How long have you been modifying cars for?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Gilsdorf said:
26 years.
Jdub, love the Heavy Chevy's! I had a '67 327 Malibu. But my first car was 1975 Chevy Monza that I dropped in a built LT-1 350(in 1981) it would lift the front left tire 6" off the ground when I got traction.

Gotta love American muscle ;)

Yeah, my SS was fast...scary fast considering it handled like a boat!

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
I had cars before this, but in 1973, I bought a 1966 Mercury Cyclone GT. 390 auto with 3.25 rear. I bought a 4 speed donor car for the trans and related parts and installed a new from Ford long block 427 medium riser with a ford top loader and a set of 4.57 gears. At one time the gears got changed to a 4.10. I had a lot of fun with that car. I ran a best of 12.20 with open headers and a set of M+H slicks. Life went on and sold the motor to fund the deck on my house, was gonna put a 289/302 in it and turn it into a DD, but that never happened. Sold the body about eight years ago and bought a Supra because I have always liked the style. After learning that there is some horsepower to be gained easily, I mildly modded the car and drive it occasionally. The car just did 318/326 on the dyno, not big numbers, but just enough for me. It's a really nice car to drive and I will drive it anywhere in the US without taking extra oil, spare parts or tools with me. I always get home without any problems. The car drives like new. It's a Toyota. Thats the way it should be. Maintenance is the key.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
JustAnotherVictim said:
About 5-6 years probably more. After the supra is all done I want a charger.

I've realized that the Supra will(more or less) never be 'done.' So I'm right about at the point where I'm content with it and I'm planning to move onto spending my money on something else I've been putting off because of the Supra.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Roughly 24 to 25 yrs. here. Now the strange part is that I am only 30, But well lets just put it this way, I assembled (what I was physically strong enough to do) my first motor when I was 6 yrs old.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
15 years (since I was 7, I kid you not)

Went from an '84 Olds 2 door Cutlass (that got a 350 Rocket W30 shoved in), to an '89 Mustang 302, to a '77 Trans Am (my first real car), to an '88 Camaro, to an '88 Honda, to an '88 Supra.

I want my '77 back, to tell the truth. Massive power + decent handling (converted to the WS/6 setup)

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
suprarich said:
Long enough to know what a dwell meter is for...24 years...... Damn I'm getting old

LOL! I remember when you changed the points and the plugs! I'll bet most of these guys don't even know what points are. ;)

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Yes, Points were a nightmare. I learned on my Fiats to make them run good, they came with daul points, I'd remove one set, use an electric fuel pump, ditch the cat, and those Fiat engines really woke up and became reliable.