Mazda RX8

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
I have driven several while I worked for honda/mazda/gmc. The auto is painfully slow. The stick is better but you have to spin it up to ~4k before it makes any power. They are very unreliable as around four out of ten come right back to the shop in less than a year.

I would take a stock civic EX 4dr over one any day of the week.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
Ive driven a few of them, great for handling, not alot in the power department imo.

I came close to buying one myself recently, but after some research i decided against it. Alot of the owners I talked to were saying that if it makes it to 100k miles it gonna need to rebuilt. It just seemed to unreliable for me.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
arizzle;1243549 said:
the rx-8 does make more power then the rx7 NA but i wouldn't personally own a rotary motored car. my friend had a rx8 and he blew his apex seals twice! which means rebuild. they have no low end power all top end.

Same feelings here.. I too had a friend who blew his apex seals twice LOL. I would never get one for that reason.

Justin727

T-virus infected
i've been thinking myself and I dont believe i'll be getting into one. BUT.. The apex seals dont scare me. Thats like me saying I wont buy a mk3 because so and so got BHG TWICE! lol.

From what i've read up the 06-08 are far more reliable But the previous ones if they've had the TSB's done should be just as reliable.

Keeping in mind this car wouldnt be my DD because I have one already. But from what i've gathered redlining it every so often, allowing it to warm up, keeping 93 octane in it, along with having the tsb's done it should be reliable.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
-consumes epic amounts of oil
-HORRIBLE gas milage
-Mazda USA specifies the wrong oil so it can meet EPA regulations (spec is different everywhere else in the world)

Overall it's NOT worth is as once the warranty runs out you have to handle it all. Rotaries are very simple and easy to work on, but who wants to do it all the time?

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
I looked at the RX8 when I got rid of my Miata. Didn't care for it after the reviews it got, and finding out it got crappy gas mileage.

You might look into the Saturn Ion Redline. I have one as a DD, and it's awesome. Averages about 27-28 mpg, and even supercharged, it is economical as hell. I have rather bad credit, and I only pay $307/month for it. Mine also came with extra goodies - Ricaro interior, lightweight wheels, power everything, etc. The guy who had it before me apparently auto crossed in it, LOL.

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
I don't like that 20 years ago if you wanted a RX7 you can get it with a turbo,leather int,4 pot brakes in the front and 2 in the rear,aero parts,and more or if you wanted a simple n/a with no extra stuff but you wanted a cool looking car.Well the RX8 is just that cool simple looking car.Yea theres a nice after market seen but I like starting out with a nice layout.Also they have droped in price over the last few years.I think it's cause it's going to be rebuild time for most of them.

But I must say I do like the car's look,and handling

Justin727

T-virus infected
true...

I've never been a FWD kinda guy. Always hated it. Don't get me wrong I like the camry but dreading doing the timing belt job or anything thing else worring with the front of the engine.

I can actually come out cheaper on the stang then the mazda.. The stang seems to be more reliable then the Rx8... Think I may just stick with it.