Limequat's 4.2l I6 Swap

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Ok, lower IC pipe is all welded. Time to check for leaks:

p1825517_1.jpg

That's a PVC pipe cap, drilled and tapped for an air hose fitting. Another pipe cap on the other end and I can pressure my IC pipes with my air compressor.

p1825517_2.jpg

p1825517_3.jpg

Putting 25 psi on it:

p1825517_4.jpg

Weld, grind, pressurize. Lather rinse repeat. About half a dozen times.

4 1/2" 80 grit flapper wheel. This is the shit for grinding down gloppy welds. Accept no substitutes.

p1825517_5.jpg

p1825517_6.jpg

Welded on a hanger bracket. It's off to the powdercoater's with you!

p1825517_7.jpg

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
I moved recently and am renting out my old place. That means that Oct 1 is D-Day. Everything must go. Sep 29, everything is moved except one thing: My 1987 Toyota Supra with a Trailblazer I6 engine, a Pontiac Solstice 5 speed manual, and a VVT turbo out of a Duramax. That also means that all of my tools and equipment are already moved.

I came back for the Supra carrying a small plastic tool box, a jump starter, a laptop, a HPTuners interface, and -I figured- maybe a 40% chance of success. I knew the Supra would start and run, but with the move I hadn't had a chance to do any sort of shake down run. It was 6:30 PM on Sep 30. I touched the white hood and said a small prayer to the god of engine swaps. "One more time, old friend. For old time's sake."

I popped the hood and hooked up my charger, hoping some juice would trickle in while I worked on other things. Installed the intake tube v-clamp and slid the air filter over the other end. It was already getting dark in the 4 car garage, so I pushed the Supra out onto the lawn to giver her the once over. Turbo oil feed? Check. Oil drain? Check. Coolant lines -uh- can't really see in this light. Check.

I had not much idea what state the engine calibration was in, so I pulled down whatever was on the PCM and had a look. I had to switch PCMs a while back and never updated the tune. Looking now, I could see that it was still setup for an auto trans, but most non-existent emissions systems were already disabled. The 80 lb/hr injectors were already configured. Good, that's the hard part. Worked some Lime-Swap voodoo, and started reflashed. Said another prayer to the engine-swap gods that the battery had enough juice to keep my HPTuners interface alive. Reflash complete. Shadows getting long.

Turned the key to "On." Listened to the fuel pump run for precisely 2 seconds. Left foot, clutch in. Right foot touched the accelerator. Key turned, and the engine reluctantly rolled a bit then stopped. And then started to roll again. Feathered accelerator and she barked and settled into a nice idle. And then a not-so-nice idle. The interior lights brightened and dimmed as the PCM tried to decide whether it wanted to continue running or not. Not. Stalled. Back to HPTuners. Bump idle by 200 RPM. Reflash. Turned the key and nothing. Then a slight electric whine. A cough, and she's back to life at a comfortable idle. Surely, that consumed the very last electron from my charger. It was then quite dark.

I hopped in and turned on the flip-up headlights, happy that the added alternator load didn't kill the engine. I worked the clutch extra delicately, so as to not stall. The engine sounds happy and the shifting is smooth. I had planned to take backroads on the 30 mile journey, but I can see the coolant gauge creeping to an uncomfortable position. Fuck it. Hit the freeway. We're going home.

One eye on the laptop and one eye on the gauges. I drove by braille. God, the 4200 is a sweetheart of an engine. Smooth, linear, and torquey. And now, what's this? The VVT is definitely spooling, even with the vanes fully open! I watch on the laptop as the MAP sensor maxes out at 103 kPA, even though I'm only half way through the throttle range. Oh man. I CANNOT wait to get boost control on this thing!

Other than some high-temp excursions, the trip home was easy. No stalling. No driveability problems. Now this is my driveway:

p1879197_1.jpg

p1879197_2.jpg

p1879197_3.jpg

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
limequat;1677450 said:
Here's what I'm doing for the oil feed fitting. The stock fitting on the right is oil galley plug for cylinder 6. To use it as an oil feed fitting, I drilled 3/8 through and then tapped M12x1.5 to match the turbo fitting. I also gound flats in the sides so I can put a 19mm wrench on it. Then I spot faced the surface for a good seal to the crush washer. And -because I had it sitting out anyway- a little gun blue to limit oxidation :)

p1879239_1.jpg
how did you spot face the block? i need to do this to a set of calipers for another project

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Congrats on the move sir, sounds like we'll be seeing more updates sooner than later? :D

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
te72;1880054 said:
Congrats on the move sir, sounds like we'll be seeing more updates sooner than later? :D

Hopefully, not I can actually work on it now that the move is done.

Actually, I do have a small update. Went back in my logs and back calculated pressure from airflow and engine speed. Looks like it was making about 4 psi even with no boost control. So I can officially say that I'm on boost again :icon_bigg

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I really think it's interesting, I really want a 3uz to do something like this but keep it toyota. guessing going chevy prolly saved you a big hunk of change too.. maybe I should just get a sc430 for the best of both worlds lol

mtriples

May 25, 2010
Alberta
Any new updates, man? Really curious to see how it spools once you get everything dialed in.

I'm probably another month from having mine back together and running...decided to hold off and wait until I could get a 3.4L stroker since we last talked. I dropped the Fleece vane controller, the control map only has breakpoints up to 3600 rpm...I'd tried for 2 years to get them to rescale it for me, to no avail. Customer service was a little lacking, too. On a plus note, it looks like I'll be able to control the turbo directly with ProEFI though, if my understanding of the solenoid control is accurate. Any chance you'd be willing to share your control scheme in terms of current draw or target PWM frequency?

Something you might be interested in, it's been suggested on some of the powerstroke forums that certain GT40 backplates may be able to bolt on to the 3788va CHRA...in case you find you want a little more flow out of it.

-Matt