just joined the 1uz club

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Grimsta;1639296 said:
aw come on, 1UZs arent hard to do timing belts on. They might look daunting but are actually really really easy to.

I'm not trying to negative, but I never got the facination of the 1UZ swap. The UZ is sort of a sad excuse for a V8. Less power than most "high performance" 6 cylinders. All that money for 30 more HP and about 14 more ft/lbs of torque than a 7M? If you look at it practically, you might as well go 2J and get end up with MORE HP and TRQ than the "V8" right off the bat, or invest the money spent on the swap and build the 7M quite robustly. If its just for the sake of having a V8, why not put in a V8 thats actually worth it?

Care to explain? Like i said, i'm not starting anything, just want to know why people think its cool
Not daunting just the fact he had to dismantle half the car to do the job and the $ involved using all genuine parts on an SC400.....

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
ihiryu;1640165 said:
I had two 2jz's in my car, one was a 2jzgeT (7m electronics) and 2jzgtte. Both died from crank issues. The geT died from oil pump failing, and the 2jz died from crank walk, and keep in mind that second 2j was stock. Got a refund from the guy who sold me the motor, and sold the whole setup to someone else.

I bought a SC400 awhile back (before the supra) for a daily, and it had 226K on it, it's still on the original motor, I sold that car, and see it once in a blue moon. The new owner has put almost another 20K on her. So it's pretty reliable. And keep in mind I ran a 100 shot of nitrous through it for half the time I owned the car. And I beat on it, a lot lol. And it never missed a beat, the worse thing that had happen to me when I owned the 1uz was my ecu taking a poop, but as most people know, it's common in Toyota ecu's anyway.

I have a 1uz five speed turbo in my MKIII, and I did it all for about 2K, maybe a bit more, but I see boost instantly with my turbo, sure it's not as fast as what my 2jzgeT, but it has a lot more low end power than both my 2j's combined. I love the fact that I can shift, 1-3-5, and I never have to downshift on the highway unlike both my 2j's.

Sure the power potential and ease of parts make the 2j very very attractive, but the sound and low end torque that's provided, and plus the piece of mind of this tank of a motor Toyota designed makes it all worthwhile to me.

If I could go back again, I think I would've gone the N/A 1.5uz instead though, but knowing me, I'm addicted to boost, so I probably would've have turbo'ed that anyway lol.

IMO the main things that kill this motor (for power) is lack of engine management, our stock ECU forces to run pig rich (though good for boost), and it's real conservative in timing. But you also have to remember this motor was designed to be smooth and quiet, and what we're trying to do is to make it a screaming demon lol

i would like to see your set up you have any pics or vids...?

sorry brandon for hijacking your thread....

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
Grimsta;1640371 said:
/\/\ Any universal stand alone will solve that problem. Just involves alot of specific wiring. So you did a TURBO 1UZ for about $2K? How much was the engine, did you build the manifolds yourself, what kind of turbo are you using. A turbo setup for those things is generally going to cost at least $2K itself, but your saying you did the engine,turbo setup & everything else for the swap for $2K?

well my setup isn't really that great, but it's the stock headers flipped around into crush bent piping. I'm not a welder so I had to pay the muffler shop to do it. Yeah I did it all for about 2K, it's kind of cheating because a lot of stuff I had left over, and bought second hand.

I bought the 1uz a long time ago (as a spare for my SC4 cause I was way into nitrous) from a guy in Houston for 150 bucks, cause he went 1jz. I bought the mounts from brandon for 125 I bought a used flywheel off of someone on clublexus, who initial bought it from SuperRunner, and I paid 200 for that. I bought a HX35 off of craigslist for 150. I bought the adapter plate from "The Ghoul" here on SM for 200, the TOB for 225, the spacer from Quantum for 15 bucks. Wiring I did here in house, the muffler shop and the flex pipes and v-bands set me back 350 total, the external wastegate I had here, and the clutch and pp I had from a customer who ordered the wrong one, (needed a R154), and gave it to me, so yeah my entire swap I did for about 2k. Oh and I bought two sets of 7mge injectors for like 45 for the set, and I had to buy two sets to get eight of 'em. Bought a new wideband, though it wasn't really needed.

Of course there's misc cost; like oil, filter, I had the oil cooler and sandwich adapter from my old 240sx. Also had a SAFC Neo that I pulled from one of my customers 2jz'ed 240's cause he went AEM EMS. So all in all, plus gauges etc I've got more than 2k into it, but the stuff I had to buy wasn't even 2k yet. Of course, I never intended to make a lot of power, just wanted a fun DD.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

dubsupra209;1640385 said:
i would like to see your set up you have any pics or vids...?

sorry brandon for hijacking your thread....

I have a few pics I sent to redphoenix so he could see my setup, if Brandon doesn't mind I could post it up to his thread. Just remember, I was doing this for as cheap as possible, and wasn't aiming for a lot of power.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
please do post them up!!!
and btw, I did my entire swap including the car for a little over 1300$ and my friend james did his cressida for under $1000. So still way cheaper than a 2j swap.
I also plan on using a hx40 I have laying around the shop that I plan on using, and I'll have rich at daft fab the manifolds for me. Should be able to do the entire turbo setup for under 500$

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
4U2QUIK;1640523 said:
please do post them up!!!
and btw, I did my entire swap including the car for a little over 1300$ and my friend james did his cressida for under $1000. So still way cheaper than a 2j swap.
I also plan on using a hx40 I have laying around the shop that I plan on using, and I'll have rich at daft fab the manifolds for me. Should be able to do the entire turbo setup for under 500$

Dang let me know about those! I'll post pics up tomorrow morning. Lol just don't laugh

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
p1640759_1.jpg

p1640759_2.jpg

p1640759_3.jpg

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
lol nah, I'm only running a SAFC and 315cc's and a WHOOPING...ready for it? Seven PSI dun dun duuuuuuun

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
I had some time this weekend soooooooo.

I present to you my billet steel flywheel.

p1705560_1.jpg

and yes, it's not quite finished, but I think you get the idea

p1705560_2.jpg

p1705560_3.jpg

p1705560_4.jpg

click the pic. it's a video

clic the pic. it's a video.

BTW, the car is finished, and will be attending toyotafest this year! Wohoo. I'll post an update later this month. With pics and vids of the 1uz car in action.