How to Replace a MKIII Driveshaft Carrier Bearing for $50

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
IJ.;1676682 said:
There are 2x Thick spacers (about 5mm thick from memory) they're visible on Destrux's pics under the 1/4" plate.

Those washers in the pics are the thin ones that are permanently attached to the bolts. The two thick spacers aren't in any of my pics. I did have them, but they're in my parts bin now.

I might try to get a better final pic, I took that one with my cell phone with the car on the ground. If I remember next time it's on the lift I'll get one with an actual camera.

It's funny that the TSRM doesn't mention the spacers or show them clearly anywhere. If you look closely there's one floating midair above the shaft in the first picture in the section. They're clearly in the parts system diagram though.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yes. That's how they go on the factory part. As this support bearing isn't in the same exact spot, he removed them so it moved the shaft back up to where it's supposed to be.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
so, all mk3s have these regardless of carrier bearing type..

well, I guess all I can do is ask if anyone has a part number, otherwise it's off to bother Jeff Lange again haha.

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
Damn I wished I would have saw this before I spent the big bucks on a 1-piece but now I don't never have to worry about it. I tried other carrier bearing and they didn't work as I got a grinding noise when I would try to drive it. So I just bought a 1 piece. Lighter and less rolling mass now. I like it. Good luck with the test drive as I know a lot of folks on here are waiting for that LOL

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Yeah, I guess they probably gave me the shop discount cause I called the order in from work. Rockauto had/has them for about $40 though.

ae86ma70

Jul 24, 2008
Atlanta
CyFi6;1678679 said:
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=BRGHB209KF_0297872923

$45? I went to Napa yesterday and at the store they were looking at $84!

Sheesh. $84? Really? Have you priced the part at Toyota? Anything less than $100 is a deal in my opinion. I definitely could have/would have used the extra $180 that I paid for mine on something else. I think this is such a great find that it belongs in the some sort of MKIII DIY tech sticky.

Last edited:

ae86ma70

Jul 24, 2008
Atlanta
Dylan JZ;1676735 said:
so, all mk3s have these regardless of carrier bearing type..

well, I guess all I can do is ask if anyone has a part number, otherwise it's off to bother Jeff Lange again haha.

MKIII EPC page

OEM P/N is 37230G

Ta-da. Ask and ye shall receive.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Good work destrux!

I had to laugh when I had the E46 M3 and saw that the OEM carrier bearing was only $3x.xx from BMW. Given the prices for other parts for that car it was rather amusing that it was so cheap compared to the Supra one.

ae86ma70

Jul 24, 2008
Atlanta
Dylan JZ;1678881 said:
Thanks, but theres like 7 different thicknesses available, so.. All the same p/n too.

Well, see, I did not know that. But - I'm not reading about crazy high occurrences of driveline failures due to missing washers, incorrect thickness of washers, etc. Wouldn't you just check that the angle isn't weirdly out of whack? Isn't that u-joint there for a reason?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I agree but don't have an answer.. There might be a lot more to this than the obvious, I've had some interesting driveline issues as of late, and it might be related to those washers in some part.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
IJ.;1680260 said:
If they didn't need to be there Toyota wouldn't have bothered...... :nono:

That's beside the point though. In this case, OP removed them for a reason- to bring the U-joint back to the same angle the stock one was at with the washers. Questions that I have though is why is there 0 degrees of angle (I am assuming they want it at 0 degrees) on the first joint? Looked in the TSRM and there is no mention of these supposed selective washers or anything concerning the propeller shaft angle.