How to Replace a MKIII Driveshaft Carrier Bearing for $50

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
My car needed a driveshaft carrier bearing, the rubber was shot in mine. I asked around and it seemed the only solution was to buy one from Toyota, or go to a one-piece driveshaft, either way... $200+. Someone had posted that they used a carrier bearing from a Ford Ranger (no mention of the year) but they cut the steel shell apart from the original supra one and put the ranger bearing and rubber part into it. I found an easier way...

I want to point out that I did this on my own car, and I don't recommend anyone does it without understanding the risks of modifying a driveshaft system. I take NO responsibility if you do this and damage anything, or injure anyone.

The bearing I bought was Napa part number "BRG HB209-KF". It cost $64 as of Jan 2012, but if you look up "HB209KF" on google you can find them for less online. Rockauto has them for a good price too ($51 right now, but they get some random deals in). There is a dust shield in the box with the bearing, throw it away, it's not needed and won't fit. The supra driveshaft already has one on it.

You can see the size similarity and the bearing ID is identical. Note that the Ford outer shell has no lower steel strap to hold the rubber in, because it's designed to bolt to a crossmember.
photo02488477778.jpg

The mounting holes are the same spacing, and are centered in relation to the bearing just the same.
photo02508485772.jpg

To solve the problem of the Ford bearing not having a lower strap, you need to make one. I made mine out of 1/4" steel. This is probably overkill, but I know that the OEM bolts would break before this does.
photo02518495936.jpg

Here's a final picture installed. It fits perfectly in the original spot. Since the Ford bearing sits closer to the mounting surface than the original, I got rid of the two spacer washers and bolted this right to the body. It puts the driveshaft in an almost perfect straight line, and it doesn't rub anything (or even come close). You may need spacers (washers), every car seems to be a little different.
photo02528467809.jpg

Last edited:

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
No driving impression yet, I still have a few weeks of work on the car before it's ready to drive. I will repost once I drive it, but I don't forecast any problems.

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
can anyone really see any reasony why this might be a bad idea, the center support is there. as you said if you drop it to make it strieght again, i dont know, i think this is awesome..

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
mecevans;1676068 said:
Did you balance the ds?

Not required if the flange and sections are reassembled in the same orientation they were originally (also important because you could put the u-joints out a phase).

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I matchmarked the shaft and everything is lined up, as Poodles said, no need to balance.

I also replaced the rear u-joint. So simple if you use the correct puller. So aggravating if you try to use a normal u-joint C-press tool.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
I have done the same, I was the original poster about this..

I have been busy with work, working 12 hour days I haven't had a chance to do any updates!

Thanks for adding to it and helping the community out!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
You do realise the thick washers go between the Bearing and the Body for alignment and NOT under the bearing... (common mistake I see on almost every Mk3 that's had the Trans out)

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Yeah, I know. The Ford part has the bearing located closer to the mounting tabs than the original supra part, so by leaving out those two spacers you are causing the bearing carrier to move upward by about 1/4", which corrects the difference almost perfectly. I also accounted for the fact that my original bearing carrier is sagged down and worn out. I had another driveshaft here with good rubber in the carrier (but a bad bearing).

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
IJ.;1676202 said:
You do realise the thick washers go between the Bearing and the Body for alignment and NOT under the bearing... (common mistake I see on almost every Mk3 that's had the Trans out)

pics of said washers? I only have two washers on each of the bolts holding the carrier bearing, and they are oriented on the road side of the bearing versus the body side.. Or am I missing something here?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Dylan JZ;1676679 said:
pics of said washers? I only have two washers on each of the bolts holding the carrier bearing, and they are oriented on the road side of the bearing versus the body side.. Or am I missing something here?

There are 2x Thick spacers (about 5mm thick from memory) they're visible on Destrux's pics under the 1/4" plate.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
yeah, I'm pretty sure those are the ones I have. TSRM pictures them under the carrier on the road side, I couldn't see mounting them any other way due to how large the carrier mounting holes are.