does not seal well to the pan. (no surprise.) So I am making a new thicker/flatter/better one from leftover 1/4" aluminum plate I used for my bellhousing-trans spacer.

[THUMB]http://www.supramania.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72867[/THUMB]

I ordered a 1/2" NPT Tap, the needed drill bit, and a 1/2" NPT to AN-8 adapter to use for the new part:
Also shown are my oem driveshaft bolts from an offroad place.

lHJdx19.jpg

Last edited:

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Status update. Projects not dead or anything, just been on hold due to some life changes. (New job, new apartment...)

The engines back out of the car so I can deal with leaks. I fitted the cnc cut trans-bellhousing spacer.

I might get another weekend to work on it before the winter, we'll see.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Hb3vhHg.jpg

Thermal coated exhaust manifolds came back from Swaintech.

Td2qjUI.jpg

I had some time with the engine and painted the engine mounts and the turbo heatshield... nothing major.

Last edited:

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
I'm working on getting the upgraded turbos on the engine now that I think I've dealt with oil leakage...

Old turbos are off. I have some seals and new oem studs on the way. Changed out the turbine housing ring seals with my ordered-from-japan ones:

IMG_20160327_124335_313.jpg
old seal out

IMG_20160327_124358_132.jpg
New seals

IMG_20160327_125623_891.jpg

IMG_20160327_125642_839.jpg

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
transmission is back on, those hard to find clutch inspection hole covers for the bellhousing are ordered, and I made some progress with the IC piping. I finished welding a vband onto the hotside merge pipe, then had a pro welder I know do the w2a IC cores because I suck. :)

zlAOzOK.jpg
His welds.

Mine:
qpDon0A.jpg
0ERKU38.jpg

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Zg3orVh.jpg

xVqvSxp.jpg

sand blasted, sanded + painted valve covers with caliper paint...
two different colors, just because I can.

cleaned and painted steering rack and caps, and put in the Ronnie K steering rack bushings.

Last edited:

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
- I put in a new-style PCV valve and grommet.
- I fixed the leaky hose on the exhaust side going from the valve cover to the inlet pipe, as well as the little hose that bridges the two valve covers.
- I fixed a leaky hose for the front turbo oil return by bending the return pipe a little and then using the Gates heatshrink hose clamps instead of worm gear ones.
- I re-wrapped all the spark coil wiring with new 1/4" split loom and high temp cloth harness tape, to replace the brittle crumbling old split loom.
- I put the lid on it

NxuXN6N.jpg

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
I bought two new turbine clamps, the type on the right.

My OEM ones had pitted bolts from rusting, so I think I trust a new aftermarket one a little more.

Attachments

• clamps.jpg
    clamps.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 8

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
I'm such a dumbass! the clamps don't fit these turbos. They are 89.2mm and the ct-12a turbine is ~78mm or 3". They must be for ct12-b's or c's or something...

edit: The description gave no indication it wouldn't work with 1JZ turbos, but they're definitely way too big... I'm going to see about sending them back.

Last edited: