James' 89 Supra Turbo

suprafreak123;2017501 said:
A e e you going to rebuild

Yes, I'll be rebuilding the transmission. I probably won't do it right away since the motor still needs to be rebuilt. I'll sell the automatic and use those funds towards a nice clutch and lightweight flywheel.

This supra will be a 5-speed by the first startup, I can guarantee that.

PS I work in Newport Beach, howdy neighbor.

Got a little more time to work on it, I'm only doing about a couple hours per week so far.

Got it up on jackstands so I could fit under.
Untitled by cobblewagen, on Flickr

All fluids are drained - transmission, motor oil, power steering, all associated lines and coolers
by cobblewagen, on Flickr

Sway bar removed, removed PS pump, removed charge piping between turbo/intercooler.

I posted a wanted ad for some parts... The prices some people ask just blows my mind.

Anyway, among the things I've purchased recently, still waiting for delivery:

- Blue driver's side seatbelt guide
- Clutch pedal (still looking for M/T brake pedal, PM me if you're selling one)
- Beech performance short shifter, used in good shape
- Power mirror switch (nonfolding)
- Power window master switch - AUTO lettering is good, still has UP switch. Got two, one for a spare.

First ordered part to arrive for the car... oh, what a feeling. Piece of shit keeps blowing fuses. How frustrating. I'll have to find a better solution.

My neighbors must think I'm insane... there are 2 more 4Runners in the street this photo doesn't show

Last edited:
Seat belt guide
14732985127_eecd7516d8_b.jpg
14930123861_e0f42970d3_b.jpg

Power window switch with functional UP button
14930164671_b0a86c1fa2_b.jpg

Beech performance short shifter with marlin crawler shifter ball bushing
14746646677_08f2e124af_b.jpg

Clutch pedal. Pedal cover going in the trash, I'll be replacing clutch and manual brake (when I get one) with new OEM rubber pedal pads.
14746552700_a96983a229_b.jpg

Fluidyne aluminum radiator. Older model, so you know it's good quality.
14933206485_fcea6231b0_b.jpg

14932843662_d600a9d27f_b.jpg

Flex-a-lite 220's on the other side... not sure how much I like FAL's reputation, CFM is lower than I like. Worth a shot.
14930118871_e15d82cd4f_b.jpg

Got the car up on 4 stands, removed the catalytic converter and exhaust. The undercarriage is in good shape all around, no rust of any kind whatsoever. Soon the trans will be disconnected, etc.

A little test of dirt cleanup. Detail work will be done when the motor is out.

More touch up, each door edge

Not perfect, but better.

Compared to:

The car had been accumulating dirt in the paint. It is in too good of shape to leave unprotected. 10 years sitting means no wax, etc. Gave it a little bit of a wax job, by hand. I need to buy an orbital buffer.

Last edited:
No real progress on the Supra since last time. I did progress towards things that will help the Supra soon.

My air compressor at home is a 55 gallon. It handles tools great, although I don't actually own any. Got myself a 1/2" 800ft/lb impact wrench, with an impact socket set (deep wall sockets, wobble sockets, and extensions). I don't like borrowing tools from people, and this one is my #1 used air tool.

Tested it out by taking off the wheels in about 2 minutes.

Also pulled the rest of the exhaust off

To clear some clutter from the garage, we built a shed in the backyard. I have a great waterproof storage solution now. Soon I will have the garaged sorted and cleaned up, the engine will have space for rebuild.

Borrowed an orbital buffer and went to town... spotless.

Tail lights too - they look great.

Vacuumed the inside.

Under the spoiler was pretty dirty. Had to get under there to remove the antenna, which has a bent mast. Already appears someone broke one of the clips and tried to glue it back.

Don't have a new antenna yet, but I wanted to test fit a cover I picked up.

Photos from when you can't help but stare...

Found a manual brake pedal - just need a clutch master and slave and the hydraulic system is ready.

I found a really good deal on craigslist for a couple of the wheels I have been thinking of running - Enkei RPF1 18x8, +35. Two for the price of one pretty much.

I only have two so far, but it should be enough to gauge how they look on the car.

15678533641_e20374c3bd_b.jpg

15495654090_4c97b39e00_b.jpg

15061157063_c7672a5e9c_b.jpg

15060577494_28ca52cd4f_b.jpg

15495717780_9bf0c3dbd2_b.jpg

15061156413_465eb0fea1_b.jpg

]I'm not sure if I like the rear bumper paint, it seems a bit more yellow than the rest

Last edited:
jugodegolf;2028060 said:
Good start. Kinda fond of white supra's.

Thank you.

My 1987 4Runner is red, which is cool and all, but a deep metallic cherry red Supra... yes. I really like the color red your car is. I have always wanted dark red for a car, maybe someday. Even in video games, I almost exclusively have dark red cars.

I've had this MKIII longer than I've had my actual MKIII. Gran Turismo 5 shot in photography mode, track is cape ring periphery.

Turbo-@

Jun 15, 2014
Moreno Valley, CA
TurboTruck;2028322 said:
Thank you.

My 1987 4Runner is red, which is cool and all, but a deep metallic cherry red Supra... yes. I really like the color red your car is. I have always wanted dark red for a car, maybe someday. Even in video games, I almost exclusively have dark red cars.

I've had this MKIII longer than I've had my actual MKIII. Gran Turismo 5 shot in photography mode, track is cape ring periphery.

That's a Turbo-A! Hell yeah.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Wow, I'm not sure how I missed all the recent updates in this build. Looks like you are making good progress with the Supra. I love both your 4Runners too. I've been through the build threads on both of them on T4R and they are beautiful. I've got a 3rd gen 4Runner too. I've done a little bit of stuff to it, but it's no where even near the level of your's. Both the MK3 Supra and 3rd gen 4Runner are great cars, some of the best Toyota built in my opinion, but I may be biased haha.

Just FYI that front strut tower bar won't improve the handling or feeling of the Supra due to the suspension design, just incase you were expecting it to. They are really only for looks on these cars.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
TurboTruck;2026766 said:
by cobblewagen

Any info on the carcover? Touch up and buffing is always good. Let me know if you getting rid of the parts car's 89 wheel. Oh almost forgot which color car?
the one on the right is kinda rare garnet pearl.

George

Silver MK3;2028351 said:
Wow, I'm not sure how I missed all the recent updates in this build. Looks like you are making good progress with the Supra. I love both your 4Runners too. I've been through the build threads on both of them on T4R and they are beautiful. I've got a 3rd gen 4Runner too. I've done a little bit of stuff to it, but it's no where even near the level of your's. Both the MK3 Supra and 3rd gen 4Runner are great cars, some of the best Toyota built in my opinion, but I may be biased haha.

Just FYI that front strut tower bar won't improve the handling or feeling of the Supra due to the suspension design, just incase you were expecting it to. They are really only for looks on these cars.

Thank you for the compliments on my trucks. Glad to see another 4Runner owner here, are you registered on T4R.ORG? I'd like to see your 4Runner, preferably photographed alongside your MKIII :)

Thanks for dropping in, shame about that strut bar, but oh well, I'll decide what I want to do with it when I actually get that far. Seemed like a good trade at the time, seeing as the strut bar on my old car helped a lot. Then again, the suspension geometry on this car is quite different. Sway bars coming soon hopefully.

jugodegolf;2028386 said:
TurboTruck;2026766 said:
by cobblewagen

Any info on the carcover? Touch up and buffing is always good. Let me know if you getting rid of the parts car's 89 wheel. Oh almost forgot which color car?
the one on the right is kinda rare garnet pearl.

George

I guess I thought they were the same color, dark red in general, really.

I have the 89 wheel if you're interested, it could use TLC. A nice cover and a new horn pad would take it up a few notches.

The car cover is bestop brand. The cover itself was not made for a MKIII, so it's actually just a few inches too small. Since the photo I've gotten a different car cover.

I can put up photos if you want to see it, it's of good size, but again not made for a MKIII

Top came back, wrong color. I understand this is panel painting but this was just an awful match. The shop responsible for the headliner damage was also responsible for mixing the paint, another mistake letting a body shop do the work. They've taken it back to respray it in an effort to fix their mistakes... at this point, the top is just about junk.

15767634306_06b4d42e85_b.jpg

15171354124_df8d1e6428_b.jpg

Here's the absolute JOKE of a headliner they installed... not having any of this... no.
15606144387_d912a1990a_b.jpg

Went on craigslist and found a Targa part out. Bought the headliner. I sent it out today to get rewrapped.
15791299525_e3b7860687_b.jpg

15606472000_5dba423f03_b.jpg

Replacement Targa top seals from Toyota.
15605897098_d981b6193f_b.jpg

15789434891_4180493112_b.jpg

Sunvisors already rewrapped... I like them. The headliner is getting done with the same fabric.
15792869992_c75d6b73d3_b.jpg

15792868502_cc5761cfed_b.jpg

No mirrors on purpose. I hate vanity mirrors.
15606146637_aa5392d67a_b.jpg

15606146737_20af2e5faa_b.jpg

Folding mirrors are expected next week... I'm thinking they'll be destroyed if anything else is a sign.
15605897578_9b81c06b77_b.jpg

Last edited:

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
TurboTruck;2029683 said:
Thank you for the compliments on my trucks. Glad to see another 4Runner owner here, are you registered on T4R.ORG? I'd like to see your 4Runner, preferably photographed alongside your MKIII :)

Thanks for dropping in, shame about that strut bar, but oh well, I'll decide what I want to do with it when I actually get that far. Seemed like a good trade at the time, seeing as the strut bar on my old car helped a lot. Then again, the suspension geometry on this car is quite different. Sway bars coming soon hopefully.

I am registered on T4R, but I've never posted anything there. Only been a member for a few weeks now. I just read through everything and look through build threads wishing mine was as cool as some of the ones over there. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the MK3 with the 4Runner surprisingly. I'd go take some now, but the 4Runner is dirty and it's too cold to wash it right now. Here's the best shot I have of the 4Runner.

Its an 01 SR5 4x4 with the wide painted flares. It's mostly stock for now, it's got new OEM replacement suspension, air lift in the rear, window visors, bug deflector, weathertechs, Tacoma whip antenna, and that's about it as of now. Right now I'm working on a Satoshi grill for it that I've never seen done on a 3rd gen. Hopefully it comes out well. I pulled the running boards the other day and put some mudflaps and it completely changed the look of the truck.

Here's my Supra, so it's kinda like having a picture of them next to each other haha.

I really want to have some paint work done on my Supra like you had done on your's but I am worried about the panels not matching, and not sure if I would want the shop to try and blend the paint either on a 27 year old car.