Meth Injection Q's

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Stock internals?

Looks like you got yourself a stout set of mods there. Good to have a fellow Mustang owner. Welcome.

juhanis

2jza70
Jan 11, 2006
Los Gatos, California
1. What brand are you using?
AEM progressive methanol injection kit
2. pros/cons of your setup
it has leaked before into the ic piping... crappy phone support for this problem.
3. How much does meth cost and how often do you refill the resevoir?
once a month, i pay too much at about $8 a gallon
4. Where do you buy meth? (I live in a small city)
local "speed" shop
5. How difficult is it to tune?
not hard, i'm just scared from popping so many 7m's to turn up the timing/boot
6. Have you ever had any issues?
just the leaking issue
7. How difficult is the installation?
easy, quite easy

jz*supra

Jan 14, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
Thanks for the help guys. I now have my meth kit. I feel kinda stupid asking for your help and then went with a kit no one is running :naughty: I bought the AEM kit simply because it came with EVERYTHING. No need to order individual parts and make your setup.

Now onto the next portion of the meth injection.
My tuning shop wanted me to find out how far they can bump the timing.
Basically the more he knows when the car is strapped down the easier it is for him and cheaper for me. If its possible some maps would be awsome. I think he has only tuned one meth car before.

My main concern now is that i race at an NHRA track.
Has anyone had issues with NHRA tech's. I have read meth is no longer allowed :3d_frown: But i read it online and it did not specify a class.
Also I am sure the supplied plastic hose is not up to NHRA regulations, i have some -6 braided hose i might just slide over it.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I plan on running Methanol injection on my own car, with a couple twists.

1) Individual nozzles (1 per runner)

2) Level sensor in the reservoir

3) I'll run a 14psi w/g spring (if I have to run less than 93 octane for some reason) 18psi pump (93 octane only), 23-25psi on methanol (basically, wastegate only / low boost / high boost map) but I'm going to set up an override - if the level sensor is reading below 20%, I do not want to be able to select the high boost map at all. I'm also going to set up an LED warning @ 25% telling me to get more meth. Also want to interface a pressure sensor the feed line of the meth injection - below xx psi of pressure, no high boost allowed.

jz*supra

Jan 14, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
The AEM Kit has a resevoir level sensor, with warning light. It also has a self diagnostic system. If either is actived it has a line out you can use to trigger a solenoid to dump wastegate pressure, or it can be wired to a standalone to retard timing.

I found most other kits those features had to be purchased seperatley and that is why i went with the AEM.

Individual nozzles would be nice, however (i'm probably wrong) Meth kits say install the nozzle before the TB for proper atomization. Is that so a single nozzle atomizes and evenly spreads into all manifold runners? With 6 nozzles each cylinder should be getting equal meth so you don't have to worry about proper atomization for an equal spread?

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
I will be putting my own kit together soon enough, for around $70 total. I'm going to copy my friends setup on his mustang, twin m7 nozzles, shurflow pump and braided lines (through a friends job). He has yet to tell me how it is controlled fully, but he mentioned something about a pressure switch, to turn the pump on. I will also be putting in a light, to let me know when the meth is running, and when it is off. That should hopefully be enough to allow me to run 450whp from 440cc injectors, and let me keep the stock intercooler for simplicity reasons.

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I plan on running the Devils Own Methanol Injection Kit with a 50/50 mix of water and methanol. Any idea of what size Nozzle I should run on my setup? My plan is to use the Stinger to turn on the pump at around 15 psi.

A list of my mods:
264 intake cam, 272 exhaust cam
Apexi IHI C7 Turbo
Dual feed rail
850cc injectors
Dual Walbros
Full 3 inch exhaust
2.5 inch intercooler piping

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
10secdream;1202658 said:
I plan on running the Devils Own Methanol Injection Kit with a 50/50 mix of water and methanol. Any idea of what size Nozzle I should run on my setup? My plan is to use the Stinger to turn on the pump at around 15 psi.

A list of my mods:
264 intake cam, 272 exhaust cam
Apexi IHI C7 Turbo
Dual feed rail
850cc injectors
Dual Walbros
Full 3 inch exhaust
2.5 inch intercooler piping

We have basically the same setup so I want to see how yours turns out and how well the stinger operates this. Are you planning on doing this recently or are you waiting a month or two? I will be doing mine in about a month, so you need to hurry up and fix all of the bugs.........:biglaugh:

Why the Devils own instead of the AEM or Snows? Any particular reason? I haven't made up my mind what kit to go with yet.

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
suprahero;1202909 said:
We have basically the same setup so I want to see how yours turns out and how well the stinger operates this. Are you planning on doing this recently or are you waiting a month or two? I will be doing mine in about a month, so you need to hurry up and fix all of the bugs.........:biglaugh:

Why the Devils own instead of the AEM or Snows? Any particular reason? I haven't made up my mind what kit to go with yet.

I don't plan on putting it in until the spring as it is -30 Celsius where I live at the moment. LOL. So ya the car is parked for the winter but I am planning my build.

As for why I am thinking the Devils Own kit. Mostly because I don't really feel the need to spend twice as much money on a kit that uses some sort of progressive controller. The other kit I have in mind is the AEM kit but I am still trying to figure out how I want to use the safety features on it. For instance are there any clever ways to bring the car back to the wastegate spring if a sensor is set off?

jz*supra

Jan 14, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
The AEM kit has a line out if a sensor fails. get a solenoid, T it into the wastegate vacum line. If the line is activated, wastegate feed line looses pressure, wastegate returns to spring pressure, no engine damage.

I just finished installing my kit. Everything except mounting the nozzle. Would it be bad to mount the nozzle horizontaly into a pipe running verticaly? I want to hide the nozzle but if it has to be in a horizontal pipe i guess it has to be right infront of the TB.

juhanis

2jza70
Jan 11, 2006
Los Gatos, California
jz*supra;1202963 said:
The AEM kit has a line out if a sensor fails. get a solenoid, T it into the wastegate vacum line. If the line is activated, wastegate feed line looses pressure, wastegate returns to spring pressure, no engine damage.

I just finished installing my kit. Everything except mounting the nozzle. Would it be bad to mount the nozzle horizontaly into a pipe running verticaly? I want to hide the nozzle but if it has to be in a horizontal pipe i guess it has to be right infront of the TB.

i mounted mine to the TB horizontally, but the 2jzge TB is long... it was the only place that the nozzle would stay at (because the aluminum is thicker)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I know it's suppose to be able to control it. That's what I was going to use to control mine, but I couldn't tell you how yet. I read up on the stinger download where it can come on at a certain pressure and turn off at another pressure. Good luck.

jz*supra

Jan 14, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
Juhanis that was one of my concerns. My IC piping is pretty thin to thread an injector into.

I am not sure how the stinger works but i assume it would have a 5V output that should be able to be activated/deactivated based on a given value. I am taking a complete shot in the dark.

Has anyone run meth on an NHRA drag strip?

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
My buddy on his turbo'd tacoma used his windshield washer resivor, a fuel pump and one fuel injector in the top of the throttle body lol. it worked well he just couldnt regulate how much meth he was running very well so he has the devils own kit now.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Any more updates that anybody would like to add? I'd still like to know if and how the Stinger could control this or if the Snow's kit would be the way to go since it has the progressive kit with it. I'm ready to order it, I just don't know which one to get right now.

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
suprahero;1221881 said:
Any more updates that anybody would like to add? I'd still like to know if and how the Stinger could control this or if the Snow's kit would be the way to go since it has the progressive kit with it. I'm ready to order it, I just don't know which one to get right now.

I decided I am going to go with the Devils own Methanol injection kit and use a single 14gph injector. I will use the Stinger to control the pump.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I ordered the stage 2 Snow's kit from summit today.
Mr. Dream, when you are back on here send me a pm with your number if you don't mind. I'd like to talk to you about using this with the Stinger. It shouldn't cost you anything if I call you. Thanks.