Im thinking about using GM SynchroMesh in my tranny...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
GM SynchroMesh is for manual transmissions that specify it...RP Synchomax is a replacement for it. This weight oil is used in trannys that require automatic transmission fluid, multi-viscosity motor oil or straight grade motor oil. Read this thread for why it's not a good idea to use either in a R154:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44485

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
In my old steel case 5 speed I ran in the 240z I used to use a 50/50 mix of gear oil and ATF to help it shift when cold.

I still say straight Syncromax would be a bad choice for a 154 (it's one of the recommended oils for the Tremec TKO the other is Dex-III)

Also beware using anything very slippery ie: some Synthetics as the Trans needs a precise level of friction for the Syncro rings to actually work and will glaze them quickly with the incorrect oil. (Motorcraft do an add pack to restore the tranny if this happens)

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
I was given 2 quarts of the Gm stuff... Before I dumped it in, I wanted to ask...

I used to have royal purple in there, and it helped alot... I was having trouble at times from 2nd to 3rd... After RP, no more trouble... Should I just go with RP again or what would you guys recommend for the high hp/heat this tranny will take?

Jdub, Im gunna read that thread you posted, thanks...

EDIT: SyncroMax is made by royal purple? So not a good idea to put it in there?

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Ok, I just read that thread, awesome info... Right now, my tranny is BONE dry, save for any assembly lube they used... So, I want to make sure that what I put in it is the right choice... After reading that thread, it made perfect sense why my shift got smoother... The RP... When I picked up my tranny after the rebuild, the tech told me my tranny looked great on the inside, just a tad bit of wear on the 2nd gear syncros... Im sure that was what was giving me problems, and the RP just made it "slip" easier... Im gunna look into the RedLine...

Thanks again Jdub...

marc3

canadian blood
Jul 19, 2006
quebec,canada
in my offroad suzuki sidekick, they recommend the syncromesh even though i had always put 75w90 in it. last year when i had the t-cae rebuild with some lower gears, they said if you want it to be guarenteed, you must use this.

i did about half a km , before i dumped it, the gears were screaching and whining. i put the 75w90 that came with the calmini gears , and the screeching went away. truck goes very well without the syncromesh.
it is too lite!!

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
RL 75W-90NS will work in a R154...it does not contain the friction modifier. MT90 is a bit better IMO...it's formulated for a tranny.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Thanks for the advice Jdub, I just received my 4 quarts from Summit... I cant wait to see how well she shifts...

Any thoughts on Mobile 1 synth for the new motor? I know initial break in should be done with convetional motor oil... But I have 9 quarts given to me of Mobile 1 for after break in... Yay? Nay?