Just grumbling... What have you forgotten to do when working on your car?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Well, just finished a LOT of work on my car with the help of SupraRX7Nut... Thanks Andy!

Heater core, N/A-T, alarm rewire, oil cooler and thermostat install and other small things.

I picked the car up from Sparky's awesome, huge garage last night. I ran the car to make sure nothing was gushing out the bottom... my wife spotted a trail of coolant snaking it's way out from underneath. I missed one of the coolant clamps on the lower rad hose... no biggie. I found when I made a pit stop on my way home (50 mile drive total) that I've got an oil leak at the oil cooler.. I'm thinking the fitting wasn't tightened... I hope that's the case, I'd hate to have to replace a brand new oil cooler. I figure the fitting or the hose are the most likely suspects. Other than the leak though, the car is running GREAT!

So, what have you missed when working on your car?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
CRE;1413718 said:
Well, just finished a LOT of work on my car with the help of SupraRX7Nut... Thanks Andy!

Heater core, N/A-T, alarm rewire, oil cooler and thermostat install and other small things.

I picked the car up from Sparky's awesome, huge garage last night. I ran the car to make sure nothing was gushing out the bottom... my wife spotted a trail of coolant snaking it's way out from underneath. I missed one of the coolant clamps on the lower rad hose... no biggie. I found when I made a pit stop on my way home (50 mile drive total) that I've got an oil leak at the oil cooler.. I'm thinking the fitting wasn't tightened... I hope that's the case, I'd hate to have to replace a brand new oil cooler. I figure the fitting or the hose are the most likely suspects. Other than the leak though, the car is running GREAT!

So, what have you missed when working on your car?

Not supra related but... I changed the oil on my jeep and it's easier if you unplug the oil pressure sensor to get at the filter. I forgot to plug it back in and go to drive to work and I got 0 oil pressure and freak out. It took me a second to also see the 'check gauges' light which right away reminded me of the unplugged sensor. Still scary to see 0psi suddenly.

I always try to make check lists of stuff to remember before start up though.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Glad to help, Christoph. You know I enjoy the pain. ;) Though now I'm dying to turbo my NA... :(

Forgot a screwdriver on the inside fender of my Accord when I was 16. Drove about 50 miles with it there, got out and realized the hood looked crooked. Opened it to find the screwdriver propping up the hood slightly. Oops.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Good to hear man, how are you likeing it?

I forgot to tighten the turbo oil feed line and it leaked everywhere after my first drive. Left rabidchimp a bit of an upsetting email, thinking it was a bad hose, followed by an apologie when I realized my mistake:icon_redf He understood..

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
A long time ago another member and I cracked a water pump housing by tightening the bolt to the length instead of the torque spec.... :(

Same member and I also pulled a dash half way out of a car to find the source of a power issue.... a bad fuse. :3d_frown:

Dumbo, I'm liking it, but I'm still in the paranoid as all hell club right now, so I'm babying it big time.... well, that and driving my wife's 89 Accord for two weeks has turned me into a fast granny. :icon_razz

Tjay

Sep 20, 2008
Alberta
I think mine take's the cake for stupidity award..

Ok this was about a year ago, when I first started to get into supra's and didn't know my head from my ass when it came to working on car's.

I was trying to set the timing, so I got the socket set out and turned the crank to the tdc marks, made sure everything lined up, hooked up my timing light, got a phone call from a friend and walked away from the car for about 5 min, came back and jumped in and started it without checking things..I hear a horrible "CLANG, BANG, CLANG, CLANG", I quickly shut the car off and get out and on the ground there is my crank pulley bolt.. along with my wrench...I had forgotten the wrench on the pulley bolt...luckily all it did was knock the line to my oil cooler off..

...I still feel like a moron for that one..

I've also forgot the afm plug...get in try and start it, and start panicking..LOL

StrikeIS

Apr 1, 2009
Va
I forgot to strighten the steering wheel when I replaced the steering rack on my supra and now when Im driving stright it looks like Im turning right.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
afm plug was the big one for me. also put the brake caliper brackets on and started attaching the caliper before i realized the rotor's laying beside me. that was a long night.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
just the other day i forgot to put the intake pipe back on the celica. went for a 15 mile drive and complained the whole time about how rough it was running.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Tjay;1414017 said:
I think mine take's the cake for stupidity award..

Ok this was about a year ago, when I first started to get into supra's and didn't know my head from my ass when it came to working on car's.

I was trying to set the timing, so I got the socket set out and turned the crank to the tdc marks, made sure everything lined up, hooked up my timing light, got a phone call from a friend and walked away from the car for about 5 min, came back and jumped in and started it without checking things..I hear a horrible "CLANG, BANG, CLANG, CLANG", I quickly shut the car off and get out and on the ground there is my crank pulley bolt.. along with my wrench...I had forgotten the wrench on the pulley bolt...luckily all it did was knock the line to my oil cooler off..

...I still feel like a moron for that one..

I've also forgot the afm plug...get in try and start it, and start panicking..LOL

The indentical happed to me with the socket on the crank bolt

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
gaboonviper85;1413987 said:
Put a quart of oil in the poopra recently....forgot too put the oil cap back on....fail.

Did this after changing the oil in my mothers car. I think I left it on the engine. Lost forever.... Now shes got a ghetto motorad cap from vatozone. I'll be damned to pay honda ~$50 for a new one. I'll snag one in a junkyard someday.

Also have forgotten to plug afms and mafs back in. Left the ratchet on the crank bolt....the list goes on.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
i may have one that would work, let me go check.... i have 3 of them for my celica.. should be the same.

never mind i just noticed that you were talking about a honda