How reliable is purchasing a JDM engine?

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
You bought a 24 year old sports car with a shot engine and electrical issues? Ahahaha, good luck.

Anyway, buying a JDM engine can be pretty risky, and some of that depends on the vendor. As in, what kind of documentation do they have as to what vehicle the engine came out of, and do they inspect the motor before selling it? Most, I'd venture, do not.

jcarlson73

Well a full 7mgte is only $1300. I haven't opened my block but I am almost sure its no good. And the guy I bought it from didn't put all the pieces back together so I am not even sure everything there is. So the goal was to buy an engine from a JDM dealer and have all the pieces

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
If you go jdm you would have to rebuild anyway. At least bare minimum would be to put all new gaskets and seals. So if you gonna do that you might as well do a rebuild. also your gonna want a new oil, and water pump. Do it right the first time and you'll be a happy man. I haven't looked at the 7mgte prices in a long time, but I remember them being more expensive.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
A JDM engine is a junkyard motor. At this point it's not younger than 21 years old. Dont waste your time with a JDM engine. Rebuild what you've got. People here can easily help you piece together whatever you're missing. You can't know a block is toast until you open it up.

Either way, you need to have a few thousand (probably more like $3k-4k) budgeted for getting it back up and reliable. Harness alone will be near $1000, maybe even more.

My 0.02.

jcarlson73

suprarx7nut;1929511 said:
A JDM engine is a junkyard motor. At this point it's not younger than 21 years old. Dont waste your time with a JDM engine. Rebuild what you've got. People here can easily help you piece together whatever you're missing. You can't know a block is toast until you open it up.

Either way, you need to have a few thousand (probably more like $3k-4k) budgeted for getting it back up and reliable. Harness alone will be near $1000, maybe even more.

My 0.02.

Yea the plan was to try and work with what I have, but I wanted to explore all my options. If my block is okay I may end up rebuilding it. But otherwise I feel like the JDM will be the next best option. When you order it on there you can add on the wiring harness for only $100 more

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
That will be 1000+$ that could have just gone to a rebuild.

All 7m had the same issues. jdm or not. And there all 20+ years old.

Best bet to just rebuild.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Basically jdm is a bad idea. Only time they are worth anything is when you don't have one in the first place. If I ever bought a jdm engine i'd do a complete teardown regardless.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I was considering a JDM motor in order to work on the build while having a driveable car. Instead though, I just bought a cheap 7M-GTE to build without pulling my motor.

One "advantage" that a JDM motor may have is that it's less likely to have been taken apart and machined before. Well, maybe.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
jcarlson73;1929554 said:
Yea the plan was to try and work with what I have, but I wanted to explore all my options. If my block is okay I may end up rebuilding it. But otherwise I feel like the JDM will be the next best option. When you order it on there you can add on the wiring harness for only $100 more

And that $100 harness will be crispy, ratty and 21-25 years old. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

spoolme

supra4umsfreak
May 9, 2005
Roswell, NM
back in 07 i purchased a 7mgte motor from osakajdmmotors.com ( i called of course) and it only was $1k back then. they lost my first motor in shipping....so after a month i was like WTF wheres my shit! calling was kind of a pain in the ass cuz the guy didnt speak very well. lol but they found out what happened....asked if i wanted another motor or my money back. i said i want a motor.... I had one in my garage 4 days later!!!!!!! all the way from by NY in Canada.
Tore it apart and the motor was Perfect!!!!
So sometimes i guess just take a chance. junkyard motor thats been banged around.... a JDM motor thats been sitting who knows how long banged around... or rebuild... just gotta pick one.
Good luck though

Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
In my own experience I have had good luck with JDM engines. Honestly the type of engine you purchase matters as well. I imported a 7MGE for my first rodknocked supra and only changed the oil pump nothing else when i swapped, it ran great no BHG. If you import a 7M I would do oil pump/headgasket at the minimum