I keep going back in time! Finally found a mkiii--meet crimson tide

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Btw talking about rare HKS parts. I have a twin turbo manifold set for the 7M that might be from HKS.

It looks like the HKS kit but the HKS letters in casting are not there. So it might be a HKS kit unless there were other companies that copied their kit which I have never heard about.

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
Thank you, Kristian. I can use the link you posted to see if I can source my unicorn HKS 54-trim sport turbo upgrade for the MA70 (fits on OEM exhaust manifold for those unfamiliar with this turbo).

Ken.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
KevinM;2086324 said:
HKS did make one other MA70 IC too. I have this one in my 92:
View attachment 78711

GL locating the HKS sport turbo! I think the only one I know of remains on Chris Jensen's Supra up here.

Kevin

I have that same HKS intercooler on my car. It was apparently for the Japan market only.

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
KevinM;2086324 said:
HKS did make one other MA70 IC too. I have this one in my 92:
View attachment 78711

GL locating the HKS sport turbo! I think the only one I know of remains on Chris Jensen's Supra up here.

Kevin

There's at least one other one in Arizona. This was the car I tried and failed to buy before I came across Crimson Tide (mentioned in my OP). It's an 87T that has the most impressive lineup of HKS parts I've seen. Still coming up empty, but I'll keep trying. The car drives great as is so I can afford to be patient, though I am impatient by nature :).

Ken.

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
KenHenderson;2086194 said:
Does the 4-inch thick FMIC fit without modification? Here's a pic of mine during inspection. I thought this was the only size available for the MA70 but, based upon your post above, I guess not.

WP_20161113_006.jpg

I do not frequent the Japanese Yahoo auctions, so please let me know if you ever come across the HKS MA70 54-trim sport turbo upgrade (fits on OEM exhaust manifold). Acquiring one would complete my vision of the car from an HKS perspective. TIA,

Ken.

I believe this is what your looking for? May ask him if he still has it for you to buy? I have his number. I believe this is a BB turbo and has zero play in it. Looks damn near new!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Supr...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
suprapilot;2086524 said:
I believe this is what your looking for? May ask him if he still has it for you to buy? I have his number. I believe this is a BB turbo and has zero play in it. Looks damn near new!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Supr...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

suprapilot,

You are unbelievable! That is exactly what I am looking for!! First, my FMIC and now, hopefully, the turbo I have spent every day looking for. Please PM me his number, as the listing has ended. Many thanks in advance whether or not this works out. Come to SIV and you won't have to buy any beer. It will be all on me.

Ken.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Interesting it uses the same style oil return pipe found on the Trust 20G kit. I've been wanting to make a soft line for it.

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
KenHenderson;2086556 said:
suprapilot,

You are unbelievable! That is exactly what I am looking for!! First, my FMIC and now, hopefully, the turbo I have spent every day looking for. Please PM me his number, as the listing has ended. Many thanks in advance whether or not this works out. Come to SIV and you won't have to buy any beer. It will be all on me.

Ken.

Hehe I have eyes and ears everywhere. Your in luck Ken! He has it's and he's in Long Beach. I saw the kit it's MINT and the turbo seems like it's new no joke!

I'm PMing you his info now.

All I want is a ride in the car after it's fully HKS just to feel what I never had the chance to bank in the 90s.

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
suprapilot;2086569 said:
Hehe I have eyes and ears everywhere. Your in luck Ken! He has it's and he's in Long Beach. I saw the kit it's MINT and the turbo seems like it's new no joke!

I'm PMing you his info now.

All I want is a ride in the car after it's fully HKS just to feel what I never had the chance to bank in the 90s.

suprapilot,

LOL, dude, you do have eyes and ears everywhere! A ride is on me, for sure. We're both in SoCali, so that shouldn't be too difficult to arrange. Got your PM. Many thanks for the info. I hope to be able to inspect everything in person this coming week after the seller gets back in town on Tuesday.

My car is already under the knife so, if all goes well, I can pick this kit up and get it installed instead of reinstalling the turbo, et. al that came with the car. Again, if all goes well, I would be able to finish the car in one fell swoop, which was my intention all along. We'll see, and I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Ken.

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
KenHenderson;2086581 said:
suprapilot,

LOL, dude, you do have eyes and ears everywhere! A ride is on me, for sure. We're both in SoCali, so that shouldn't be too difficult to arrange. Got your PM. Many thanks for the info. I hope to be able to inspect everything in person this coming week after the seller gets back in town on Tuesday.

My car is already under the knife so, if all goes well, I can pick this kit up and get it installed instead of reinstalling the turbo, et. al that came with the car. Again, if all goes well, I would be able to finish the car in one fell swoop, which was my intention all along. We'll see, and I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Ken.

Sounds good! Let us know how it!

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Just read the thread... Very clean car and detailed work along with the best performance parts!
Gongrats and keep up the good work on this mint Supra!

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
suprapilot;2086777 said:
Did you get it?? I got a texted on Tuesday that he was waiting for your call? I was traveling so it sounds like you did pick it up?

It was my pleasure!

Can't wait to see Phase II!

Yes, I got it. I actually worked through a friend, REYESSUPRA, who picked it up for me since he was in the area and we both did not want to lose out on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity as it relates to 2017.. I was spooked by ALMOST losing out on the FMIC and the seller was not in town until this past Tuesday. Roger, my buddy, picked up the kit for me yesterday and dropped it off at SP Engineering for me. I beat it down there this morning as soon as SPE opened (in pouring rain). As you told me, and Roger reiterated on the phone while making the deal for me, the kit is mint! According to the seller, the kit has, at most, 10k miles on it (likely less) and its condition shows it.

The seller is a wonderful MKIII enthusiast, VERY knowledgeable from a technical standpoint and, like most of us, wants to see our special cars, or special parts, go to a good home if events require their selling. I can't wait to show him the car in which this kit will be installed. I really have to pinch myself. First the FMIC and, now, the HKS MA70 Sport Turbo Upgrade, complete in all its glory. Hope to finish up Phase II in the next week or three. Got some good progress pics today.

Ken.

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
Very nice! Here are a few tips to make sure the you have a reliable motor. These are essential must do items.

Oil cooler kit thermostat based. Make oil pressure go. Drift Motion sells a very nice kit.

New oil pump molly coated and clearanced tighter. DM sells one as well.

Special larger washers for the ARP bolts or studs that keeps the washer from slowing sinking in the head and losings torque over time which is why HGs fails. I know someone who sells them on FB which fit in the 7m head.

Another nice upgrade would be changing the piston oil squirters with new ones. The old ones lose tension and open much to soon which causes pressure lose. You can changed them without remove the engine by dropping the pan.