Limequat's 4.2l I6 Swap

agui30

Apr 23, 2007
Whittier, CA
ahhhh, i see what you mean. Separate circuits so one burns up and the other speed still functions, not leaving you stranded. Engineered reliability

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
agui30;1755983 said:
ahhhh, i see what you mean. Separate circuits so one burns up and the other speed still functions, not leaving you stranded. Engineered reliability

Nissan: good shit.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Got my downpipe finished, so now I can do some trouble shooting without blowing out my eardrums. I had to go 2 piece for assembly. I had to use a band clamp for the turbo and decided to use another to mate the two sections of pipe as well. So far they work great.
O2 bung is a welded on spark plug anti-fouler. Get 2 at autozone for $3.59. The upper section is out for ceramic coating.

p1761600_1.jpg

This downpipe has now spent 8 years in my car in 3 different configurations:

7m-gte
4.2 - N/A
and now
4.2 Turbo

Unfortunately, my welding has barely improved :)

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
^ Thanks Rico!

Got my IC in. It's an ebay special. Dual pass. Core dimensions are roughly 20 x 8 x 3.

p1780354_1.jpg

I used its box to make a sleeve for it. I know that it's gonna take a few test fits to fab up the mounts and I don't want to damage any fins. On top, there's quality control checklist from the manufacturer. I don't know if they actually do all of these things for each IC, but if they do it's a good sign.

p1780354_2.jpg

Mocking up...

p1780354_3.jpg

p1780354_4.jpg

p1780354_5.jpg

I pulled the bumper to so that I could have a little room to work. Might have been a bad call. The bumper has been attached for the last 25 years and did not want to come off the car. There are many plastic-plastic interfaces held together with M10 bolts. So far about 60% have broken rather than come out. I hope Toyota has some of this stuff available still. Any tips on disassembling the bumper?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I'm getting much more serious about tearing my wrecked Trailblazer down now.

What did you do about where the axles run through the motor? Were there parts that had to be ditched in there. I know you reversed the sump on the pan, so you probably didn't have to worry much about holes.

My motor is ready to come out as soon as I figure out how to get the axles loose. I pulled the tranny and transfer case over the weekend, but didn't get to fool with that much yet. i just don't remember ever seeing that mentioned

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
ForcedTorque;1780425 said:
I'm getting much more serious about tearing my wrecked Trailblazer down now.

What did you do about where the axles run through the motor? Were there parts that had to be ditched in there. I know you reversed the sump on the pan, so you probably didn't have to worry much about holes.

My motor is ready to come out as soon as I figure out how to get the axles loose. I pulled the tranny and transfer case over the weekend, but didn't get to fool with that much yet. i just don't remember ever seeing that mentioned

I got my engine from a yard, already pulled. The front diff bolts to the pan and the passenger axle passes through it. There's a tube in the oil pan, so the drivetrain is completely separate from the engine. It just looks like it's integrated.
The TB engine is so tall I had to space my subframe down 2" and fab a custom rear sump pan. You can now buy the oil pan from emtech: http://www.emtechmotorsports.com/oilpan.html

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Thanks, guys!

It runs, but the turbo just blows to ATM, ATM. Progress is in SSSLLOOOWWW MMMOOOTIOOONNN as I deal with the regular life stuff. Plus starting a business to help other swappers: www.lime-swap.com