i need info on swaps

90supradrvr

Feb 28, 2008
oak harbor, wa
hi there all. i currently own a 1990 supra with the 7M-GE. gonna be doin the swap in the next month or so but have a couple questions first.

which is better 1jz or 2jz(overall is it worth it for the 2jz)?
what mods to the engine bay
necessities needed besides complete motor and tranny
best place to go to get parts

thanks for the help guys

xXSupramanXx

Drifter
Mar 12, 2008
Dayton
welcome to the forum. i would suggest the 1jz route for the simple reason that the 2jz swap would be much more expensive and time consuming. Heres a short list of the items you'll need but i would stongly suggest that you get a front clip:

MAP sensor
Ignitor
Power Steering Resivoir w/ lines
Hydro Fan resivoir w/ lines
Radiator w/ fan shroud and hydro fan
IC + Pipes
DP
89+ Motor mounts
Motor
Tranny
ECU
Wiring Harness

rs4rush

Jan 25, 2007
Kirkland, Wa
xXSupramanXx;959534 said:
welcome to the forum. i would suggest the 1jz route for the simple reason that the 2jz swap would be much more expensive and time consuming. Heres a short list of the items you'll need but i would stongly suggest that you get a front clip:

MAP sensor
Ignitor
Power Steering Resivoir w/ lines
Hydro Fan resivoir w/ lines
Radiator w/ fan shroud and hydro fan
IC + Pipes
DP
89+ Motor mounts
Motor
Tranny
ECU
Wiring Harness

Not to mention there is a lot more involved in the 2jz swap. 7m, 1J, and 2jz all have there ups and downs. Figure out what your power goals are and what you are using the car for and then figure which motor to put in. If it was me I would go with a 1jz they are great motors stock, they have a FFIM instead of the 7m’s. Its all little things that help in the long run. I just think the 1jz out of the box are great motors! Thats just my 02.

90supradrvr

Feb 28, 2008
oak harbor, wa
thanks guys. yea ive looked on here already and have gotten a good info. might be right on doin the 1jz. theres a lot of stuff for the 2jz to do. basically i want a fast fun daily driver. im not getting in to the whole racing seriously. im also wanting to do the work myself instead of paying some one. id rather do it and learn about what im workin on than just have someone put it in and not know anything about it. alot of this technical stuff is new to me the last motor swap i did was on my 93 240sx and it was the same motor so i didnt have to do all the tech stuff. kinda feel like a retard reading everything ppl write..guess i need a motor swap for dummies book. lol. but thanks for the help

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34669

I would suggest reading this thread from start to finish. There is a lot of useless chat in there, but Jay did his own swap, and asked a lot of questions along the way.

It may also be of interest to you that he has already given up on the 1JZ (that he loved BTW) to go 1.5 JZ to get more torque out of his car. In my opinion, his car was about all you would need for a daily driver with the 1JZ and big single turbo.

DegreE

Banned
Jan 11, 2008
Memphis & Miami
ForcedTorque;959942 said:
Check driftmotion for a clip. He is in the vendor section. He can even do the swap for you if you'd like.

Isn't the 1j clip on backorder from Driftmotion? Last time I checked last week.