Looking for a mk3 rc car shell - post your rc cars

test pilot

Developing video games
Jul 3, 2005
Eugene, OR
I've been on the look out for an MK3 shell for a long time. I have the same body as yours (JGTC MK4 supra)for my 1/10 scale drifter. i have several R/C cars including a huge 6hp gas powered 1/5 scale car. If you want to see pics of it lemme know. I didn't wanna hijack your thread without your permission :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I raced 1/8 scale fuel cars for a year and at the end I worked out I could have bought and raced a formula HQ for the same cost! ;)

(then again I did go a bit over the top and that's so unlike me :D )

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
I started looking into what it would take to get a body made. The more I researched the more depressing it became. It would be easier if there were one standard size.

I did find a body (not MkIII) that was a simple vacuum formed plastic - you had to trim it and everything - that would be the least expensive option. But even the mold fees for that were pretty insane. There was no way I could match the price of the existing bodies with the volume we would produce.

Think of it this way. If they charge $20 per body they make their money on volume. Since the MkIII bodies are not a high demand item I'd have to recover the investment with high prices. Of course most people here would balk at the high prices and that would drive the prices higher for those that would pony up the cash.

This isn't a difficult project. Just expensive.

test pilot

Developing video games
Jul 3, 2005
Eugene, OR
Here's my 1/10 scale onroad racer. in the background you can see my B4 buggy. These are a couple i brought in to work with me as desk ornaments. I'll get pics of the 1/5 scale when i put it back together.

Attachments

• IMAG0061.jpg
    IMAG0061.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 82

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
If you're crazy... you can do this on your own. Here's what you'd need to do...

1. Create a mold in the correct scale - most likely you would have to carve it yourself. You could invest in a 3D model and send it out to one of those rapid prototyping shops to have one made into a solid material.
2. Make a vacuum forming table
3. Use the new part as the mould for the plastic
4. Cut out, paint, attach.

That's it. Once you have the mould everything else is easy.

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
these are the only real pics i have of my rs4 which isnt really mine anymore im mostly an offroad guy but since goin broke gettin the supra goin ive had to resort to my POS stampede as my everyday basher :(

sm_photo_missing.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/SupaMan89T/Rc Stuff/Picture1577-1.jpg

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Oh man I miss my Nitro 4tec 3.3. Fast as all hell out of the box. I loved to race it against other cars as they went by on the freeway.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Hmmm...

I wonder if there's a way that I could take the 1/24 scale Mk3 models that I have and use a pantograph type device to double the scale in foam. If I can do that, then I'll have a 1/12 scale model of a Mk3 which would fit on a 1/12 scale RC chassis.

I think I'm going to have to look at DIYing a pantograph with a dremel tool on the other end...