? Is a Rebuilt or upgrade CT26 Still considered a Stock Turbo ?

supranasty

Yo Daddy
Apr 12, 2005
jamaica ny
I say it's STOCK. It came in a Supra then Rebuilt. What goes inside is my choice or who rebuilds it for that matter. :naughty:

AGREE ?????

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
rebuilt yes, it's stock, considering OEM or OEM spec parts were used..

as for upgraded, no, it's in the title UPGRADED, so THAT is no longer stock..

however, from the outside, it can pass as stock, if you're trying to make your car into a ringer or something..

supranasty

Yo Daddy
Apr 12, 2005
jamaica ny
RazoE;1654341 said:
rebuilt yes, it's stock, considering OEM or OEM spec parts were used..

as for upgraded, no, it's in the title UPGRADED, so THAT is no longer stock..

however, from the outside, it can pass as stock, if you're trying to make your car into a ringer or something..

Good point,However. Its still a STOCK TURBO. Coming from Toyota Stock that is.
Rebuilt to OEM Spec or UPGRADED is Another ANIMAL. I find that there is a common misconception in the term STOCK used in all MOTORSPORTS using this said TERM .
If you Still disagree maybe IM totally WRONG, or somewhat partly right .

Excelent reply and how do we continue.

all input excepted.....

Last edited:

MKIII VIXEN

Supramania Contributor
Feb 11, 2006
resting
"Rebuilt" I would consider stock, but "upgraded" means it has been altered and is no longer stock. My car appears stock as long as you leave the hood closed. So by your standards as long as the outside is still the same my car is still stock because it appears so. Right?

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
I'd have to say that having an upgraded CT26 and then calling it a stock turbo would be like me saying my 7M-GTE w .020 over pistons and forged is stock. because the MA70 comes with a 7M-GTE stock.

For all intensive purposes I just say it's an upgraded stock turbo, because it's huge difference between having that and running a 60-1 or something.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
idk i say 57 trim is still stock though cause its still toyota and just rebuilt...i have 57trim and mhg and arps and i say its stock all the time...

supranasty

Yo Daddy
Apr 12, 2005
jamaica ny
SupraMedical68;1654490 said:
I'd have to say that having an upgraded CT26 and then calling it a stock turbo would be like me saying my 7M-GTE w .020 over pistons and forged is stock. because the MA70 comes with a 7M-GTE stock.

For all intensive purposes I just say it's an upgraded stock turbo, because it's huge difference between having that and running a 60-1 or something.

Darn, why did you use the word STOCK following the term UPGRADED. You see what im saying. .20 is a standard overbore when rebuilding an engine. Bored and stroked is done by PROS who still call it a stock car in another venue.
A Starter rebuilt for higher Torque is still a STOCK STARTER that was rebuilt.
I bet alot of people are missled by the term STOCK.

Where is the line here that all will stick with if you see what im saying...

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
I'd have to agree with the other's that it is not a stock turbo, it is upgraded plain and simple.
I just had to pull an upgraded 57 trim because it was smoking and had lots of shaft play. Had it been rebuilt with oem style/size parts I seriously doubt It would need replacement already.

The point I'm making is when you upgrade a stock turbo and lose it's stock like reliability, how could you really consider it a stock turbo?

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

I have a stock short block for sale, .018 over with ross pistons/eagle rods and arp main bolts

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
supranasty;1654496 said:
Darn, why did you use the word STOCK following the term UPGRADED. You see what im saying. .20 is a standard overbore when rebuilding an engine. Bored and stroked is done by PROS who still call it a stock car in another venue.
A Starter rebuilt for higher Torque is still a STOCK STARTER that was rebuilt.
I bet alot of people are missled by the term STOCK.

Where is the line here that all will stick with if you see what im saying...

lol

My whole thing is my 57trim isn't stock, but it's also not a aftermarket turbo like a Garrett or SP... and it still has that restrictive ass housing on it.

So it's stock in the sense that it came in the car, but it's still upgraded. I just figure "upgraded stock turbo" would be the most accurate way to describe it if I was talking to a non-MKIII owner. As in "it was the POS that came stock in the car 22 years ago, but it's been rebuilt and upgraded since."

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Go to one of the big supra meets and race in their "stock" class with that upgraded turbo and see how fast you're kicked out.

supranasty

Yo Daddy
Apr 12, 2005
jamaica ny
Poodles;1654527 said:
Go to one of the big supra meets and race in their "stock" class with that upgraded turbo and see how fast you're kicked out.

Like Texas ? tx2k09,tx2k10

Class 1 all ct26+upgrades allowed, stock twins for 1jz, Na with nos allowed toyota trans. factory computer.piggybacks ok.
NO2JZ allowed..

They all go in the same class. STOCK

Been there twice.
STOCK is a TRICKY WORD.Where are the RULES

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Don't the turbo A 7m's come with a slightly larger turbo then stock? If that were true could you have a CT26A modified to those specs and still be considered stock? :D

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
supranasty;1654532 said:

Class 1 all ct26+upgrades allowed, stock twins for 1jz, Na with nos allowed toyota trans. factory computer.piggybacks ok.
NO2JZ allowed..

Been there twice.

Stock is stock, stop trying to play the word game. If it didn't come that way off the showroom floor, it's NOT STOCK.

NewGen;1654545 said:
Don't the turbo A 7m's come with a slightly larger turbo then stock? If that were true could you have a CT26A modified to those specs and still be considered stock? :D

Yeah, if it's a Turbo A. No if it's not.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
supranasty;1654532 said:

NO2JZ allowed..

Been there twice.

If that's the case and they allow Upgraded CT26s on the 7M then they should allow it on the 1JZ since half our twins are smoking anyway... Just sayin.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The reason shows split their classes the way they do has nothing to do with whether your car is stock. It's because of two things - enforcement and participation. On the enforcement front, can you imagine the time and manpower it would take to pull the intake pipe and inspect the wheel on every car in the class? Can you imagine the indignation from the owners and the headaches this would cause? On the participation front, nobody wants to go to a show with 100+ cars only to find they have to compete in a class with 98 other cars. Furthermore, nobody wants to win a trophy because they are the only member of the class - if you don't have to fight for the win, it's not worth anything. So classes are designed to separate the field into broad ranges based on getting a good chunk of the participants, not whether they match a specific hard to meet set of requirements. Basically, if you put in a 'stock' class and help people to it, you'd get one or two cars - and chances are they'd both be rusted out pieces of junk.

As for individual parts being stock... if you can buy it from Toyota, it's stock. Toyota doesn't sell a 57 trim wheel. And no, you're not allowed to buy a part from a different model and claim that's stock, either.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
GrimJack;1654782 said:
The reason shows split their classes the way they do has nothing to do with whether your car is stock. It's because of two things - enforcement and participation. On the enforcement front, can you imagine the time and manpower it would take to pull the intake pipe and inspect the wheel on every car in the class? Can you imagine the indignation from the owners and the headaches this would cause? On the participation front, nobody wants to go to a show with 100+ cars only to find they have to compete in a class with 98 other cars. Furthermore, nobody wants to win a trophy because they are the only member of the class - if you don't have to fight for the win, it's not worth anything. So classes are designed to separate the field into broad ranges based on getting a good chunk of the participants, not whether they match a specific hard to meet set of requirements. Basically, if you put in a 'stock' class and help people to it, you'd get one or two cars - and chances are they'd both be rusted out pieces of junk.

As for individual parts being stock... if you can buy it from Toyota, it's stock. Toyota doesn't sell a 57 trim wheel. And no, you're not allowed to buy a part from a different model and claim that's stock, either.

I was just making a joke :) I hope it wasn't taken to seriously.

supranasty

Yo Daddy
Apr 12, 2005
jamaica ny
If I had a MK4 or Corvette and a guy with a Ct26 Mk3 without NOS wanted to race and beat me. I would feel real bad loseing to that guy with a STOCK turbo still on his car. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you all though.
Factory Specs. wins by .02