:::INDY 2009 MEET::: (Indy2K9)

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
mkiiSupraMan18;1316885 said:
^ get a different clutch and that problem wouldn't happen. If the trans holds, something else is gonna break. That's a shit ton of power snapped onto the drivetrain über quick... You can't honestly expect it to last forever. Something has to give somewhere, I'd let it be the clutch.

Oh... And lol. :)

so much for that perfect r154...oh well, nmp

StiCk3

Apr 25, 2009
->IN<-
Found SuicideSupraA70's old tranny over the weekend. This is the end result:
p1317210_1.jpg

Sucks you didn't make it, good to see it's up and running for now ;)

Big thanks out to Jeff for making this all happen. Only complaint i have is the excessive wind burn on my face right now. As designated "watchtower" I'll make sure to warn everyone of next year's weather forecast. See you in Chicago, hopefully will be spiced up a little more. Pics up later.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
dbsupra90;1316089 said:
nice pics!

who's car is this?

100_0838.JPG

Guy named Lu from Ohio IIRC. He put down mid 330s IIRC, CT upgrade. Car has very low miles (again, IIRC, 82k?). Extremely clean.

Who had the SUPER CLEAN black 89+ with TTs? Must have left before I got there.

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
Boost Lee;1316588 said:
You sir, have my vote for the best sounding V8 Supra I'VE ever heard. :drool:
Absolutely beautiful car, and I can't wait to see what you do with it next.
I better see that monster at the Chi2k9 meet this August! ;)
And thanks for coming down! :)

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. We'll see everyone at Chi2k9. Don't plan to have much more done to it this year except minor stuff. Major stuff happens during the winter while the car is down for the salt season here in Michigan.

However, with that said, Lisa has requested her own UZ-powered Supra so we are now looking for another rust free body with or without engine (it'll just be pulled anyway). She is going automatic so if the roller has the slush box, bonus. Would prefer '87-88 bodies. Would like to have one ready by next year's Indy2k10.

SuicideSuprA70

Suicide By Metal
Nov 4, 2007
Indianapolis
Alright gang, Ive posted some of the pictures of the failiure that happend in a little bit more depth then stretch did.

Basically the low down of what happend. I turned on US 31 about a mile from the kroger parking lot, with fresh 110 octane and new tune provided by Mr. Scott Hennessey and eased in 3rd gear, hit full boost (might i add this was only at 22lbs not 28) and then just MASHED 3rd gear to, obviously pieces.

Got it put back together and running now but this would be the reason i didnt make it to the indy meet :(

PS: 1st picture - close up on mashed gears.

2nd picture - those mashed gears teeth falling out of the gear housing when taken apart lol

3rd picture - another close up on gears.

4th picture - cleaned and good set of gears to go back together.

5th picture - ready to rock.....a day and few hours to late though :(

Attachments

• IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    710.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 19

SuicideSuprA70

Suicide By Metal
Nov 4, 2007
Indianapolis
Boost Lee;1317357 said:
Awesome post, Matt.
Pictures serve no justice...that thing is TOAST. :aigo:

Anyone have a BUILT R154? lol should last a few months LONGER :biglaugh:

I think i wanna bring an EXTRA trans to chicago JUST-IN-CASE :sarcasm:

:: badger ::

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
milisakeracing;1317295 said:
Thanks Jeff. We'll see everyone at Chi2k9. Don't plan to have much more done to it this year except minor stuff. Major stuff happens during the winter while the car is down for the salt season here in Michigan.

However, with that said, Lisa has requested her own UZ-powered Supra so we are now looking for another rust free body with or without engine (it'll just be pulled anyway). She is going automatic so if the roller has the slush box, bonus. Would prefer '87-88 bodies. Would like to have one ready by next year's Indy2k10.

Hey, a guy in my area (OHIO) has an Arizona car with GOOD BODY and engine bay (REALLY clean) WHITE '88 Turbo A/T w/BHG. About 180k on the body, IIRC. A friend mentioned the car in his neighborhood, so I went and took a look. He's wanting $1300 for it. I think it could be had for a LITTLE less, but not much. (He paid that... but no time to build it, and a TR7 project under way.)

There is ONE spot at front driver door-to-front quarter with a "buckle" in body. Looks repaired once, but not perfect. Otherwise, one of the cleaner (NO RUST) cars I've seen lately. Burgundy interior in REALLY good shape, too.

If interested, I MIGHT be able to get some pics... but I'm not in that area without a special trip sometime, maybe later in the week?

What $ range is your target for this body?

NOTE: This vehicle would make a GREAT start for ANY project, IMHO.;)

...if I weren't working out of a TENT already, I'd be up for it!:biglaugh:

-crisp

wesbeech

Beech Performance Motorsports
Feb 26, 2006
Akron Ohio
SuicideSuprA70;1317348 said:
Alright gang, Ive posted some of the pictures of the failiure that happend in a little bit more depth then stretch did.

Basically the low down of what happend. I turned on US 31 about a mile from the kroger parking lot, with fresh 110 octane and new tune provided by Mr. Scott Hennessey and eased in 3rd gear, hit full boost (might i add this was only at 22lbs not 28) and then just MASHED 3rd gear to, obviously pieces.

Got it put back together and running now but this would be the reason i didnt make it to the indy meet :(

PS: 1st picture - close up on mashed gears.

2nd picture - those mashed gears teeth falling out of the gear housing when taken apart lol

3rd picture - another close up on gears.

4th picture - cleaned and good set of gears to go back together.

5th picture - ready to rock.....a day and few hours to late though :(

Is it a w58 cuz there are known to rip all the teeth off 3 and yuo usaly slam 4th thinking your spinning and kill 4th also. Hense why i went r154

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
It's deff a r154... I doubt anyone makes a triple plate clutch for a w58. LOL

Seriously matt, you'll go through trannies like oil changes... Some squaregears may help IF anyone even makes them...

wesbeech

Beech Performance Motorsports
Feb 26, 2006
Akron Ohio
How much power are you making that your tearing r154's up like that? And how hard do you shift or powershit it?

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
we got the stock ct on there.. no smoke!!! yay.. but then once i got all the way back home i parked the car, let it sit running for a min and smoke started to come out agian but not near as much.. so this ct is also on its way out. i need to start saving for a new turbo. uggh

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
His clutch is either full engage or full disengage... There's no slipping it, so you have to rev the engine to prepare to move the car, then it jerks like a mother as you let the clutch pedal up the full 1/8" to disengage... The old rear subframe should be hint enough. One the trans prob is fixed that's going to come back.

All that said, it's a sweet car, but unless he starts buying these in bulk it's gonna be a 700hp lawn ornament waiting for the next trans to get shipped in.

You should be able to get a single disk a: a beefy pressure plate that will give you a little clutch pedal and take the shock out of your drivetrain.

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
dbsupra90;1316089 said:
nice pics!

who's car is this?

100_0838.JPG

Quin;1317250 said:
Guy named Lu from Ohio IIRC. He put down mid 330s IIRC, CT upgrade. Car has very low miles (again, IIRC, 82k?). Extremely clean.

Who had the SUPER CLEAN black 89+ with TTs? Must have left before I got there.

His name is actually Lo, came with me to the meet. He made 337 and it wasn't at full boost, he's still at the break-in stage.

SuicideSuprA70

Suicide By Metal
Nov 4, 2007
Indianapolis
mkiiSupraMan18;1317665 said:
His clutch is either full engage or full disengage... There's no slipping it, so you have to rev the engine to prepare to move the car, then it jerks like a mother as you let the clutch pedal up the full 1/8" to disengage... The old rear subframe should be hint enough. One the trans prob is fixed that's going to come back.

All that said, it's a sweet car, but unless he starts buying these in bulk it's gonna be a 700hp lawn ornament waiting for the next trans to get shipped in.

You should be able to get a single disk a: a beefy pressure plate that will give you a little clutch pedal and take the shock out of your drivetrain.

Yea i know i know, quad disc is BRUTAL...Im still thinking and deciding what i wanna do...I doubt theres anyone out there that would wanna buy a OS-g Quad disc. lol. Thats gonna be the only way i can afford to get built R154 from marlin Crawler ((spelling)) and another clutch ect.

I just cant make up my mind, 3rd transmission has got me thinking though lol. Im not bent outta shape either i saw it coming, but no need to baby and postPWN something thats GOING to happen, so why not just have some fun lol.

It is for sure the clutch though rippin through rear ends and transmissions, i do know that. But to compensate im going to also drive it less.

Thanks Steve for the suggestion i spent a good 30-45 minuites on the phone with Aaron at Drift motion about that option. Just gotta make up my mind and SOON. lol

toytech

Toyota certifed
Feb 10, 2009
Frankton,Indiana
Was not able to stay very long. I had 4 kids at the babysitters. Left around 12:30 but wanted to stay longer. Great turn out though.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 15