How reliable is purchasing a JDM engine?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
I bought a n.a. soup from a guy that said it had a jdm ge in it. Died 6 months after I sold it. I always maintained it too. Never did take it apart though.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
seems like a lot of people are saying getting a used engine is a bad idea... but IMO it's not a bad option, especially if you can get one w/ super low miles....

I bought a jdm 7mgte from jazzproparts ($900 or so) when mine ate it's-self (think it suffered internal damage from overheating too much/too severely before I got it) anyhow, it came with some sort of warantee... engine ran good and strong for a long time (had pretty low miles too) it fried when I tuned it and ran it for a long time w/ a SAFC @ ~400bhp (safc is like playing with fire) when you go and modify the air flow signal you're skewing your timing maps as well... and if you happen to overboost, it's not hard to hurt your engine. I think the engine was still good (melted pistons aside) but I never got to re-build it, since that car was stolen.

of course when I got the engine, I tore it down and checked pretty much everything I could, replaced gaskets, seals, then torqued the head down PROPERLY so the HG wouldn't blow.

for the record my engine had about 20k miles when I got it. harness was chopped all to hell and it came w/ an auto trans.

Last edited:

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I hope you're not assuming that's what I did, because you'd be mistaken

mine came w/ paperwork stating mileage of the vehicle it was pulled from (wrecked a70) when I pulled it apart it was obvious it'd been sitting in a junk yard for a looong time. had an easy life though... hardly any carbon buildup

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Well, if it had paperwork.......then its legit ! should of said that in the first place!

Point is that they are not reliable. You still have to tear them open, check internals, refresh, and rebuild if needed.

Last edited:

PaulDoug

Mar 31, 2013
Clearwater Florida
I bought one back in December, installed it early January and so far been vary happy with it. It did not come out of a Supra tho, most likely a Cressida, I had to use my old oil pan, oil pump, throttle body and intake manifold, but once everything was installed it ran like a new car. Save as mush of the old engine as possible (including the knock sensor), you can sell a lot of the parts on ebay and keep some of them for your self because this car has parts that are not available from Toyota anymore. I got my engine from http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com Best of luck.

PaulDoug

Mar 31, 2013
Clearwater Florida
I bought one back in December, installed it early January and so far been vary happy with it. It did not come out of a Supra tho, most likely a Cressida, I had to use my old oil pan, oil pump, throttle body and intake manifold, but once everything was installed it ran like a new car. Save as mush of the old engine as possible (including the knock sensor), you can sell a lot of the parts on ebay and keep some of them for your self because this car has parts that are not available from Toyota anymore. I got my engine from http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com Best of luck.

PaulDoug

Mar 31, 2013
Clearwater Florida
A good rebuild on a 7mgte or 7mge engine will run you about $3250, $1300 sounds like it's only a head job and not a vary good one at that, especially in Sacramento. I saved about $1500 going the JDM route, I admit it was some what of a gamble, but it work out for me.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
PaulDoug;1931014 said:
A good rebuild on a 7mgte or 7mge engine will run you about $3250, $1300 sounds like it's only a head job and not a vary good one at that, especially in Sacramento. I saved about $1500 going the JDM route, I admit it was some what of a gamble, but it work out for me.

You probably got lucky, I've never read anything good about Tiger Japanese, and the motor I received from them was total garbage.

I agree with hvyman, the OP should just rebuild.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
At best 20 year old junk, at worst 20 year old broken junk that you need to pull and exchange at your own expense...

You can be sure they don't pay for fluids and labour under the warranty.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
S.A. supra;1930892 said:
Well, if it had paperwork.......then its legit ! should of said that in the first place!

Point is that they are not reliable. You still have to tear them open, check internals, refresh, and rebuild if needed.
yeah, if you didn't you'd be asking for it to blow up in your face... and if not that, it'd probably chew it's insides up and deposit them in your oil filter (slightly after blowing various seals/gaskets)

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
jcarlson73;1930923 said:
I have been researching a lot recently and the more I find the more it seems that the 7mgte is very unreliable, even if it is well maintained.
Any junkyard engine is unreliable, and even the "low mileage" JDM engines are still junkyard engines. By now too, they're 20+ year old junkyard engines. There's also going to be a reason why they're in a junkyard. Generally well maintained cars aren't exactly the mainstay of the junkyard.

That said, you might get the engine from someone's beloved car which they had intended to keep forever, until it was suddenly rear-ended. It's just far moire likely that you'll get the engine from the car that someone just didn't want to bother with fixing anymore.