i m soo annoyed!!, Moving to Plan B

JT_Supra87

Aug 13, 2007
Prescott Az
Its kinda funny it took 7 pages to figure out BHG. Everything is a BHG on our cars lol. Good luck with fixing it dont cheap out or it WILL cost you.

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
Alright guys, i think i made up my mind. Motor looks like shit. I got oil everywhere in the engine bay and i don't know where else oil is coming out from and i really don't want to do a HG and find out that there is more problems with it so i m going plan B and buy my self a JDM engine, I m keeping it 7M. Just want to know how JDM engines are ??? I m pretty sure they are the same.
Anyone done JDM swaps here ??

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Fonz man....you really need to use the search function. Dude, spend a day and just study up here on this site. Slow down and try to think things through.

A JDM engine is not neccesarily the answer to all your problems, and in some cases can just be the beginning. Im not trying to piss on your parade but most of the experts here will tell you that if you want to do it right, you are going to have to go through the JDM engine as well. The JDM engines had the same composite headgaskets and weak torque specs and are just as prone to hg failure as the USDM motor. Many people have purchased and installed a JDM motor only to find it has a BHG or RK right outta the box. Sure, many people have just installed one and had it work fine as well. Im just trying to caution you from thinking that this is the magic bullet that will solve all your issues in one shot.

That being said, if you are going ahead with the JDM plan, try to get the best warranty you can. If you get a "30 day startup" warranty which most places give, you have to be aware that to qualify for a replacment if something is wrong you will have to have the motor in the car and running within that 30 days. Make sure you know when that 30 days starts (from the day it leaves the shippers? or from the day it arrives?). Im sure some of the other members here that have gone that route can give you the names of some importers they had good luck with.

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
well the reason i want to go with a JDM engine is cause, i looked at my engine bay and all around. It's pretty much covered in oil and this current engine seems to fall apart in a matter of time.
I figured, if i spend 300 on HG and bolts and if i get a shop to do it. its going to cost me well over or close a thousand, just on labor on the HG and then i also got oil problems and don't know what else wrong with the engine. All this will cost me well over a Thousand or maybe two. I just thought, might as well get my self a clean JDM engine and make sure it's has a warranty.

This is the step i feel like is the right step. I will take pics tomorrow morning and let you guys see it for yourself why i want to take this step.

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
I will spend about a good ass time on this forum and look around for a nice JDM engine and then ill make my move.

Thanks for the advice Weez. I will look around.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Just stick w/ the motor you got and do the work yourself. I still vote pull it out and replace everything that's old, worn, or broken. A JDM motor is just going to give you the exact same headaches if not more since you have NO CLUE about the motors history. If you wanted a JDM motor, why not just get someones motor on the forum who did a rebuild? They are generally the same price as a JDM motor... and you should know if they work.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Oil all over your current engine?

That's what old engines do, they get oil all over stuff, especially the floor. Some engine degreaser and some elbow grease will take it right off.

Before you spend a moment looking for a JDM, see what you have. If your block and head is within spec, keep it and rebuild it. Honestly, a JDM 7M motor may well have ALOT more problems than your 7M does. It's alot cheaper to rebuild the motor you have if it's in good shape than to buy another motor and end up rebuilding it anyway.

If your head hasn't been machined and your block is completely untouched. Hardness test the head to know if it's been annealed. If it hasn't, you're far better off with that head than a JDM import that's covered in question marks.

A JDM engine may be 5741 miles away from a BHG, then you're right back where you started.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
I'm just buying a second motor that's already had a stock rebuild to put in my car, while I rebuild my current motor slowly over time. And you guys with the stock posts per pages, ha, page 7? I'm only on page 3.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
IJ.;1029147 said:
JDM= 15+ year old abused junk....
Fixed that for you.

If you're going to go for the expense of buying a new engine, consider going the other route - getting your existing motor completely re-manufactured.

This WILL solve all your little oil leaks, and more than likely any cooling problems you are facing as well. Plus, you'll end up with a brand new engine, good for at least another 15+ years if you maintain it.

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
GrimJack;1029177 said:
Fixed that for you.

If you're going to go for the expense of buying a new engine, consider going the other route - getting your existing motor completely re-manufactured.

This WILL solve all your little oil leaks, and more than likely any cooling problems you are facing as well. Plus, you'll end up with a brand new engine, good for at least another 15+ years if you maintain it.

:withstupi:withstupi:withstupi

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
D34DC311;1027735 said:
actual oil or grease?

put a piece of card board under your oil pan and that will tell you if its leaking or not

no it won't. judging from the amount of build up on that motor a pressure wash should be the first order of business.

-=Fonz=-;1027748 said:
i've done that and nothing came out but when i was at work, i saw a little brown shit on the pavement. Ive only seen this one time. Ill take pics of it tomorrow morning and post it...

I m at school all day today:3d_frown:

you have oil leaks, anyone can see that from all the pictures you posted. start checking components rather than speculate as to what "might" be wrong. get your rad cap tested because it could be a $4 part that is causing all this worry about cooling.

SupraOfDoom;1027904 said:
No, but it can leak oil pretty good.

I told you that you are probably better off pulling the engine and replacing a bunch of shit like old hoses, gaskets ect. You may want to rush to enjoy the car but your just going to end up spending more time not enjoying the car in the long run.

not a bad idea right there. do it once and do it right or you will be forever chasing small drips and leaks.

theWeezL;1027950 said:
Over heating is either going to be caused by excessive heat introduction (i.e. What Suprra girl said or bhg from a cylinder to a water jacket) or lack of adaquate heat reduction (i.e. bad radiator, water restriction, lack of airflow).

I dont recall seeing the answer to this in your other threads. How exactly did you rule out BHG? Block test?

Ignore the exhuast leak for now, its not significant in the overheat issue. A slight oil leak will not "cause" overheating, but lack of oil certainly could. Make sure you are at or above recommended levels at all times. The oil leak is something that can also be set aside for now.

Test and/or change your radiator cap. Loss of pressure can lead to a boil over. Besides its cheap and should be done anyway as part of regular maintenance.

The smell of coolant means its being leaked or vaporized somewhere. After you top off the system, and drive the car for a period of time, is there coolant loss from the overflow tank OR low level in the radiator. Just checking the overflow isnt enough if the overflow system isnt working (i.e. bad cap, pressure loss elsewhere) But DONT check the radiator level hot. Fill it cold, go drive, let it heat up and cool off a couple times, then while its cold again check the level in the radiator.

Do you have the waterfall sound behind the dash in the morning when you first start it? If so you have air bubbles in your system and need to burp it. Use search for info on how to do that.

Im personally betting on a slight BHG condition to be the eventual answer

/\ this is basically what i was going to type out but he hit it right on the head for every single topic. someones having a heart-attack you dont treat the skinned knee first. don't make another post until you have done exactly what he said and report back with the findings.

GrimJack;1029177 said:
Fixed that for you.

qft. this way is the sure bet.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
flyguyaaron;1028586 said:
I just orderd the felpro hg set for my 7mge,hadn't herd of this stone before, the felpro was like 250 for the hole set, do you think the stone is better?

For that price i'll go with toyota over felpro.

Stone and toyota are pretty much interchangeable. ;)