Jon's 1989 1JZ single turbo restoration and build: Stellllllaaaaa!

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Hey everyone!

I've had my Supra 'Stella' for about 3 years now. 2 years ago I swapped in a 1JZ. It had smoky twins so I put it in storage and it's just been sitting due to lack of time and a place to work on it (college student). Now, after waiting for about a year and a half, I finally get the chance to do my single turbo conversion. Here's what I've done so far (20% done or so):

• Pull stock twins (done, what a pain!)
  • Test fit/clearance single manifold (done)
  • Pull motor/trans (done)
  • Build custom injector resistor pack (done)
  • Swap ECU plugs on engine harness to 2JZ plugs for AEM (done)
  • Strip and paint block with POR-15 (in progress, between coats right now)

Other mods will be divulged as they happen so stay tuned cus it's a long list :D

Here's a few snapshots:

Twins out (what a pain! 4 hours of constant knuckle busting):
IMG_3541.jpg

Manifold "clearanced":
IMG_3544.jpg

Test fit:
IMG_3546.jpg

Resistor pack and harness:
IMG_3558.jpg

2JZ ECU plugs:
IMG_3559.jpg

Prepping block for paint:
IMG_3566.jpg

<strong bad>POR-15'd!!!</strong bad>:
IMG_3571.jpg

Back to work I go!

Last edited:

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
Looks like those pictures are displayed dynamically through PHP so they won't show up in the post.
tags aren't going to work.

Progress is looking good so far! :bigthumb:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Pics fixed. I guess VBulletin doesn't like my gallery so I put the pics in a folder on my site instead of just using the gallery images.

I pulled the motor to replace some seals, clean it up, and paint it.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
It's the actual body. Mine interfered by about 1/8". I've heard of some that were bad enough that they couldn't be used.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Some progress updates:

I added a flex section and V-band flange to the SSAC downpipe (not bad for my second time on the TIG I think):
IMG_3642.jpg

The motor is in, intake, TB, and water neck polished, FPR mounted and plumbed:
IMG_3644.jpg

IMG_3647.jpg

I still have to polish the compressor cover and PS reservoir, run some vacuum lines, mount and plumb the IC, make a bracket for the catch can, etc etc... but it's coming along nicely. I really wish I had more time to devote to this project as it's been quite enjoyable but slow moving.

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Bozeman. I always welcome Supra fans but I think that it'd be quite a bit out of your way. Montana isn't exactly a small state :)

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
boostadikt said:
looking good..... are you building the motor? otherwise why did you take it out to go single?

I took mine out to paint the block and engine bay, looks like he did the same :icon_bigg
Also alot easier to install things like resistor pack, harness mods, etc.

Next time, take the engine out BEFORE you remove the twins, it's only about a 30min process when the motor is out.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Cool project.I wish i had the funds to do a 1jz swap(also a college student). Oh and i flew into bozeman 2 years ago when i took a ski trip to Big Sky..best skiing ive ever had. :thumbup:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
AEM EMS is in:

IMG_3660.jpg

I got the intercooler pipes and bracketry mocked up today. Hopefully I can get them welded this week. I also started polishing the compressor cover.

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
I finished the intercooler and intake pipes, and the intercooler and catch can installed today. I snapped a few pics during the process:

IMG_3767.jpg

The IC pipes are made from 90 degree J-bends from an eBay kit. I think they turned out pretty swell. I mocked them up and had a friend TIG weld them, then I ground the welds flat, rolled beads on the ends with a modified Harbor Freight ring roller, and polished them. The intake pipe is a custom 4" bend with a -10 AN bung welded to it for the catch can.

IMG_3771.jpg

The intercooler is your usual 24x12x3" generic. The tags on the intercooler mount it securely using the stock IC mounting points. They look small, but between those and some aluminum straps on the bottom, it's very solid.

IMG_3778.jpg

IMG_3781.jpg

IMG_3782.jpg

That's about it for now. I'm moving to Texas on Monday so it will be on hold for a while. Hopefully it won't be long before I can find a place with a nice garage.

To do:
  • Weld dump tube and mount to wastegate
  • Try to get AEM to do something about my wideband gauge that melted in the sun :icon_evil
  • Finish wiring my gauges
  • Tune the AEM
  • Move on to suspension, brakes, paint, interior etc

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Supra28 said:
That is one good looking motor
Thank you sir. I put a lot of elbow grease into it. I just hope it has the power to back up the bling.

Last edited: