It's 19XX - Where were you when your Supra was made?

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Now that's a pretty good spread. Some that haven't been born yet, some that were of various school ages, and some that were in college or starting life. It's pretty cool how this particular model car gets the attention of so many age groups.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
1991 I was a juinor in highschool (17). Had my own efficiency apartment. Working at a pizza joint, taking the city bus to and from work & school. My older cousin had an '87 n/a MKIII at the time. I thought that was the shit and wanted one myself. Four years later (1995) I bought my 1991 turbo hardtop. Still have it.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
1989... I was 7 so.... up in a tree fort, on a bike, playing nintendo, building a lego city, or watching cartoons (Transformers, GI joe, TMNT).

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
GrimJack;1455193 said:
Hmm.... in '89 I was still married to my first wife. Hell, I was still happily married! That didn't last long. Reasonably certain I was driving a big Ford Econoline at the time. Gasoline was sub 30 cents / liter.

Never got into the Amiga / Commodore boxes... had an IBM clone with a color screen and a high density 5.25" floppy. As I recall it had a 10M double bay height MFM hard drive either then or shortly thereafter.

Of course, all that is long since gone... the Econoline ended up in Calgary, where someone rolled it going around a curve too fast on ice. The first marriage ended in divorce, and I've talked to her maybe a dozen times since then. Gasoline is four times as expensive now, the computer was upgraded in stages and the old parts eventually tossed out. I had to get a bank loan for that computer, it was over $2k at the time... today I can get more processing power in my cell phone, and the cell company gives it to me for free.

LOL, Grim, I remember MFM HD and the major pain in the ass they were to get going and fight with IRQ's and all the rest of the issues! I worked at Hindson Computing here in calgary. 5 1/4" floppies, OMG those were huge! In size. I also have a few of the bigger ones still, 8"? I also had a full height HD, cept I believe mine was only 5 megs!!!! I still have it along with a few other old full height HD's just kept for interest.

You don't see a whole lot of those old econolines around anymore, a few, but not tons. I also notice that the mustangs and camaro's of the 80's that used to be so numerous you couldn't spit without hitting one a very few and far between nowadays.

Take care, your post took me back for sure.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
hmmmm, April of 88. I was 3, my sister had been around for 9 months. Does a 3 year old wear diapers? Playing with hot wheels, lego and watching ghost busters.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
1990, I was 4, liked country music and was about to start pimpin' in kindergarten.

19 years later, I hate county music and can't pimp worth shit, lol. I didn't really know about the MK3 supra until I was in high school, didn't become interested in them until I found SupraMania freshman year of college(2005). :)

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
In 1991 I was working part time for Enterprise Rent a Car and going to a tech school at night. My soon to be ex wife and I were just dating then. I was 22 years old. In the fall of 91 we test drove a 92 MKIII just for shits and giggles, same color as I've got now. I drove a gay blue 1983 Celica GT and then went to a 1984 Old Cutlass Supreme that same year. I sold the Celica to a friend of mine who drove it for years. It quit way over 200k miles.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Gawd, I remember being so happy I didn't have to deal with double-siding 5.25" floppies when I got my 3.5" drive for the C-128. And a 5MB hard drive was "too extravagant" for me then, I had to wait a few years before I got my 20MB HD for the Amiga 500 (which once I got that, came with 3.5" standard), which came in a metal case shaped like the keyboard, SCSI controller, and 2MB onboard additional memory for around $595.00.

Then when my parents got that HP 386DX 66MHz with a 40MB HD and Standard VGA graphics adapter, I would swap in a new VGA card every year or so to bump that up to SVGA, then onto higher resolutions, followed by more memory, more HD space, etc... When we went from 40MB to 80MB, dad actually told me "we'll NEVER be able to use up all that space!!!"

Wow. :nono:

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
January, 1985

Reagan was sworn into his 2nd term. 49ers best the Dolphins in the Superbowl. "We Are the World" is recorded.

I was 4 years old, and don't remember shit.

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
With any good car the love of the car will span generations.

All the talk about computers brings back memories. Somewhere in the back of my closet is a working Mac Classic with 4 megs of RAM, a 40MB SCSI drive and networking card. I don't consider the Atari 2600 a computer but a gaming system. My first computer was a Timex-Sinclair that I had to program in machine language and record the program onto a cassette tape.