James' 89 Supra Turbo

Disclaimer: Tons of photos in this thread.

This thread covers my 1989 Supra Turbo since the first day I owned it, July 7th, 2014.

My name is James, I am a Toyota lover. I am a moderator for T4R.ORG, a 4Runner forum. I am a college student and wrenching is one of my hobbies.

My personal vehicles/projects:
99 4Runner (2wd to 4wd conversion, 5-speed swap, supercharged)
87 4Runner (5-speed swap, CT-26 turbo, bought it for $900 from a junkyard)

In 2004, I caught the Supra bug. My family bought a damaged 90 N/A Targa, white package with blue interior. The front of the car was involved in a low speed accident. The cheap body shop installed the wrong year front bumper.

I wasn't old enough to drive legally, so I only got to admire it. My first time driving was in that car, though.

It was sold shortly after.
14616912332_f057a1f5cb_b.jpg

14430824528_af08cabebf_o.jpg

10 years later, I've got my very own MKIII.

89 Supra Turbo - 130,000 miles, one owner, garaged daily. Targa top, white package, blue cloth interior.
Car is automatic - it will be 5-speed swapped like both my trucks. Blown head gasket is the reason for sale. The price was right.
14486550339_9f79f22cab_b.jpg

My 99 4Runner
12445614964_7a9ea059a7_b.jpg

My 87 Turbo 4Runner
13891547647_ced55d4b07_b.jpg

Last edited:
Day 1
July 7, 2014

Untitled by cobblewagen, on Flickr

First day by cobblewagen, on Flickr

[video=youtube;MlIdsBPtUmo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlIdsBPtUmo[/video]

Photos from the seller
IMG_6721-20140706-222226 by cobblewagen, on Flickr

IMG_6739-20140706-223122 by cobblewagen, on Flickr

IMG_6723-20140706-222509 by cobblewagen, on Flickr

IMG_6727-20140706-223148 by cobblewagen, on Flickr

IMG_6735-20140706-222805 by cobblewagen, on Flickr

IMG_6736-20140706-222711 by cobblewagen, on Flickr

IMG_6737-20140706-222644 by cobblewagen, on Flickr

Last edited:
I started the day off by stopping at a local paint store, I had them mix me up some Super White touch up paint. I also bought some SEM Trim Black for later.
Later on, I replaced the completely defunct battery in the car. I had an extra that just happened to be the right size.

Note the scratch on the left portion of the front bumper, near the signal lamp.

Touch up paint applied. Trickle charger also hooked up to keep her charged up.

Damaged rear bumper

Will buff the rest out later, otherwise it's looking better with some touch up.

My Toyotas!

757_supra

Ich bin das boost!
Mar 3, 2012
US
Beautiful, clean Supra, congrats. And major props for not wanting to do some ugly body mods, like ive seen done. Q: what coilover setup do you think youll go with?

akito;2014176 said:
Holy bat man, them trucks are sweet! The supra is sooooo clean omg! Good luck with the build!

Thanks! I worked hard to get my trucks where they are. The supra will join the ranks soon :)

dmp316;2014185 said:
I will say it again. Love that 87. Good luck with that supra she is very clean.

Thanks, the luck oughta come in handy. The 87 and the Supra sure make a nice driveway combo.

757_supra;2014189 said:
Beautiful, clean Supra, congrats. And major props for not wanting to do some ugly body mods, like ive seen done. Q: what coilover setup do you think youll go with?

I'm even reluctant to do minor body mods, but the stock front lip is trashed. That got me thinking on a front lip, and then I couldn't help but notice how nice the rear extensions look. The stock spoiler isn't too bad, but a whale tail sure would look snazzy. That should be more than enough, no body kits for this supra.

As far as coilovers go, I haven't spent time looking into the options yet. I am far from that base, but until, I have plenty of engine work to look forward to. When the car is running and driving, I plan to fix the remaining little things before getting to the fun stuff. Among fun stuff, coilovers are high up on the list.

Atlas

You call this a sandwich?
Aug 22, 2012
Clovis CA
You've got a really nice car to start your build! Love that 22RTE in your 87. I wanted to swap one of those into my 82 celica a while back.

Good luck!

Atlas;2014697 said:
You've got a really nice car to start your build! Love that 22RTE in your 87. I wanted to swap one of those into my 82 celica a while back.

Good luck!

The 22R-TE is a good little motor, it would be cool swapped into a Celica... Was yours a hatchback? I've always thought an old sunchaser with a 22R-TE would be a fun car!

Thanks!

rdaigle44;2014699 said:
Nice, good luck!

Thank you

Last edited:
Found this sucker in the glovebox. First car I've ever had with a factory window sticker.
by cobblewagen, on Flickr

Targa top tool and caps are all present
IMG_8385 by cobblewagen, on Flickr

Gave my garage a thorough cleaning, then put the hardtop back on my turbo truck. It hasn't had a top on it since January. Currently rocking my 31"s to keep the miles off the mud tires.
Yeah you wish you had a sweet microfiber windshield wiper, too, admit it.
IMG_8395 by cobblewagen, on Flickr

Finally got it registered to my name, let the work (slowly) take place! Learning about the MKIII and 7M as I go. Fortunately Toyotas are very well built and relatively similar.

Garage will have some new scenery for a while.
IMG_8336 by cobblewagen, on Flickr

Featuring harbor freight moving blankets

Before picture.

Airbox/intake to turbo.

Unfortunately, the CT-26 has some shaft play and a chewed up compressor wheel... Don't know what I'll be putting in it's place.

Looks like someone used some garden hose between the intake pipe and valve covers... some fishy things going on.

Rad out.

Side note: Glad the Supra does not require firewall drilling to 5-speed swap!! My trucks did not have such convenience.

Last edited:
slowmedown;2015623 said:
yeah had a BHG?

Yes, oh, you may have seen my For Sale/Trade ad on Supraforums, I tried to trade for a busted MKIII a couple years ago. One guy came by with an 89, but it was far too much a total pile.

A huge part of me didn't want to sell the truck, so I priced it high. It worked out after all, I ended up acquiring an low mileage/garaged 02 Mustang GT (POS, spun rod bearing), sold it, and put the money towards the truck.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/all-other-vehicles/135668-pile-mustang.html <-- the story of the Mustang

Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
why do people feel the need to vandalize stuff? anyways great sell on the mustang. cant believe someone paid that much for a rod knock-auto-mustang :aigo:

slowmedown;2015694 said:
why do people feel the need to vandalize stuff? anyways great sell on the mustang. cant believe someone paid that much for a rod knock-auto-mustang :aigo:
Thanks, I guess you just have to be into that sort of thing if you want to pay that much. That car was horrid, I'm glad it's gone.

I was upset at first, but the vandalism thing paid off in the end!

Progress is moving, slowly.

Engine stand, harbor freight 1 ton.

Working at night like usual.

A/C unbolted, alternator out, power steering disconnected, etc...

Popped the spark plug wires out to find the entire galley was flooded with oil, all 6 plugs submerged

Current:

Made some 5-speed swap progress...

Used R154 with matching driveshaft
R154 Rebuild kit from driftmotion
Full length clutch hose softline
Marlin crawler polyurethane shifter socket bushing (gotta order the shifter ball bushing)
New pressure plate bolts
1st gear thrust washer, OEM
Shifter retainer gasket
Redline MT-90, 3qts.
New pilot bearing
ARP flywheel bolts for 7M

R154
r154 by cobblewagen, on Flickr

R154 rebuild kit from Driftmotion

Full length softline for clutch master

Shifter retainer gasket

Ball socket (3rd Marlin crawler ball socket bushing I've had, both my other M/T's have them)

ARP flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts

Redline MT-90. I have redline in one of my LSD diffs (99 4Runner), great quality stuff.

Til next time...

4Runner near Santiago Peak, Main Divide Rd. Southern California.

87 Turbo, San Clemente, from the top of a 5 story building

Last edited: