I keep going back in time! Finally found a mkiii--meet crimson tide

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
Good Stuff in here. Good info Pilot and also, way to help out a fellow enthusiast with the sports turbo catch.
Congrats Ken. Really want to hear & see a run file on this car once she is back to life again.
I also ask myself, will I ever see her again...LoL. Maybe Vegas next year.

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
Hybrid;2086903 said:
Are you referencing the ARP washer mod Quake came up with over at SF, and that Gordon designed the tools for fitment for?

Actually that is a good mod but it has since been disused further that it's actually the washer size that is important. The Quake mod that does the insert fixes the problem as well but from discussion it seems the larger washer does a even better job to spreading the load.

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
Hybrid;2086982 said:
Oh awesome, do you have a link to the larger washer discussion by any chance?

The reason I ask is I purchased the reamer tool Gordon made from Gordon, so will be doing the insert washer mod, but that plus the larger washer would be double security :)

I don't it was actually posted on face shit and they blocked me due to not using my real name. Then they ask for an ID and all that BS so Ill have to start another account it seems.

Anyhow it was a larger washer from ARP then what comes in the kit. As you can see from the 2j guys they are having HG problems now once the washer sinks in and the torque is lost.

IF you do the head insert and put another washer it won't help. The insert being smaller will still dig in first. According to the 7m guy on face shit the larger washer that maxes out the space is the best bet. Now if ARP made the insert head wider then that can also work and better but I don't think they have one maybe which is why they go with a wider washer?

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
Hybrid;2087588 said:
Thanks Suprapilot,

Can you tell me which FB page it was?

I don't know which post it was also FB locked me out for not using my real name so I need to start another one.

If you start a post on the MK3 Tech group they will come to you. Mentioned larger ARP washers and they will chime in on it.

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
It took longer than I thought it would, but it’s time for Phase II and the finishing up of this build thread. As usual, things didn’t go exactly as planned, including the time it’s taken me to get to this point.

I delivered my car to SP Engineering on December 8, 2016, and the optimistic goal was to finish up the car by the time SPE shut down for the Christmas/New Year’s holiday break. Well, we missed that goal, mostly because the SPE owner, lead tech on my car and I had not worked on a USDM MA71 in at least 26-years. In fact, Crimson Tide was the first ever MKIII turbo worked on by SPE, which was founded in 1996, well into the MKIV Supra craze. As a result, our estimate of time for certain tasks was woefully inaccurate in some instances and overtaken by events in others.

Still, a LOT was accomplished in the time allocated to the car and, as noted in my post above, I brought her home on February 8, 2017, exactly two months after dropping her off. This timeframe is misleading somewhat because of the aforementioned holiday break, but to give you a sense of the work accomplished, here is a synopsis of my written instructions (except for items #17 and #19) when I delivered the car to SPE on December 8, 2016:

CRIMSON TIDE: 1991 Toyota Supra Turbo BPU (intake, downpipe, exhaust, manual boost controller, upgraded CT26 turbo; Tein Street Flex coilovers; AZ Performance BBK)
Work Required:
1. Vehicle inspection;
2. Installation of HKS VPC (used);
3. Installation of NIB 550 cc EPROM into HKS VPC ;
4. Installation of HKS GCC (used);
5. Installation of NIB HKS turbo timer;
6. Installation of new custom jumper harness (VPC to GCC; reroute ECU and ABS ECU);
7. Installation of RC Engineering 550 cc 7M-GTE fuel injectors (used);
8. Installation of NIB MKIV Supra TT fuel pump;
9. Installation of NIB HID head lamps;
10. Resurfacing and installation of OEM flywheel (used);
11. Remove, clean and reinstall OEM transmission;
12. Installation of NIB OEM Clutch Release Bearing;
13. Removal of manual boost controller;
14. Installation of HKS EVC I boost controller (used) with custom bracket;
15. Installation of NIB HKS MA70 FMIC kit;
16. Installation of refinished OEM valve covers (used);
17. Remove OEM CT 26 turbo, OEM manifold and all related lines and install HKS Sport turbo, OEM manifold and all associated lines;
18. Remove Tanabe downpipe and catalytic convertor and cut, rotate and re-weld to properly align downpipe;
19. Installation of NIB HKS LET – TI6 7M-GTE exhaust;
20. Install NGK Iridium IX spark plugs and NGK Premium Spark Plug Wire Set;
21. Ceramic coat and install OEM heat shields (used);
22. Installation of NIB 7M-GTE cylinder head cover/gasket;
23. Installation of C’s Short Shifter and Marlin Crawler socket (used);
24. Oil change Redline fully synthetic, 10w-40;
25. Rebalance front wheels;
26. Installation of NIB OEM R-154 tranny mount;
27. Installation of NIB stainless steel clutch line;
28. Installation of NIB HKS fuel pressure regulator with custom bracket;
29. Installation of NIB HKS Twin-Power DLI;
30. Installation of NIB HKS SSQV blow-off valve;
31. Installation of NIB universal power steering cooler;
32. Custom fabricate and install HKS VPC speed density intake piping with weld-on stud for bracket and return line nipples for K & N air filter;
33. Installation of HKS SSQV blow-off valve weld-on flange;
34. Custom fabrication and installation of carbon fiber glove box panel containing HKS VPC, GCC and EVC I; and,
35. Installation of all associated, NIB hoses, gaskets, bearings, washers, fittings (including swivel; AN lines; AN fittings), couplers, clamps flame guard, etc.

Initially, my goal of creating a period-correct HKS MA70 was quite fleeting. Here I was trying to build a car with aftermarket parts that had long since been discontinued. For the first time in my car-modifying experience, I was forced to seek out used parts on eBay, other auction sites and Supra-centric message boards. For a guy who has bad luck if he has any luck at all, several fortuitous events occurred no one could have predicted.

The first of these was the discovery of a NIB HKS MA70 FMIC by member Suprapilot…. in New Zealand of all places. With the indispensable help of Wellington, NZ resident, and SF board member, Mr Ree RZ, I was able to secure this highly coveted MA70 FMIC, but not before we lost it temporarily, regained it for good and Reith Paterson (Mr Ree RZ) experiencing a 7.8 earthquake the day he was to ship the FMIC to me. As you can imagine, I hugged the FMIC box like a long lost loved one when I finally had it in my possession.

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
Following are some of the inspection pics Mr Ree RZ sent to me to ensure I was getting exactly what I had paid for. Some of these pics may be duplicated elsewhere in this thread, but I cannot dispense with this topic without paying tribute to the good work done by Mr Ree RZ on my behalf:

WP_20161113_001.jpg

WP_20161113_002.jpg

WP_20161113_003.jpg

WP_20161113_004.jpg

WP_20161113_006.jpg

WP_20161113_007.jpg

WP_20161113_008.jpg

WP_20161113_009.jpg

WP_20161113_010.jpg

WP_20161113_011.jpg

WP_20161113_012.jpg

WP_20161113_013.jpg

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
COLLECTION OF PARTS:

I did not want to deliver the car to SPE without having all parts in hand, so I spent a great deal of time looking for discontinued HKS parts (VPC, GCC, turbo timer, etc.), hoping that what I purchased was exactly as the seller represented. I was fortunate, in that everything I purchased was in very good to excellent condition. I was also fortunate to purchase parts in excellent condition from SF members in good standing (502Bill; GCC), (sixpack; C’s short shifter; VPC 550 cc E-PROM), (Nick Stonawski/In2Twins; VPC) and sellers in Japan with quality HKS stuff no longer in production.

I purchased another set of valve covers on Supra Mania, and OEM turbo heat shields on CelicaSupra.com, to replace the ones already on the car. I, then, had the valve covers refinished and the heat shields ceramic coated with the 2100 degree F stuff SPE uses on its various GTR packages:

OEM valve covers removed from car (in storage):

IMAG0939.jpg

Refinished (powder coated) OEM valve covers:

IMAG0889.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

Heat Shield removed from car (in storage):

IMAG0938.jpg

Replacement Heat Shields—Before

7M-GTEHeatShield-1_001.jpg

7M-GTEHeatShield-3_001.jpg

7M-GTEHeatShield-6_001.jpg

Ceramic Coated Heat Shields:

IMG_1705.jpg

Crimson+Tide+-+Phase+II+003.jpg

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
Here are a few different pics of my parts stash as it grew over time before taking the car to SPE:

IMAG0895.jpg

IMAG0897.jpg

IMAG0900.jpg

IMAG0981.jpg

Brand new, approximately 30-year old HKS first-gen turbo timer:

IMG_7168.jpg

HKS SSQV 7M-GTE Blow-off Valve:

IMG_2242.jpg

At this juncture, the work program was proceeding efficiently, if a bit slower than we originally anticipated. We knew early on that finishing the car before the Christmas break was not in the cards. Custom work and the acquisition of a new turbo would see to that.

When I dropped off the car, the plan was to remove the upgraded, OEM turbo and manifold, replace all lines and hoses and re-install. And, that’s exactly what happened the first day back from the Christmas/New Year’s break. Unfortunately for the SPE techs, but VERY fortunate for me, my ace parts finder, Suprapilot, struck again.

Suprapilot forwarded to me a link to an expired eBay sale of, you guessed it, the infamous, and exceedingly rare, Garrett/HKS T-04E Sport Turbo Upgrade. Yee haw!! The sale of the turbo/downpipe/manifold had expired on December 26, 2016 and the seller, just a few miles away in Long Beach, CA, said nobody was paying attention. Well, I was!

Long story short, I was able to purchase the HKS kit direct from the seller (avoiding eBay fees) just in time for the SPE techs to finish up re-installing the original, upgraded, OEM CT 26 and OEM manifold. The looks on the techs’ faces were priceless when they saw me walk into the facility with this one day after re-installing the OEM set-up:

IMAG0953.jpg

IMAG0954.jpg

IMAG0955.jpg

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
To be fair, SPE had GTRs stacked like pallets waiting for various projects to be completed, and all the work allocated to my car was just creating additional stress for the crew. The crew chief, and GTR engine builder, plus the chief GTR tuner, were both on my car, so spending more time on my car than originally anticipated created a bit of angst for all concerned. Soon, though, the idea of creating a real deal HKS MA70 took hold, as did working on a car that was older than all but two members of the back-of-the-shop crew.

Here are a couple pics GTR motors in the engine room that were, momentarily, stress inducers while all the love and affection was being doled out to Crimson Tide:

IMG_2588.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2594.jpg

False Alarm Installation of OEM CT 26 Turbo and Manifold:

IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

IMAG0960.jpg

IMAG0961.jpg

IMAG0962.jpg

Righting the Wrong:

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
WORK AND MORE WORK:

Remember when I said, we underestimated the time it would take to complete some of the tasks outlined in my list above? Well, when I had a brand new MKIII turbo in 1990, I installed a CarTech T04B35 single turbo upgrade, a CarTech Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator, Lucas 525 cc injectors, an HKS exhaust that was, subsequently, replaced by a Trust exhaust, Suspension Techniques springs and bars, C’s short shifter and OZ Racing wheels. That’s it. Being a brand new car, everything was in excellent condition and I could not have imagined having to take off the front bumper, dropping the tranny, and a bunch of other stuff, to carry out my work program.

Take a look at just SOME of the bolts requiring removal when taking off the front bumper. MKII and MKIII Supras have an incredible number of bolts, screws fasteners and other trinkets that must be accessed, and wrestled with, in order to successfully remove the front bumper. The MKIV front bumper is a walk in the park by comparison:

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

OEM FMIC Removal (among other things):

IMG_1599.jpg

IMAG0927.jpg

IMG_1603.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

IMAG0931.jpg

IMAG0933.jpg

New HKS FMIC Starting to Look Like a Real Player:

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

IMAG0991.jpg

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
Some items in the work program happened so quickly, I did not have the opportunity to take, or download, relevant pics from SPE. As a result, pics of the RC Engineering fuel injectors, the NGK wires and plugs, installation of the C’s short shifter, dropping and cleaning the R-154 and some other items are not included. Another reason these pics are missing is that I inadvertently deleted some from my phone, tech-illiterate that I am.

After Wreckless drove my car on the SIV2016 Scenic Drive, he knew exactly what I was referring to when I mentioned to him in a subsequent conversation that my Fidanza flywheel and ACT XTSS clutch did not always play friendly with one another when I was caught in SoCali bumper-to-bumper traffic. The first time I noticed, I had been in such traffic for the better part of two-hours, and the OEM R154 shifter occasionally seem to lose its place when traversing neutral to another gear or coming to a stop. With the ACT clutch and aluminum Fidanza flywheel having different heat expansion properties, it created momentary “confusion” during clutch engagement/disengagement. The solution? An OEM flywheel donated by Wreckless that SPE had resurfaced.

Along with the C’s shifter, NIB R-154 tranny mount and resurfaced OEM flywheel, the shift characteristics of clutch/gearbox improved noticeably, eliminating the problem altogether, and has continued to get better the more work I’ve put into driving the car. The C’s shifter does what it does best and makes shifting in all conditions more pleasurable than it was before.

IMAG0968.jpg

IMAG0969.jpg

IMAG0972.jpg

IMAG0986.jpg

IMAG0987.jpg

From the beginning, I knew I wanted a period-correct, piggy-back engine management system. The question was, would I be able to source the necessary parts to make my dream a reality? As noted earlier, I received lots of assistance and I could not be more pleased with the end result.

After installing various piggy-back items in the glove box of my anthracite metallic MKIV hardtop, I knew I wanted to do the same thing with Crimson Tide, pristine MKIII car that she is.

Engine Management; Boost Control; MAF Eliminator Intake Piping:
Card board template of glove box to be used to cut/carve carbon fiber:

IMG_2296.jpg

First carbon fiber panel and test fitting of HKS VPC, GCC and EVC I:

IMG_2490.jpg

Pic of finished product:

IMG_2658.jpg

MAF Eliminator Intake Piping and Filtration:

IMG_2254.jpg

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
Exhaust:

The car came with a Tanabe downpipe, high-flow catalytic convertor and a Tanabe Touring Medallion exhaust, which I like a lot and had not planned on changing. When, however, I was able to source the HKS sport turbo upgrade kit, to make the car complete, from an HKS perspective, I purchased a NIB HKS exhaust from Drift Motion, the same place I purchased Crimson Tide’s HID head lights.

When fitting the new exhaust, we found that the Tanabe cat and downpipe were not properly aligned, creating an exhaust leak of which I was unaware until installing the new exhaust was attempted. The fix required several on/off scenarios involving, cutting, rotating and rewelding and properly aligning:

IMAG0988_001.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
MY HKS MA70 SUPRA:

Some of these pics you’ve seen elsewhere in this thread (or something similar), but I thought I would conclude this build thread with pics of the HKS parts installed as part of Crimson Tide’s Phase II. Here they are:

HKS Sport Turbo, SSQV Blow-off Valve, 3000 Pipe and FMIC Piping (partial):

IMG_2242.jpg

Crimson+Tide+-+Phase+II+001.jpg

Crimson+Tide+-+Phase+II+013.jpg

HKS 28-71 PSI Fuel Pressure Regulator:

IMG_2405.jpg

Crimson+Tide+-+Phase+II+008.jpg

HKS FMIC:

Crimson+Tide+-+Phase+II+010.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

HKS EVC I with Custom Bracket:

IMG_2493.jpg

Crimson+Tide+-+Phase+II+012.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

HKS Exhaust:

Crimson+Tide+-+Phase+II+014.jpg

Crimson+Tide+-+Phase+II+015.jpg

IMG_2661.jpg

Here’s the deal with the HKS exhaust. It is much quieter than I remember my 1990-era HKS being. In fact, truth be told, it’s too quiet for me, so I’m torn between negatively affecting the HKS-ness of the car and re-installing the Tanabe exhaust. The Tanabe is already quiet, but the HKS exhaust is quieter still. Even though I do not want the car announcing its presence from blocks away, I do want to hear more of that famous Supra straight-six sound I’ve become addicted to. Help!

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
HKS Turbo Timer:

Crimson+Tide+-+Phase+II+017.jpg

HKS Twin-Power DLI (Universal)

Crimson+Tide+-+Phase+II+018.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

HKS VPC, GCC and EVC I:

IMG_2490.jpg

When I brought Crimson Tide home from SPE, she was more than a bit dirty. I didn’t have enough time to do the job as thoroughly as I would like, but I took care of the exterior with as much as the receding light permitted.

IMAG1030.jpg

IMAG1033.jpg

IMAG1034.jpg

If you’re still with me, thanks for plowing through all the details. Thanks again as well, to all the Supra community members that made this all possible, especially, Patrick Nail (previous owner of Crimson Tide), Mr Ree RZ, Suprapilot, Roger Reyes, Jeff Boardman (Wreckless) and SP Engineering.

Ken.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Very, very cool Ken. SP looks like a great place to spend some time. Engines everywhere and performance cars lining the shop. As always your posts are inspiring and informative.

I'm deciding on exhausts on my new mk3 project and am torn between the Tanabe Touring or going custom. Since time is in short supply these days the Tanabe may get the win...

supranaut

Rock'n Death with Spikes
Apr 5, 2005
STL
Beautiful build...not to be a troll but those HIDs glare like crazy, I bought the same set from DM and they are now collecting dust. Hope you don't piss anyone off and get your Sup keyed as a result!