Mazda RX8

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I never liked the style of the rx-8. I've never driven one, or even been in one. Therefore, I can't tell you anything else about them except that when they first came out, a car magazine (Car & Driver?) called it: "The Angry Guppy" LOL.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
the rx-8 does make more power then the rx7 NA but i wouldn't personally own a rotary motored car. my friend had a rx8 and he blew his apex seals twice! which means rebuild. they have no low end power all top end.

Sil

Evil Empire
Jan 13, 2008
Milwaukee/Chicago
Driven them a couple of times, the way they drive out of the box is quite amazing handling wise, in my opinion its a very well balanced car. Just remember the little quirks of being a rotary change the car up a bit, besides the evident lack of torque, there isn't really anything I strongly disliked about the car.

Justin727

T-virus infected
50/50 weight distribution is good. Aside from the having to add oil every other oil fill up and the minor quirks so far seems to be decent. The car stock runs a 14.5 in the quarter.
Gas mileage is below average tho... As far as the apex seals go did he let the car warm up first?

Edit: It also takes premium unleaded only

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
One time I had my bike towed, the driver of the towtruck and I were BS'ing about cars. Somehow the topic turned to cars he had towed, and he mentioned that they see ALOT of RX-8's. One in particular had been towed so many times that all the drivers in the city knew the guy by name. His car had been to the dealership many times to figure out why (as that it wouldn't start and would randomly die when running). Eventually the dealership gave up and sent him packing.

Long story short: A tow truck driver told me that he's towed ALOT of a RX-8's. That reads to me that they're an unreliable heap of shit. A second hand opinion, but he was also a Mazda fan, so I doubt a biased opinion.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
Justin727;1243561 said:
50/50 weight distribution is good. Aside from the having to add oil every other oil fill up and the minor quirks so far seems to be decent. The car stock runs a 14.5 in the quarter.
Gas mileage is below average tho... As far as the apex seals go did he let the car warm up first?

Edit: It also takes premium unleaded only

yeah the cars weight is awsome and great for mountain runs :love:, and yes the car was warmed you it always was. it's always a rotary problem but once it gets rebuilt and properly done it will last! there are a few local rx8T's down here pretty quick. this car is basically a handling car but if you want both handling and power get a m3:naughty:

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
my buddy got an 04 with low miles....hes owned it for about a year now and has had it back to the dealership 3 or 4 times now, and in the cold weather it doesn't run right half of the time. With how much trouble he has had with it I really don't care for them. (And he takes good care of his cars)

Justin727

T-virus infected
Yes I have. The thing is I'm looking for something sub 14k lol and the mazda fits the bill or bite the bullet and buy a fully loaded Lancer GTS with all the goodies @ 380 a month but not sure I want to pay that much for a vehicle right now

Justin727

T-virus infected
Yes, actually I work at a Nissan dealership and refuse to buy any nissan product because of what I've seen.

The main reason I went up to this specific dealership is because of a Black GTO which they just sold and was listed at 18k :( and the mazda RX8 caught my eye ball. They have a 06 Subura STI for 23k but agian too high for my blood at the moment.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
Justin727;1243697 said:
Yes I have. The thing is I'm looking for something sub 14k lol and the mazda fits the bill or bite the bullet and buy a fully loaded Lancer GTS with all the goodies @ 380 a month but not sure I want to pay that much for a vehicle right now

yes the rx8 fits in the 14K but have you looked and any civics? some people dont like them but honestly there the bang for you buck and one of the most reliable car out there :) the rx8 will give you problem's even if its taken care of its just a prone problem with rotary's

and 380 for a lancer is high! but its really up to you though. the lancers are great cars ive drive OZ edition for a while and was cheap and easy to maintain.

Justin727

T-virus infected
Been looking at a few civics yup just haven't found one that has caught my eye just yet.

The lancer is a nice car and the 09 they were trying to sell me was very nice. Nav, sunroof, hid's, smart key, everything, RF system with the sub in the trunk. Yada yada.

Too bad it's too much.. But I think It could be lower cause they're just dicking around... It was 18k. Hell I financed my truck at 21k and got 400 monthly... I don't want to get back into anything 350 or more right at the moment since we all got 5% paycuts. Wont be making 3400 monthly for a "temporary" time..

I could have gotten into an 06 stang GT @ 330 monthly.. Might have to do that.

x10secondzx2

I love you.
Nov 25, 2007
Viera, Florida
www.myspace.com
You can pick up a C5 Vette for 14-20k. And they get AMAZING gas milage. Hell my LT1 Camaro gets 26mpg and its nowhere near as efficient as a LS1. GTO's are fun to drive too. Search Cars.com. There are many C5's for sale for great prices on there.