How much would you pay for my car???

sm00p

Dec 14, 2006
New York
I'm selling my supra soon and was wondering what I can get for it. I need at least 3,000 because that's about how much I put into it as a low estimate. It's a white 1987 turbo. I rebuilt the engine about 3000 miles ago and it's been running extremely well. The turbo leaks a little bit of oil into the intake but I'm trying to get a new turbo soon. The interior is kinda bad. Both front seats are torn pretty badly and the rear is decent. There's no radio and no A/C. I just put new shocks on and replaced the brake pads. I'm replacing the power steering pump soon too because it's shot. The rotors are slightly warped but not that bad. You only notice it under very hard braking. The trunk leaks a little into the quarter panels but nothing in the actual trunk will get wet. There's no fan shroud and the accessory and A/C fan's don't work. They can be easily fixed by someone with electrical know how though. The part of the bumper where the fog lights are is cracked and the lights are broken down there. Some of the exterior moulding is cracked and some is missing. The door makes a cracking sound when you open and close it. I replaced the clutch disc when I rebuilt the engine also, so the clutch is good. I also recently replaced a ball joint and checked the others and they are good. The tranny is still in excellent shape although the shift linkage has some slop in it.

I'm looking for an honest opinion here. I'm not actually selling it yet because it's currently my only driveable car. Thanks.

Ronald

Oct 16, 2007
Cleveland OH
sm00p;1093002 said:
I'm selling my supra soon and was wondering what I can get for it. I need at least 3,000 because that's about how much I put into it as a low estimate. It's a white 1987 turbo. I rebuilt the engine about 3000 miles ago and it's been running extremely well. The turbo leaks a little bit of oil into the intake but I'm trying to get a new turbo soon. The interior is kinda bad. Both front seats are torn pretty badly and the rear is decent. There's no radio and no A/C. I just put new shocks on and replaced the brake pads. I'm replacing the power steering pump soon too because it's shot. The rotors are slightly warped but not that bad. You only notice it under very hard braking. The trunk leaks a little into the quarter panels but nothing in the actual trunk will get wet. There's no fan shroud and the accessory and A/C fan's don't work. They can be easily fixed by someone with electrical know how though. The part of the bumper where the fog lights are is cracked and the lights are broken down there. Some of the exterior moulding is cracked and some is missing. The door makes a cracking sound when you open and close it. I replaced the clutch disc when I rebuilt the engine also, so the clutch is good. I also recently replaced a ball joint and checked the others and they are good. The tranny is still in excellent shape although the shift linkage has some slop in it.

I'm looking for an honest opinion here. I'm not actually selling it yet because it's currently my only driveable car. Thanks.

From the sound of it I don't think I'd pay $3000 for it. But you seem to focus on what's wrong with the car from above, so you might 'skew' people's opinion to the lower side by doing that. Usually from what I see people make the for sale thread and talk about whats good on the car, and then closer to the bottom they list "the bad". Honestly I don't think I'd pay $1000 for this car if I didn't have one and was trying to get in on a budget. Then again you might find a more willing buyer if they were "looking" for a deal on a project car that already had a good start.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
sm00p;1093002 said:

not a good sales person are ya? ;)

You never ever focus on the bad. You focus on the good. No radio is not that big a deal.

No A/C depends on where you are at might be a big deal breaker.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Pictures tell the story! Currently I'm picturing a pretty rough looking car, with a promising motor. And even then, I usually doubt the abilities of a motor builder that I know nothing of. So, like I said, pictures could clear this up. The honesty with which you describe the bad is a major plus though. I feel like if I bought your car, I'd know what was wrong with it before I got it.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Well, how much did *you* buy it for? Unless it's in significantly worse shape now, it's likely that's about what you'll get.

The repairs that you have put into it fall into the maintenance category, and do not add to the value of the car.

sm00p

Dec 14, 2006
New York
I'm not trying to sell the car right now which is why I mentioned that. I wanted an honest opinion which is why I mostly talked about the bad. Because honestly how much can you buy a practically new engine for? That's worth something in itself. When I'm actually trying to sell it I'll probably try and sell it locally and will definately give test drives and such. It's not far from being a good car...It's just that I need the money and I have a subaru outback which is necessary for living in upsate new york which is where I go to school. I know I've seen cars in worse shape going for the same or more. I think it's also worse because since I rebuilt it I'm really focused on what the engine is doing. I hear practically every noise the thing makes and feel everything too. I usually complain to people about it and they tell me it's not as bad as I make it seem. But I still criticize it a lot. Anyway, I'm just wondering if you think it's possible for me to get a decent amount for it.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
sm00p;1093058 said:
Because honestly how much can you buy a practically new engine for? That's worth something in itself.

nope

that just means you had issues and now replaced the motor. That puts a BIG question mark on the new motor as anything not in spec, not broken in will show up but not until later.

sm00p

Dec 14, 2006
New York
figgie;1093088 said:
nope

that just means you had issues and now replaced the motor. That puts a BIG question mark on the new motor as anything not in spec, not broken in will show up but not until later.

I bought it with rod knock on 3 cylinders and completelty rebuilt it. The crank was sent out and everything on the motor was checked at a machine shop. I have the receipts from all the work I had done and everything. And the motor went in the first place because the previous owner was an idiot and put a horrible electric fan on it that didn't cool aything. He also had a sketchy boost controller that I'm sure was set too high for the stock internals.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
I'll tell you right now that if they used spray welding to repair the crank I wouldn't give a dime for it!!!!

Post some pics so we can give a fair price as to how much it could sell for.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Timing and market also play a huge role in what you can get for the car. If you live where a Subaru outback is a necessity, there may be times that you couldn't give the storage beast away. But, if you waited until the time came for safe sports car driving, you mat get more than it is worth. Noone will really be able to give you a good estimate without seeing some pictures first.

Ronald

Oct 16, 2007
Cleveland OH
I would also note that i try to follow the for sale forum on here and Supraforums.com closely/daily, as well as Ebay MKIII's for sale closely........

You want to get $3000 for the car, but a VERY VERY clean and nice looking red MKIII with what appeared to be an equally clean 2JZ twin turbo swap completed and a very nice interior and dyno'd 390whp didn't even meet its reserve price on Ebay two weeks ago and the highest bidder was $6800. Yes that's over twice your desired minimum price, but I also argue that it was more than twice your car in terms of value.

Economic timing matters as well. And right now if you try to sell your economic timing is horrible. Prices for many many "SPORTS" cars are falling, some like bats from the sky. Take a look at corvette prices, currently falling off several thousand PER MONTH last 6months alone.

Supras are no different; many are not getting the price they used to, both MKIII and even some MKIV.

If its capable of guzzling gas, has only rear wheel drive, and summer only tires, you can bet your resale price right now has been diminished. Why- simple law of supply & demand. Right now demand is in dumps due to lost jobs, inavailability of credit, and poor consumer confidence.

The catch - - Sell it now if you want to get ANY money for it at all; I guarantee you 12months from now it will be worth EVEN LESS.

sorry i know that's not what a person wants to hear, but I like to think of myself as a realist, i've been studying this economic cycle for a bit now; and I am certain we are only at the very beginning of a NASTY stretch that will change the way people in this country live their lives, for a very long time.

As others have said, pics would make a big difference. But I agree am always leary when I read "newly built engine, etc". Part of reason why I stayed away from RX7's.... sweet cars but seems like EVERY one of them I see for sale starts with "rebuilt / replaced engine". Inherently makes the buyer nervous, if they have any sense about them.

Guess this one seems appropriate anyways: :ttiwwp:

Last edited:

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Fix some of those things. Some are easy and won't take too much time or money. Check the junkyard for a few things. From what I remember from the first post, if theres is a supra in your junkyard grab the trunk seals and test them out. At my junkyard I sometimes get those things for free.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Can't estimate what I can't see.

Also, you're in the wrong hobby if you think you're going to get back how much you put into it...