how to obtain a missing title???

USPturbo89

COONASS MAFIA MEMBER
Nov 2, 2008
M-Town Avoyelles parish La.
well i bought an 89 supra turbo 5spd from a junkyard... he told me that he would find me the title for it and i have been waiting for a good 6 months for it..... now im frustrated and really wanting to start modding and repairing her.... does anyone know how i can get a title for the car without knowing the previous owner??? please if someone can help me let me know.... one of my friends told me that if i leave the car at his shop/junkyard he can get a mechanics lean on it and obtain a title for like $300.... but im not sure... please let me know what you guys/girls think.....

Dani87x

OATHKEEPER III%
Oct 11, 2009
Miami FL
They hold records for cars, they may be able to give you a copy of a title. I too bought an 87 n/a supra in Georgia with a missing title. Went to the local pd and received a copy, a bit of a pain in the ass but i got it. Went on and fixed the car up a bit and sold it.

USPturbo89

COONASS MAFIA MEMBER
Nov 2, 2008
did it cost you anything?? did you have a receipt from the person you bought the car from? im sorry for all the questions but i want to know what all i need to go up there and get it....

Dani87x

OATHKEEPER III%
Oct 11, 2009
Miami FL
The car was from a private seller, but what i did do was say it from a third person perspective, just asking if it was possible to obtain a missing title for a vehicle using the vin so that i may "purchase" it. Sometimes it happens with abandoned cars you may find and it just so happens to catch your eye. For example im actually thinking of doing the same thing for an AE86 i found abandoned, since no one knows who it belongs to, and its been sitting there for about 2 years now. Its not like ill find the title in the glove box, although it would be nice if it was still there! ;) Anyways, no it wont be too costly, or maybe not at all. Depends. Just be discreet and ask if they can pull up a title from their database for the car using the vin thats on the car. If they happen to ask you where the car is, just don't tell them.. they might try to take it from you, and label it as a stolen vehicle. You dont have to tell them much, if anything.. its a car you saw abandoned and you just so happened to pull up the vin. :p

USPturbo89

COONASS MAFIA MEMBER
Nov 2, 2008
so u got the title for it??? ill try and see what my pd says about it... my mom works for the sheriffs office anywho.... she works in the court house so i guess i could jsut talk to her bout it??? lol thanks a bunch bro... hopefully i can get it so i can start fixn up my baby...

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Also bring a "bill of sale" with you to the DMV. Also it wouldn't hurt to just "call" them and ask what you should do. Now where you could get hung up on if it the car was stolen and then junked, or if there is a lean on the title that never go taking care of.

IF all else fails, then go with a mechanics lean from your buddy

side note: LOL I just remembered I still have 2 titles to a 87 & 91 supras i junked out.

USPturbo89

COONASS MAFIA MEMBER
Nov 2, 2008
would one of those titles help out???? lol like if i had one and the v.i.n. didnt mathch.... could i still insure it??? lol someone tld me if i could just find a title for a mkiii supra about the same year that it would work.... lol just wondering

Mr.Forks

AnotherFoolJoe
Jun 8, 2009
nyc
www.hoonperformance.com
USPturbo89;1468768 said:
would one of those titles help out???? lol like if i had one and the v.i.n. didnt mathch.... could i still insure it??? lol someone tld me if i could just find a title for a mkiii supra about the same year that it would work.... lol just wondering

it's illegal to do that, but its not uncommon
where you run into the real trouble is if your insurance asks for a picture of your vin, or if it was a salvage title and your state requires an inspection of the rebuild ( insurance may require this as well)

USPturbo89

COONASS MAFIA MEMBER
Nov 2, 2008
well i guess ill go to the dmv an see what i can do... i appreciate yalls help... i really want my baby.... im stuck with driving a pontiac.... cuz someone hit me from behind in my truck...

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I imagine it varies from state to state, but after a certain year, you do not even need a title to get a car titled in your name. In Alabama, I believe it is anything before 1992. That would cover most MKIII's