Ive just about had enough.

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
That car is absolutely beautiful, I'm sure if you had sold it you'd regret it the moment you watched It drive off. I bought my supra in July 06, due to many wireing/electrical problems (good ol 7m runs great when the brains let it :) ) to his day I've probably drove....10k miles? But I just can't kick the habit, and crazily enough don't want to.
7m vs 1j I really cant say either way. I love my 7m, havnt had any problems cause by the engine itself.....that said if she blows I'll go 2j....cause I'm a whore :) and because there isn't a machine shop around here that I trust enough to mess with a 7m

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
ha i went through hell and back with building my 7m.............wrong harness, wrong cpu,cracked coilpacks,spliced cps replacing the injector orings once everything was installed having to change the intake manifold gasket because the gas soaked the gasket and made it useless did my fuel pump with no experience,had to change the turbo manifold gasket......stripped turbo manifold bolt :: angry ::had to helicoil then:: angry :: blowing a clutch once replacing a rack and pinion,valve cover gasket twice tons of rotted hoses,.......huh once it was all said and done its arp'd out connecting rod bolts are arp head studs new piston rings 2mm mhg and a new oil pressure sender!
she's running like a champ!! i would never turn back if you build a 7m correctly it will treat you right!

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
well this motor has arp head studs and a 2mm mhg.... what can i do beside just replacing the bearings to prevent rod knock in the future?

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
blah. anyone wanna tell me what this thing is worth? i have no time anymore. i would have to take off work to have time to work on rebuilding this and i really cant afford that.

as it sits... with the rod knock.... otherwise very clean and good running car... whats it worth?

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Well, as one of the guys getting ready to do that 1uz swap with WhiteZombie, I will say it can get complicated. I just got my 7m rebuild going on Saturday with the help of a good friend on the forums here and I have to say I am very please, minus some TPS issues and some leaks here and there. lol

I will say that after doing both (successfully) a 2jzna-t in an 89 and the 87 7mgte into the 87 n/a chassis, go 2jz. I love the 7m AND the 2jz, but it was so much fun doing the 2jz because of the 'bling' factor. PM me if you want any details since I have it all stored in my head. lol I don't want to thread jack. You're not too far from us either, so if you get it fixed or if it's still running by May, you should join the May 2010 meet down here in Va!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Car with a popped engine isn't worth much. The other bits won't bring up the price when it's got a lame leg.

Generally, you'd make more money parting it out... but in your case, seems like a lot of the coin is into the body itself, so even that is going to be a significant loss.

I'd be surprised if you can get $1000 for it as it sits.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
GrimJack;1498812 said:
Car with a popped engine isn't worth much. The other bits won't bring up the price when it's got a lame leg.

Generally, you'd make more money parting it out... but in your case, seems like a lot of the coin is into the body itself, so even that is going to be a significant loss.

I'd be surprised if you can get $1000 for it as it sits.

Especially as he I'd local to Philly....keep the car bro as you'll never sell for what it's worth:-(

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
gaboonviper85;1498832 said:
Especially as he I'd local to Philly....

huh?

wow $1000. now i gotta rethink selling it LOL. its hardly worth it. i might as well keep it and go off roading or something until it blows up!

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
Nghty89;1498758 said:
Well, as one of the guys getting ready to do that 1uz swap with WhiteZombie, I will say it can get complicated. I just got my 7m rebuild going on Saturday with the help of a good friend on the forums here and I have to say I am very please, minus some TPS issues and some leaks here and there. lol

I will say that after doing both (successfully) a 2jzna-t in an 89 and the 87 7mgte into the 87 n/a chassis, go 2jz. I love the 7m AND the 2jz, but it was so much fun doing the 2jz because of the 'bling' factor. PM me if you want any details since I have it all stored in my head. lol I don't want to thread jack. You're not too far from us either, so if you get it fixed or if it's still running by May, you should join the May 2010 meet down here in Va!

from experience... how much harder was it to install the 2jz? have you ever done a 1jz?

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
supraGhost;1498856 said:
from experience... how much harder was it to install the 2jz? have you ever done a 1jz?

I have not done a 1jz, but all engine swaps are only as hard as you make it. The difference is that the 7m bolted right on in. The 2jz required the BIC mounts, and a 1jz bell housing to mount to the R154, but beyond that it fit great. There is about 1-2 more inches of room between the head and the firewall, and more room in the from too (surprisingly). I liked it because it was different from the 7m and I had a bad first experience with mine. It runs directly off of the 7m electronics too, since it's a 3.0 I6 just like the 7m.

Go either route, but make sure you want it first. There are pros and cons to everything, although I know of no cons for the 2jz swap, and she runs great. :naughty: No longer my car though :cry: I should have never traded her. Oh well, I love my 87 gte too! :love:

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
Nghty89;1498865 said:
I have not done a 1jz, but all engine swaps are only as hard as you make it. The difference is that the 7m bolted right on in. The 2jz required the BIC mounts, and a 1jz bell housing to mount to the R154, but beyond that it fit great. There is about 1-2 more inches of room between the head and the firewall, and more room in the from too (surprisingly). I liked it because it was different from the 7m and I have a bad first experience with mine. It runs directly off of the 7m electronics too, since it's a 3.0 I6 just like the 7m.

Go either route, but make sure you want it first. There are pros and cons to everything, although I know of no cons for the 2jz swap, and she runs great. :naughty: No longer my car though :cry: I should have never traded her. Oh well, I love my 87 gte too! :love:

hmmm. but i will need all the intercooling piping and stuff like that because the 7m's wont bolt up.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
supraGhost;1498845 said:
huh?

wow $1000. now i gotta rethink selling it LOL. its hardly worth it. i might as well keep it and go off roading or something until it blows up!

Sorry iPhone fail....youre close to Philly ruffly and supras just don't bring much bank especially if they are rodknocked....

If you're thinking of swaping another motor because you want to save time then I hate to burst your bubble but your down time would be much more! If you need a crank and rods then let me know as I have extras laying around....rebuilding a budget motor would be cheaper and faster than an engine swap!

Pulling an engine takes just a few hours....installing an engine and have it running takes about a day with extra time to make sure everything is adjusted properly...

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
just stick with it....2jzge-t or 1jz...

these fucking cars are always going to be projects lol...

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
empera;1498877 said:
just stick with it....2jzge-t or 1jz...

these fucking cars are always going to be projects lol...

very true.

why do you say ge-t and not gte? i guess the stock twins dont fit well?

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
gaboonviper85;1498875 said:
Sorry iPhone fail....youre close to Philly ruffly and supras just don't bring much bank especially if they are rodknocked....

If you're thinking of swaping another motor because you want to save time then I hate to burst your bubble but your down time would be much more! If you need a crank and rods then let me know as I have extras laying around....rebuilding a budget motor would be cheaper and faster than an engine swap!

Pulling an engine takes just a few hours....installing an engine and have it running takes about a day with extra time to make sure everything is adjusted properly...

im thinking about paying someone to swap a motor. i know someone that works for very cheap and he specializes in the 2jz

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
supraGhost;1498885 said:
im thinking about paying someone to swap a motor. i know someone that works for very cheap and he specializes in the 2jz

Anyone who specializes in anything doesn't work cheap....atleast not in the world I live in:-(....think about that.

Whatever you decide....try to keep the car as it's not worth selling as you won't get what it's worth.....and I'm tired of seeing it on craigslist as I damn near called you the first time it was up for grabs lol.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
yea 2jzgte with twins dont fit too well...but if u have the money go 2jzgte single...

2jzge-t just seems reasonable for the price and the amount of power possible.

hmmm who do u know does 2jz swaps? i might need my sc done in the future lol

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
supraGhost;1498881 said:
very true.

why do you say ge-t and not gte? i guess the stock twins dont fit well?

Non of the twin turbo engines fit well...need to pound the firewall in generally...but a 2jzge is cheap as hell and you can use regular 7m ic piping for the most part....intake mani pretty much routes the same...all that you save could go towards upgrades or other parts.