just joined the 1uz club

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
4U2QUIK;1630953 said:
three steps foreward, one step back.
front idler pulley took a crap.... Now I have to pull everything off the front of the engine including the ac pump.....

I have a bud staying here who's been doing the timing belt on his SC400, I don't envy you at the moment :D

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
Got my Supra in operation. Still have to get DMV temp reg tags for break in, looks like i may make the meet if my GF doesn't have plans.
I'd like to see/hear that v8'd supra in person, after hearing the open header video from couple months back :D

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
lolz which ever one your telling me is on the 20th.
I must be really outta the loop lately...

I was gonna go drive the supra legally tonight but after crawling around under a house for work 8hrs, I'd rather shower and sleep and commence giving in to my mania tomorrow ;)

I'd really like to see your v8 supra at the meet, i wasn't kidding lol

How many break in miles would you recommend before my fresh engine is highway eligible?
I plan on buzzing around some back roads at varying speeds for initial break-in, oil change conventional 30w again, and drive the local towns all day, using a gas tank before performing another oil change to 10w30, and graduating to highways. No?

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
well what i did is wait to run synthetic until after 2k miles...for the 1st 2k i ran cheap oil 5w30...for the 1st 50 miles i went up to 4k rpm and all the way to 4th than once i got to 4th i slowly let off gas then down shifted to 3rd and did same thing all the way to 1st...i did this continuously until i did my 50 miles...once i did the 50 miles i changed my oil...stay out of 5th gear!

so for the next 500 miles i just stayed out of 5k and tried not to take it over 4k rpm and tried to always stay shifting through the gears....after that 500 miles i did another oil change. so now i was able to take it to 5th gear but still stayed under 4k rpm through all the gears....now you can drive on the freeway but every so many miles take a exit and get back on so you can go through all the gears.....i did this for the next 1k miles.

after that 1k miles which is 2k now...i changed to 0w30 castrol synthetic euro blend..i still didn't smash on it for the next 500 miles or so...ever since than ive been boosting and this is 10k miles ago and no problems....

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
IJ.;1635087 said:
I have a bud staying here who's been doing the timing belt on his SC400, I don't envy you at the moment :D
aw come on, 1UZs arent hard to do timing belts on. They might look daunting but are actually really really easy to.

I'm not trying to negative, but I never got the facination of the 1UZ swap. The UZ is sort of a sad excuse for a V8. Less power than most "high performance" 6 cylinders. All that money for 30 more HP and about 14 more ft/lbs of torque than a 7M? If you look at it practically, you might as well go 2J and get end up with MORE HP and TRQ than the "V8" right off the bat, or invest the money spent on the swap and build the 7M quite robustly. If its just for the sake of having a V8, why not put in a V8 thats actually worth it?

Care to explain? Like i said, i'm not starting anything, just want to know why people think its cool

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
Thanks for the low-down of your successful break in, dub.

Grim, my fascination is more about v8s in general.
I greatly dislike 90% of the v6s because they usually sound like garbage, its a hack v8, and I6 is better.
But a v8 is 2 inline 4s set at 90* sharing the same crank. the result is a smooth torque curve, intake flows from the valley out, and throttle response is good, a lot of volume in a small space.
Secretly I'm a geek that looks beyond numbers and gets a thrill from innovation.
With that said, the vr6 is pretty neat too...

How did each of you feel when you learned that Nissan went off the I6 path when the 350z came out?
Personally I felt they were making compromises, breaking tradition.
Toyota seems to have went "family" and sports cars just aren't on their platter right now.
So the argument that if a new Supra came out and it didn't have an Inline 6, available as turbo, or be able to surpass the previous generations in performance would be a real crock.
And so Lexus has gotten more sporty while Toyota turns out family vehicles.

Dub, is the swap for reliability, doing something different, out of convenience, or balanced engine performance?
And yes I like your sway because its different, cool, and clean install.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Grimsta;1639296 said:
aw come on, 1UZs arent hard to do timing belts on. They might look daunting but are actually really really easy to.

I'm not trying to negative, but I never got the facination of the 1UZ swap. The UZ is sort of a sad excuse for a V8. Less power than most "high performance" 6 cylinders. All that money for 30 more HP and about 14 more ft/lbs of torque than a 7M? If you look at it practically, you might as well go 2J and get end up with MORE HP and TRQ than the "V8" right off the bat, or invest the money spent on the swap and build the 7M quite robustly. If its just for the sake of having a V8, why not put in a V8 thats actually worth it?

Care to explain? Like i said, i'm not starting anything, just want to know why people think its cool

hes building a built 7m also for his other mk3...this 1 is more a budget build...Ive been around since he started this build and im pretty sure he spent more money on the clutch and flywheel than the car and motor lol....i prefer the 1uz in the cressida to tell you the truth....

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

thedave925;1639334 said:
Dub, is the swap for reliability, doing something different, out of convenience, or balanced engine performance?
And yes I like your sway because its different, cool, and clean install.

no i have a 7m lol i don't have a 1uz i got a 2jzge that i might have plans for in the near future...but i wouldn't mind getting a cressida for a dd and swapping a 1uz in it since its so cheap...and brandon is my buddy and hes got all the swap parts i need...but that would be the furture...im really considering maybe going 2j instead of built 7m....but im really happy with my 7m i kept up with my friends 2j on stock twins and 15psi and i was at 6.5 but i only stayed with him in 3rd lol....

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
my big kick is that it's not neccessarilly the hp and tq potential out of the box, but what can be done, and has been done with a stock 1uz block. With it's 6 bolt main setup and beefy internals (we're talkin early blocks here) It can handle anything you could throw at a 2j and more. And for a fraction of the price.

and I'm also doing a built 7m like dub said. I forged and arp'd my everything for this one. lol

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
/\/\ Is it a fraction of the price? 2Js are dirty cheap these days.

I see and I can respect that. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. As far as Nissan going V6 in the Zs, i could care less. If its a better powerplant than the previous one, more power to you. The VG30DETTs, VQ35s and now the VQ37. They keep improving and improving, no downside to that.

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
Grimsta;1640120 said:
/\/\ Is it a fraction of the price? 2Js are dirty cheap these days.

I see and I can respect that. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. As far as Nissan going V6 in the Zs, i could care less. If its a better powerplant than the previous one, more power to you. The VG30DETTs, VQ35s and now the VQ37. They keep improving and improving, no downside to that.

I had two 2jz's in my car, one was a 2jzgeT (7m electronics) and 2jzgtte. Both died from crank issues. The geT died from oil pump failing, and the 2jz died from crank walk, and keep in mind that second 2j was stock. Got a refund from the guy who sold me the motor, and sold the whole setup to someone else.

I bought a SC400 awhile back (before the supra) for a daily, and it had 226K on it, it's still on the original motor, I sold that car, and see it once in a blue moon. The new owner has put almost another 20K on her. So it's pretty reliable. And keep in mind I ran a 100 shot of nitrous through it for half the time I owned the car. And I beat on it, a lot lol. And it never missed a beat, the worse thing that had happen to me when I owned the 1uz was my ecu taking a poop, but as most people know, it's common in Toyota ecu's anyway.

I have a 1uz five speed turbo in my MKIII, and I did it all for about 2K, maybe a bit more, but I see boost instantly with my turbo, sure it's not as fast as what my 2jzgeT, but it has a lot more low end power than both my 2j's combined. I love the fact that I can shift, 1-3-5, and I never have to downshift on the highway unlike both my 2j's.

Sure the power potential and ease of parts make the 2j very very attractive, but the sound and low end torque that's provided, and plus the piece of mind of this tank of a motor Toyota designed makes it all worthwhile to me.

If I could go back again, I think I would've gone the N/A 1.5uz instead though, but knowing me, I'm addicted to boost, so I probably would've have turbo'ed that anyway lol.

IMO the main things that kill this motor (for power) is lack of engine management, our stock ECU forces to run pig rich (though good for boost), and it's real conservative in timing. But you also have to remember this motor was designed to be smooth and quiet, and what we're trying to do is to make it a screaming demon lol

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
/\/\ Any universal stand alone will solve that problem. Just involves alot of specific wiring. So you did a TURBO 1UZ for about $2K? How much was the engine, did you build the manifolds yourself, what kind of turbo are you using. A turbo setup for those things is generally going to cost at least $2K itself, but your saying you did the engine,turbo setup & everything else for the swap for $2K?