? Is a Rebuilt or upgrade CT26 Still considered a Stock Turbo ?

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
If this is a continuation from the other thread, stock is stock. Un altered non upgraded. As for having a upgraded CT26 your car does great, but far from "stock". Now if you want to swap on a stock CT and run for the fastest stock 7MGTE with a non upgraded CT without nitrous that would interesting.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
From what I've read, it sounds like OP is upset that people are using the word "Stock" as a direct replacement for the term "OEM" .. no?

I got that from when I read, "some people would call an upgraded turbo stock, because it's built from mostly Toyota parts"

OE = Original Equipment (Stock)
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer (Toyota Parts)

So, you could call a 57 trim an upgraded OEM turbo.. but it is certainly not OE (Stock), am I right?

supranasty

Yo Daddy
Apr 12, 2005
jamaica ny
lowtaco;1654977 said:
If this is a continuation from the other thread, stock is stock. Un altered non upgraded. As for having a upgraded CT26 your car does great, but far from "stock". Now if you want to swap on a stock CT and run for the fastest stock 7MGTE with a non upgraded CT without nitrous that would interesting.

You are now tempting me. Thats a good thing. Its like you were reading my mind...
I do understand everyone's input thats what my goal was from beginning. Dialog . I thought it was a interesting word that peolpe use even when they are misleading the one they tell.
TO BE CLEAR, I have ALWAYS said I have a UPGRADED STOCK TURBO..

I GOT GAS , WHEN DOES THE TRACK OPEN...........:icon_bigg

Last edited:

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
My non upgraded ct-26 has gone 12.61 in the 1/4 mile without nitrous. I am not even the fastest and I was not even trying to set any kind of record. Car was still 100% full weight targa car with nothing removed. So if your after the record for a OEM stock ct-26, good luck to you.

supranasty

Yo Daddy
Apr 12, 2005
jamaica ny
Devin LeBlanc;1655182 said:
I am after the record... :) Supra nasty has a 60-1 CT26
Thats awesome SUPRARICH .
Devin Leblanc my turbo is a 60trim fyi.

In Terms of STOCK the diffrence is YEt only if you break down the internals but yet its still a STOCK turbo.
To the 3rd power..

I need a RACE.LOL

Thanks Guy's Happy New Year

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Im done with this argument.. Stock size compressor wheel and flow = Stock turbo..... Modified internals, bigger compressor wheel, rated to 450-500HP weather its a CT 26 housing or not its not STOCK because it does not make STOCK POWER!

Im out!

supranasty

Yo Daddy
Apr 12, 2005
jamaica ny
SupraMedical68;1654501 said:
lol

My whole thing is my 57trim isn't stock, but it's also not a aftermarket turbo like a Garrett or SP... and it still has that restrictive ass housing on it.

So it's stock in the sense that it came in the car, but it's still upgraded. I just figure "upgraded stock turbo" would be the most accurate way to describe it if I was talking to a non-MKIII owner. As in "it was the POS that came stock in the car 22 years ago, but it's been rebuilt and upgraded since."

Thank You. BTW

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I believe the targa newfoundland rules state that turbine casings and exhaust casings shall be OEM, in Level 2 preparation. Then they go on to say that the internals are free. By this definition, any CT26 hybrid of any combination meets the specifications of "OEM". So if you're asking if it meets the rules of a particular event, posting the rules would help.

I think it's easier to call a horse a horse, and a 57 trim CT26 is not "stock", it's a 57 trim CT26. If you're asking if you can say to others it's "stock", when you whip them good, then sure, because I do ;D .... in all seriousness, it's easier than explaining the principles of rebuilding a turbo. Obviously, a simply rebuilt CT26 would qualify as OEM under any rules structure. Just like a rebuilt starter, alt, or engine block, it's the same as it would be from the dealership. Adding different compressor or turbine wheels to the OEM housings now puts you in the grey area where interpretation is paramount.