How much have you spent on your MkIII

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
IJ.;1763165 said:
I'm semi retired so I was
pimp.gif
the Ho's ...

Never added up how much I spent but it was a LOT as I didn't cut a single corner.

Even spread out of the 13 years I owned the Fat Car it was still a bunchOcash.

I just had to say that I have never seen anything like your car was at any level. To say you didn't cut any corners is a gross understatement. This man's car was without a doubt primary in being one of the cars that insipred me and even though it's gone, it still inspires my car related activities.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
I am somewhere near 7500 including purchase price. It will be much more in the near future, but some of that will be recovered by the sale of things. Within the next year, I am looking at new wheels, paint and a new interior, along with selling my 1jz/r154 single turbo motorset and swapping a 2jz-gte "stock twin" auto in.

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
Over two and a half years i thrown about 11000 lt, that's about 4500 usd, in my mk3. That's including simple needed repairs and another 7m with all the work.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just topped 20k into my car in 3 years (including the 6k purchase price). Almost all (except maybe 2k) is body and paint. I like new parts where I can.. and they are hella expensive and my mechanic abilities aren't up to par for me to trust myself doing the engine work.

A lot of people assume that a car like this is overexpensive. I dont think that. ANY car is a waste of money unless you have a classic car worth 60,000+ and can afford to store it in a humidty controlled storage area.. and at that point.. you probably arent someone who has to worry about money anyway. Also I think in about 5 years, the market for these cars will change quite a bit as people start collecting more Japanese/Euro cars (face it.. the classic US car crew is retiring.. lol). The kids that grow up in the "fast and the furious" age will have Supra stamped in their brain and the cars are dying quicker than being revived.
For repair costs.. bear in mind.. the brakes on a 1999 Chrysler 300M (17") cost over 650.00 in parts if you cheap out. You dont even want to look at repair costs on the newer vehicles when the engine dies prematurely or the automagic transmission with additional faux-shifing starts acting wonky. And good rims and tires can be done on a budget.. but proper ones are NOT cheap... and.. who wants a cheap Supra?

The real problem is, the car is undervalued because repairs are usually VERY intensive and VERY expensive (2 words that will crater most "hobbiests"). I could have bought a MKIV and been further ahead, however, I really dont like the look of them although the ride is much better. The MKIII is very unique and I personally can just stand outside and stare at it. Its like Opium. :)

Nothing cheap on the car except the selling price..

I researched the car for 2 years before buying (should have researched 4... ) and planned on putting roughly 36,000 into it when done. No disappointment here

Worth it? logically no.. emotionally ... very.

Oh forgot to mention.. my car is insured as a Collector's car.. I dont know about other areas, but in Alberta this is already classified as an antique. :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Flateric;1763536 said:
I just had to say that I have never seen anything like your car was at any level. To say you didn't cut any corners is a gross understatement. This man's car was without a doubt primary in being one of the cars that insipred me and even though it's gone, it still inspires my car related activities.
I think it's fair to say IJ *made* some of the corners, no? :)

enjoyer;1763563 said:
Over two and a half years i thrown about 11000 lt, that's about 4500 usd, in my mk3. That's including simple needed repairs and another 7m with all the work.
From what I remember you saying in another thread about budgeting, that is basically a small fortune in your area, correct? That's some dedication!

Grandavi;1763588 said:
Also I think in about 5 years, the market for these cars will change quite a bit as people start collecting more Japanese/Euro cars (face it.. the classic US car crew is retiring.. lol).

I'm not so sure I can agree with you entirely on that. My brother is only 23, and has had a 1964 Impala 4 door for some 4 or 5 years now, he LOVES that thing, and frankly... so do I. My car is more capable in nearly every respect, but it will never, despite all my plans, make me feel as 'cool' as riding in his car does. There will always be a market for classic US (well, classic anything) cars. The classic Japanese car is basically anything from the 60's and 70's though, and given time, cars from the 80's will be considered classic too. :)

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
te72;1763633 said:
From what I remember you saying in another thread about budgeting, that is basically a small fortune in your area, correct? That's some dedication!

Well, roughly putt, it's worth about half a year of my sallary. For some people here even a whole year. Money isn't the real isue here. It's all about satisfaction. I don't regret any money spent on that thing.
On the side note, it's not that big sum of money. If you try to distribute it over more than two years. There are friends of mine that spent tripple or more on their cars. But those are purpose made for sports. Mine is a DD.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
te72;1763633 said:
I'm not so sure I can agree with you entirely on that. My brother is only 23, and has had a 1964 Impala 4 door for some 4 or 5 years now, he LOVES that thing, and frankly... so do I. My car is more capable in nearly every respect, but it will never, despite all my plans, make me feel as 'cool' as riding in his car does. There will always be a market for classic US (well, classic anything) cars. The classic Japanese car is basically anything from the 60's and 70's though, and given time, cars from the 80's will be considered classic too. :)

True, but the worthy oldsters that I grew up with are all above the 20,000 mark now (in any kind of shape) and the ultimate beauties are 100k+. Although, there are still some mide 60 ponies out for under 10k and the odd pre-72 Camaro for under 10k as well. They are excellent to own (my wife would love one.. she hates my car.. lol) but I have had 70's cars and as a project/hobby.. yes.. definitely. However, for drivability? nope. I hate how dangerous a nice MachI Mustang is on the highway with its extremely light backend. I also am too old to drive without shoulder belts.. the ones that dont retract are very restrictive.

Now... there are a horde of vettes that are buyable... but to me.. thats just an American Supra. :p

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Grandavi;1763677 said:
True, but the worthy oldsters that I grew up with are all above the 20,000 mark now (in any kind of shape) and the ultimate beauties are 100k+. Although, there are still some mide 60 ponies out for under 10k and the odd pre-72 Camaro for under 10k as well. They are excellent to own (my wife would love one.. she hates my car.. lol) but I have had 70's cars and as a project/hobby.. yes.. definitely. However, for drivability? nope. I hate how dangerous a nice MachI Mustang is on the highway with its extremely light backend. I also am too old to drive without shoulder belts.. the ones that dont retract are very restrictive.

Now... there are a horde of vettes that are buyable... but to me.. thats just an American Supra. :p
All depends on where you get them. Brother paid something like $1500 for his car, and it's in pretty damned good shape. For that kind of price though, it's definitely a long term commitment and a good deal of restoration involved if you want a pristine car without paying out the ass up front for a car that's already been fixed up.

Oh, and I bet the Vette crowd would LOVE to hear you compare their halo car to a 'mere' Japanese sports car. Probably lynch you! :rofl:

enjoyer;1763667 said:
Well, roughly putt, it's worth about half a year of my sallary. For some people here even a whole year. Money isn't the real isue here. It's all about satisfaction. I don't regret any money spent on that thing.
On the side note, it's not that big sum of money. If you try to distribute it over more than two years. There are friends of mine that spent tripple or more on their cars. But those are purpose made for sports. Mine is a DD.
I doubt you'll find anyone in this thread that does regret the money spent on their cars. Only regret I have is the interest paid on the credit I was stupid enough to use to buy parts for an engine I no longer have. ;)

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
te72;1764340 said:
I doubt you'll find anyone in this thread that does regret the money spent on their cars. Only regret I have is the interest paid on the credit I was stupid enough to use to buy parts for an engine I no longer have. ;)

Although it was a learning experience, I really wish I went 2jz off of the bat instead of going 1jz.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I wouldn't have minded a 2j, but when I was about to buy, a 1j setup they had (Jhot, RIP) caught my eye. Came with a spare R154 rather than the Aristo auto, had a lot less miles, and was in really nice shape, for roughly the same price. Not disappointed at all with the money spent on the 1j setup, keeps up (or at least kept up, I think Dustin has a good 160+whp on me by now) with anyone I knew without a monster 7m, so... yeah.

If I were doing another Mk3 fresh from scratch though, I'd probably go for the 2j. Ideally a VVTI 3.4, if my wallet were bulging. ;)

xms

Jan 25, 2006
tx
I'm at 18k without the wheels, that i just spent another 3200.00 on, okay I'm definitely depress now :(

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I'm somewhere over $50k. About $10-11k this year, $8k last year and another $7K the year before. Mind you I've redone a few things along the way (got about $3k into my headlights alone) and I've had some major problems and set backs the last 3 years. Reality of it, I've stopped counting and I don't have a large chunk of the receipts I should have. My wife has finally put me on a $600 every 3 month budget for the Supra and I've already spent half of that in a the first month alone.

If you were to ask me was all the money and time spent worth it, I'd reply with a very happy "yup!"

Last edited:

raysupra

7m Love
Jan 18, 2010
Mustang, OK
Flateric;1762989 said:
Just a small second mortgage on my soul.

But you do not ask the correct question....Which is....

How much money have you spent on your car and has it been worth it for the time that you have owned it?

Time in my car = PRICELESS! Worth every penny as is evidenced by the big silly stupid grin on my face every time I am behind the wheel!

It never fails to put me in a great mood!

I've owned mine for 22 years now. Original owner.
Hell yea! always puts me in the best of moods!
I'm in like 15k+car.. lol still can't drive it yet either >.< finishing the build almost their

noone should feel bad either... would you rather buy a brand new lets say Acura TL or a Infiniti for anywhere from 20-30k and have a brand new car degrade overtime?
or buy a fixer upper supra for 2-5k and spend your time and love over the years building up a amazing car making it Newer as time goes on :) plus Restoring what is soon to be our Classic Cars.. ouch 90-2011 21yrs just 4 more to go.

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
After this rebuild im going to be up around 5k and then it will be just suspension mods left, weight reduction, wheels, and paint job. im hoping to be happy with my ride by 10k....

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think most people's Supra experience (first timers...) goes kinda like this...

EXCITEMENT - you found it!!!
Disappointment - you found more than you bargained for...

I know of 3 instances where people have bought Supras just this year near me that have went like that.. one died about 1 week after purchase, one was going to pour tons of $$ into it... until the bill climbed over 3200.00 (and that was just teardown and diagnosis.. lol), and one bought, drove, died, sold.. 2 month time.

Now... my city has 1 million people... so.. I imagine that is happening everywhere.. to some degree. No idea how long it will take until people dont have the "cheap Supras" to buy anymore. I still kind of choke a bit when I see Rodel's car for sale for under 20,000 or the Cherry Widebody for 20,000. Those cars are worth well over 30,000 and they will be VERY hard pressed to sell at anything over 8,000.

In general, I find that the majority of Supra worshippers are under 24 (not all... just most) and are building careers, going to school, starting to consider families or having them already and they can't afford to spend 30,000 on a car with 70,000 put into it. So.. if your in a panic sell situation.. good luck. I personally would pay the 20k for the Widebody on in B.C. or Rodel's car. IF... I hadn't already put my car in the shop... just because I am sooooo much farther ahead doing so.

unfortunately.. you dont learn that until your swimming in the pool.