Is this hump necessary?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Anyone with a complete suspension please tell me, is this hump necessary?
I can't tell since my subframe, diff, and driveshaft are out of the car.
It doesn't look like it's necessary from what I can see, but I just want to clarify before I cut it out.

looks like this on the inside with the rear strut brace cut out:
dsc036454nq.jpg

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Don't worry about my removing things. I will re-brace every area 10x stronger than it ever was.

the hump dead center in the pic. between the rusty areas.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I just want to cut it out, and smooth it over with a piece of sheet metal instead of having a huge lump there.
The car will be carpeted, but that's about it. I just want the carpet to flow nicely through there.

It'll be braced nicely through there, though. I wouldn't be removing a structural area unless I was planning to reinforce it heavily.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Call me crazy, Why not just build up the area around it to make it smooth? Seems easier to me if you just want it to look smooth to add material rather than cut away?

ross1

Jul 14, 2005
va
^ thats what i'd say also, make a box or two there to level it out and add some storage... or whatever, i can't remember who did it but it came out nice with room to store emercency tools and the like...

ross

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
ummm yes that hupe does alot cutting it out will just make you car run like a worm aka even worse then it is stock

you need struts bar to fix it ish and still eb linke a worm thou but yae bena there done that didn't like it whent back to stock

but fi you run a cage then there is no need for ti

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
wow. alright, i'll just figure it out myself.
just figured I'd ask to see if that hump was there to clear anything underneath..

buckshotglass

I love all your sounds.
I just found this thread. That pic is not current.:cry:

I'll go look around later, but my rear subframe is out like yours, so I may be clueless like you. Think about tool clearance once everything is back together... and, that might be where the driveshaft rotor and caliper go, not sure yet.
later.

buckshotglass

I love all your sounds.
NashMan said:
ummm yes that hupe does alot cutting it out will just make you car run like a worm aka even worse then it is stock

you need struts bar to fix it ish and still eb linke a worm thou but yae bena there done that didn't like it whent back to stock

but fi you run a cage then there is no need for ti

I gotta agree with the Nashman. You will be Wormcar if you cut it out. I think you need the room for the subframe anyway. Slow66 would cut it out, I believe, but iirc, you are keeping the stock LSD?

Put the saw down.;)

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
bigaaron said:
You know what you could do? Look under the car and see if there is enough clearance there to do what you want to do. :momaru: And you could even use a measuring tape!!! :aigo:

I think I could do that... IF I HAD EVERYTHING MOUNTED UNDER THERE.
Don't you think I thought of that?