Limequat's 4.2l I6 Swap

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
What wouldn't you give for a little more displacement out of the 7M? Or even a 2JZ for that matter? Wouldn't it be sweet if -intead of the V6s- Toyota came out with a 3JZ? And while we're dreaming, how about an aluminum block to keep weight down? And a bellhousing that mates up to a R154?

Well, my 7m has crapped out on me for the last time, I've had enough. I need a real straight-six. And you know what? Three liters is not enough. Three and a half liters is not enough.

You know where I'm going with this?

p1354317_1.jpg

p1354317_2.jpg

p1354317_3.jpg

Last edited:

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Maybe you're not familiar with this engine. Given its application it is most certainly doomed to obscurity. But look at the intake manifold. The design could have been copied right off the 7m. And check out the accesories. Alternator, A/C, power steering pump...all in the same location as the 7m.

Then there's the specs. 290 Hp out of the box, naturally aspirated. The aforementioned aluminum block and head. DOHC, of course, but not with the rackety direct actuated valves (good-bye shims, I don't miss you). VVT on the exhaust side, atleast. It bolts to the R154 using a stock bellhousing. The PCM is mounted to the engine, making wiring simpler. Coil-on-plug and sequential injection (eat your heart out 2JZ fans).

Do you know what it is yet?

supraracer49

3rd Gen Life
Nov 20, 2006
WNC
The word "VORTEC" right on top kinda makes it a dead give away lol

Sad to see this domestic pos going into a supra :( :( :(

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Yep, it's out of a Chevy Trailblazer, and it's certainly no "pos". It's a Wards best engine for several years, smooth powerful, and *cough* reliable. Mine has 23,000 miles on it and is a MY2006.

It's often overlooked because it only ever came in the Trailblazers/Envoys.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Check this out. The mains are all tied together into a single aluminum girdle:

p1354368_1.jpg

The 4200 is only availbe in front sump, so figuring out the oil pan is the first order of business.

SURUKO

making the supra better..
Jan 8, 2007
The tropical island....
nice man looking forward to see how it goes g'luck with your build...:naughty:

limequat;1354365 said:
Yep, it's out of a Chevy Trailblazer, and it's certainly no "pos". It's a Wards best engine for several years, smooth powerful, and *cough* reliable. Mine has 23,000 miles on it and is a MY2006.

It's often overlooked because it only ever came in the Trailblazers/Envoys.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Nice to see someone thinking outside the box.
What does it weigh in at?
Should match up nicely with your AR5?

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
mobes;1354376 said:
Nice to see someone thinking outside the box.
What does it weigh in at?
Should match up nicely with your AR5?

I haven't found exact figures, but about 400 lbs. It's a wash with the 7m-gte.
Should go well with the AR5, but there's no reason why it wouldn't mate just as well with a R154.