Just grumbling... What have you forgotten to do when working on your car?

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
fixitman04;1414416 said:
i may have one that would work, let me go check.... i have 3 of them for my celica.. should be the same.

never mind i just noticed that you were talking about a honda

lol NBD. The motorad, while hideous, has been doing its job for over a year now. Its a 2000 TL and i think im the only one thats opened the hood in the last 5 years or so. It will likely never get changed. Thanks none the less!

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
when i swapped from a 4.3 rear end to the 3.9,
we filled the diff with oil, tightened all the bolts while the car was still on jackstands.
so i wana make sure it doesnt grind/ makes noise.
i turn on the car and put it in 1st gear(the car was on jackstands). I feel a hard jerk and the engine stalls.
DAMn! im thinking the diff is seized or something worse.

The hand brake was on -_-

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Tjay;1414017 said:
I think mine take's the cake for stupidity award..

Ok this was about a year ago, when I first started to get into supra's and didn't know my head from my ass when it came to working on car's.

I was trying to set the timing, so I got the socket set out and turned the crank to the tdc marks, made sure everything lined up, hooked up my timing light, got a phone call from a friend and walked away from the car for about 5 min, came back and jumped in and started it without checking things..I hear a horrible "CLANG, BANG, CLANG, CLANG", I quickly shut the car off and get out and on the ground there is my crank pulley bolt.. along with my wrench...I had forgotten the wrench on the pulley bolt...luckily all it did was knock the line to my oil cooler off..

...I still feel like a moron for that one..

I've also forgot the afm plug...get in try and start it, and start panicking..LOL

Did the same exact thing but I was at the stage where my motor hadn't run yet and I had everything set up for it to finally start.

well it did.... with my socket wrench on the crank bolt. It was really slow like it was firing on 3 cyls so I gave it more gas and felt like the motor was being turned w/o combustion so I shut it off and find my socket wrench against my fan housing...

Luckily the torque of the motor broke the socket direction into the other way so it did not undo the bolt but instead just rode with it.

Everything was fine. But damn that was such a dumb move.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Heh, when we put my steering wheel on we did check that the wheels were pointing forward... then I drove it and the wheel was almost 90º off... felt VERY odd to drive that way.

I've forgotten the oil cap before as well... got a little messy as I didn't notice for a day. :( I've yet to ever forget my gas cap though.

Forgot that I had JUST installed a push button kill switch when I stalled at a light... only 10 minutes or so later... embarrassing as it took about 2 cycles for me to realize why my car wouldn't turn over.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I didn't push the auto torque converter over all 3 gears, and noticed when it wouldn't mate up snug to the block. I was installing it with the car on jackstands and ramps...
eric

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
I was getting the crank to TDC using a socket wrench on the harmonic balancer pulley. Did what I had to do, got distracted, and forgot about the wrench. Started her up. Bam. The socket got jammed against the radiator. I ended up loosening the crank pulley bolt, putting a nice size dent in my PWR radiator, and cracking a blade on the fan. I got a new (used - new to me) fan, torqued the crank pulley bolt, and luckily, didn't have a leak from the PWR. Good times. :3d_frown:

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Swapping an engine into my sister's 91 Tercel I forgot which order the crank/spacer/flexplate/stiffener plate/bolts (that is the correct order) went onto the crank. Put it together wrong, started up the car and WHHHHRRRRRRRBZZZZZ with sparks flying out from in between the engine and trans.
Didn't have time to fix it, shop was closing down for the night, so I left it be. Went away after a couple miles, though... Eventually flipped it around when the rear main seal leaked.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
1st time i "rebuilt" my 1st 7mgte, i forgot to bolt the rear main seal on, the oil pan was bolted to it, but the housing wasnt bolted to the block.
almost 7k miles later rod knock from lack of oil lol.

927MGTE

Mar 20, 2008
BEL AIR, MD
putting the motor in my 65 mustang a while back my 5 year old was "helping" me ie driving me crazy put the motor in got it all bolted up wnet to put the starter on and realized i forgot to put the flexplate on ugh

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
My first rebuild I got my motor back from the engine shop and they had removed some parts and gave them to me in a box when they worked the block. I had never seen the parts before and thought they gave me the box by mistake. Well turns out that the box of parts was mine and it was my oil squirters and main oil galley end plugs! Unfortunately I did not figure this out until the motor was in the car and I went to start it and in the 2 seconds it kicked on for it dumped 5qts of oil on the ground! So put the main line plug in and tried again but no oil pressure because no oil squirters! Man was that a rough week so I pulled the subframe, and pan and installed the squirters with the motor install, all not on a lift!!!!! But didn't forget on my next rebuild!

Seth

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I forgot to bolt up my fan shroud
What happened next??? I'm not even gonna say,.... close your eyes and use your imagination.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
sethron71;1415948 said:
My first rebuild I got my motor back from the engine shop and they had removed some parts and gave them to me in a box when they worked the block. I had never seen the parts before and thought they gave me the box by mistake. Well turns out that the box of parts was mine and it was my oil squirters and main oil galley end plugs! Unfortunately I did not figure this out until the motor was in the car and I went to start it and in the 2 seconds it kicked on for it dumped 5qts of oil on the ground! So put the main line plug in and tried again but no oil pressure because no oil squirters! Man was that a rough week so I pulled the subframe, and pan and installed the squirters with the motor install, all not on a lift!!!!! But didn't forget on my next rebuild!

Seth

Holy crap! Everything was still alright though... at least you didn't trash it.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
CRE;1416077 said:
Holy crap! Everything was still alright though... at least you didn't trash it.

Haha yea it was when I was like 17 never rebuilt a motor and just went at it. Car hasn't run in a long time just sitting but last time it made 440rwhp so everything was good. Only ran for maybe 2-5 secs and then shut it down! lol Live and learn!

Seth

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
replaced the head gasket on my car a while back, set the ignition timing, cranked the car, it fires up and then stalls, after about 2 hours i gave up since i had school the next day, i just decided to finish it another day, till i fiddled around with one of the relays/module things on the driver side of the hood and one of the harnesses were loose and i plugged it in, fixed :D