Meth Injection Q's

jz*supra

Jan 14, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
I have a few questions for guys running meth kits.
1. What brand are you using?
2. pros/cons of your setup
3. How much does meth cost and how often do you refill the resevoir?
4. Where do you buy meth? (I live in a small city)
5. How difficult is it to tune?
6. Have you ever had any issues?
7. How difficult is the installation?

I am tired of buying racing fuel for 4X the price of pump gas and have decided to buy a meth kit. Currently i am thinking of going with AEM's kit.

My car is a 91 jdm 1jz. T-61 turbo, 680cc injectors, and supporting mods.
I currently make ~400whp and ran a 12.3 at 18 psi on pump gas.

Thanks in advance.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
1) Devil's own
2) hydrolocked my motor once.. ( accidentally put 2 gallons into the IC pipes and started the motor)
3) $7 a gallon, re-filled it once every 6 months
4) gocart shop
5) easy to tune as long as you know what you're doing
6) see #2, only other issue was low numbers due to not enough timing. AFter I fixed that I picked up over 200whp from 2deg. of timing.
7) installation took a couple hours, really easy..

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
1. What brand are you using?
Snow pump and Nozzles MoTeC M800 as a controller
Even mixtures, fully configurable/Complex
$200 AUD for 205 litres
4. Where do you buy meth? (I live in a small city)
My local performance warehouse
As it's supplimental to the main fuel supply it shouldn't be difficult on a dyno
Not running in the Supra yet but in the past no apart from general corrosion from running straight Methanol
6x nozzles mean removing the intake to drill and tap the runners so a bit of a PITA, single nozzle system = cake.

jz*supra

Jan 14, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
Hottscennessey i like the look of the devils own kit. I also have seen your dyno graphs and was very impressed.
ps. i bought a mp t-61 after seeing your t-70 setup.

Are you running the universal stage 2 kit?
If so did you buy any addition parts or upgrades?

Where is the best place to mount the nozzle? After the BOV and before the TB?
What water/meth ratio do you guys run?

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
RacerXJ220;1158083 said:
Funny, I found it for $0.88 per gallon at Wal-mart ;)

I used to use walmarts winter mix, now I run straight methanol

jz*supra;1158269 said:
Are you running the universal stage 2 kit?
If so did you buy any addition parts or upgrades?

Where is the best place to mount the nozzle? After the BOV and before the TB?
What water/meth ratio do you guys run?

I'm running a kit I got about 2+ years ago now, i think it was just the "universal" kit back then. The only additional thing I bought was an additional nozzle.

I run my nozzles after the IC, a foot before the TB, before the IAT.... or you could do it IJ's way :)..

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This is a really interesting topic, I had no idea it was so successful and beneficial.

Let's you run more boost due to detonation protection?

Hmmmm, I'm gonna research this some.

But a worthwhile addition to a bigger build?

jz*supra

Jan 14, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
It cools the intake charge and keeps cylnder temps down which then allows for more boost. It essentially is like runnin 100+ octane on 91 octane pump gas.
You pay initial 500 buks for a complete kit, and thats basicaly it. It becomes cheaper than buyin 70 buks worth of racing fuel for one weekend at the track.

I.J. or hottscennessey might describe it a little better as i am also new to meth and trying to figure it out.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
There is a way to build your own kit but you must know what your doing.
You must set the reservoir so it doesnt syphon the liquide it will hydrolock your engine.

You apply a hypodermic needle into the intake just before the TB plate people experiment with the gauge size anywhere from 20-24 they claim works best then you add a pressure feed so the more you boost the more fuel is shot into the intake. add 99 cent meth/water windhield cleaner from wallmart into the reservoir and race!

http://www.3barracing.com/howto.htm
http://www.turbomirage.com/water.html
http://www.dave-cushman.net/misc/mannject.html the needle trick one!
mannpipe.gif

You may also want to research E85 if you have a standalone this could come in handy also but you need a sturdy fuel pump for this also.
E85 cost roughly around 99 cents per gallon to make on your own. Some stores are starting to sell it now for around ~$3 per gallon.

You want to deliver this fuel as close to the cylinder as possible because of the corrosiveness but if you rarely boost over 14-17psi then going before the TB is ok.

hottscennessey was it you who applied pressurized air to the manifold to check for boost leak & seals for the engine when it was off causing the situation where it turned on the meth injection hydro locked the engine? because i remember someone who did that and it wasnt even an install or setup mistake more of a brain fart that someone ordinarly wouldnt catch.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
I've been using the Torque freaks kit.... However, I havn't used it for 2 years since my 1jz was last running... Anyways, In that time my Check valve sized up so I took it out since I have the injector on the TB and it's higher then the pump and resivoir.

Running 26 PSI on pump fuel (tuned by john reed) on a 67MM 2jz
About 1$ a L getting it form a local chem supplier, but Canadian tire, or any hardware shop seems to carry it.
I never tune for 12.5.... too lean IMO, always bottem 11's Alkie has a diff stoich mix i think 11's but since you are only injeting a small portion staying in low 11's should be fine. (using m15 nozzle)
Not a one
Med... I mounted the pump under the drivers side headlight, and used the stock head light sprayer as the resivior. I put the injector in the tb and was pretty much done.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1158469 said:
hottscennessey was it you who applied pressurized air to the manifold to check for boost leak & seals for the engine when it was off causing the situation where it turned on the meth injection hydro locked the engine? because i remember someone who did that and it wasnt even an install or setup mistake more of a brain fart that someone ordinarly wouldnt catch.

That was me, lesson learned. Car was back up and running in no time.. I even kept the meth kit ;).

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
you guys have any pics of the meth kits on your car? want to get a good idea how the install is before i get one. is it pretty much like installing a nitrous kit?

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
It is like installing a dry single nossle kit, only the bottle is your windshield washer tank.

6"-8" away from the TB for atomization. I am strongly looking into this, as I feel that it would be the best bang for the buck, and so that I can safely run 400+ on 440cc injectors with a stock IC.

I sudgest a progressive kit, that kicks on at a little over 1/2 your max PSI (like if you were running 10lbs max, have it kick on @ 6). There is a calculator out there that will tell you the correct size of the nossle to run.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I"m looking in to buying one (even though nobody will respond to my question above) and having it kick on at about 15psi. I plan on running about 18-19psi, but I want the meth to start cooling at around 15psi to be safe. I don't know if I need it coming on at 10psi though. I am open to suggestions though.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Jay, IDK if anyone is using an external res, and I haven't heard too many things about the boost cooler kits.

I am strongly looking towards using the devils-own progressive, or the cooling mist kit.