How to Replace a MKIII Driveshaft Carrier Bearing for $50

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
My point is the stock angle/height of the CB is somewhat Critical or Toyota wouldn't have fitted the Spacers, never heard of select fit spacers in there and would be surprised if they actually exist, there may be different part numbers for different years.

ae86ma70

Jul 24, 2008
Atlanta
IJ.;1680294 said:
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Wrong... :nono:

IRS "should" be a clue to that...

You're absolutely correct. My mistake. Been working with my live axle car too much lately I guess...

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
What if the different size spacers are for different transmission and engine combinations?

They went through the trouble of different spacers... but mounted the bearing in a big squishy rubber carrier that sags as it ages. The logic of this escapes me.

BTW... I test drove the car yesterday (lol, midnight test drive with no bumpers or hood) and it drives fine and doesn't shake or anything. I also did a somewhat abusive launch and nothing broke.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Tested this setup up to 130mph yesterday. No shakes. Nothing broke.

Also, for those who were discussing the spacers for adjusting the driveshaft angles... look in a 93' SC300 factory service manual. There's a section in there about adjusting the driveshaft using those spacers, and it is very similar to our cars. I stumbled across it while researching some wiring stuff for my soarer ecu.

Last edited:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Toyota uses different sized spacers to adjust for driveline angle. There are 5 different sizes for a reason (technically 6, since not all cars have the washers according to the TSRM).

The 6 sizes for the A70 are 0mm, 4.5mm, 6.5mm, 9mm, 11mm, 13.5mm.

Interestingly, Toyota does not actually specify HOW to select the size you need in the A70 TSRM. They do in the A80 manual though, so this may help as somewhat of a starting point:

angle1.gif

angle2.gif

angle3.gif

angle4.gif

angle5.gif

Jeff

Apr 22, 2009
Steinbach, Manitoba, Canada
I just tried this with my car too, but it didn't work so well for me. The bearing in the ranger carrier was wider than the supra bearing, so when i went to tighten the nut it wouldn't tighten and it just stripped it since it was too wide. Not sure if the brand of part i got is different then others but it is the same I.D. as my supra one, just twice as wide. Not sure if i did something wrong or if the other brand is better but it didnt work out for me. I guess ill put on the driveshaft from my parts car for now...

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
I know it isn't a Supra, but I just did this to my 1991 Cressida and it worked great with the only difference being I had to use spacers to lower the drive shaft 3/4" to get the right angle. I was able to find the bearing on Amazon for $36.00. Thanks for the great tip!

ma70suprawoner

May 5, 2010
Gladstone, Oregon, United States
momoney that is a good find i thought the 88 and under had a different bearing then the 89+ ? could anyone enlighten.... are the mk3 carrier bearings the same throughout the 1986.5 up to 1992 ? and is the ford bearing from a 2wd model or a 4x4 because there different

ma70suprawoner

May 5, 2010
Gladstone, Oregon, United States
so im going to try the oem bearing from driveline.com it looks to be a company that auto mechanics order from as i had to make up a fake company and fill out an order sheet they also did not give me a shipping quote and said that it would be generated by email we will see how lagit this site is ?

Last edited: