Is there any REAL advantage to a dual split downpipe?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Poodles;1505709 said:
In this case it's the exact opposite. The DDP's don't have the actual divider flange now making them pointless.

Oh, and they fit for shit too.

This was what i was getting at. Unless you were saying that its just a 3in pipe with a 1 in pipe welded onto the turbo flange with nothing there at all? I would never buy one of those ebay ddps so i wouldn't know.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
gotcha poodles.

lol it was proven with gains on a dyno and you can get it recirc which would be no louder than a reg dp.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
tissimo;1506000 said:
ddp is pointless and for a ricer who wants the open wastegate sound.

Proven gains = not pointless

I think mine is annoying now after having it so long though, but mine was CHEAP.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Poodles;1506017 said:

I think mine is annoying now after having it so long though, but mine was CHEAP.

Show me proven gains? I remember and old dyno of like a stock car, of course itll make more power then. Maxed out it would be no different then a regular DP, as the turbo is the limiting factor. The bit of turbulence from the turbine and wastegate mixing will not effect the power output any significant amount.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
hvyman;1506011 said:
gotcha poodles.

lol it was proven with gains on a dyno and you can get it recirc which would be no louder than a reg dp.

Poodles;1506017 said:

Maybe if the downstream piping is restrictive....

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
My BIC DDP isn't recirculated and it really isn't loud... There are cavaliers and civics in my area with fart cannons much louder than my DDP!!

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
tissimo;1506032 said:
Show me proven gains? I remember and old dyno of like a stock car, of course itll make more power then. Maxed out it would be no different then a regular DP, as the turbo is the limiting factor. The bit of turbulence from the turbine and wastegate mixing will not effect the power output any significant amount.

No one was arguing anything beyond a stock setup...

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
i am considering buying this ddp for my ge-t. all that needs to be done is welding in that divider? how is the fitment?

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
mecevans;1506420 said:
i am considering buying this ddp for my ge-t. all that needs to be done is welding in that divider? how is the fitment?

You also need to consider that you have to measure out how long and wide that little divider is, as well as weld it to whatever crappy steel they used to build it, THEN hope you got one that fits well and won't crack after it heats up and cools down a few dozen times!! Save your $$$ and buy a BIC DDP!

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
yes, BIC folks, nothing else...

my turbo spools up so quick and the car feels so powerful now, it's not even funny...

When I give my local Supra friends a ride in my car they're always wondering if I'm running much higher PSI or a larger turbo, and just tell them to look at the boost gauge, I give her a good run and they're amazed when it only hits 6 psi on a stock Ct26...

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
SupraOfDoom;1506141 said:
No one was arguing anything beyond a stock setup...
If you live at 10-12 psi then go for it, if you plan on pushing the stock turbo, then waste the extra money on something that will make a difference.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
Wow, there is alot of miss information in this thread from people that dont know what they are talking about.

Yes, the divorced Downpipe flows more and makes more power. Like Grimjack said, when we first designed and built the DDP we dynoed it back to back after the BIC standard 3" DP and saw 29+ HP gains. I will have to find the dyno sheets, and post it up. I will see if I can find the original thread and link it.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
becauseican;1506562 said:
Wow, there is alot of miss information in this thread from people that dont know what they are talking about.

Before any of you get bent out of shape, this is the inventor of the DDP. He did the R&D. He did the tests.

Every single DDP out there is a copy of his hard work.

If you disagree with his statements, back it up with fact. Produce your own testing and disprove it, otherwise you are, for lack of a better term, talking out of your ass.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
becauseican;1506562 said:

Yes, the divorced Downpipe flows more and makes more power. Like Grimjack said, when we first designed and built the DDP we dynoed it back to back after the BIC standard 3" DP and saw 29+ HP gains. I will have to find the dyno sheets, and post it up. I will see if I can find the original thread and link it.

Good info, I'd like to see the dyno sheets! Did you ever test the DDP (wastegate dump to atmosphere) to the recirculated DDP? I have one of your recirculated downpipes and love it, but I'm curious if dumping to atmosphere yields any measurable gains.

gotsomegetsome

Age Quod Agis
Mar 31, 2008
san jose
Any sales goin on for the BIC DDP? haha

The only thing I would mention about the BIC DDP is that the recirc pipe is connected back to the main 3" pipe at only about halfway down the section. I wish it was connected down at the bottom, so that when the wastegate is fully open, those gasses would be joining the gasses from the 3" in a parallel fashion as opposed to what would be at a 45 degree (give or take) angle.

but seriously, Any BIC DDP sales? maybe supramania member discounts?? haha