How long do you idle for?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
vas85 said:
What kind of car do you drive? I thought you had some pimp oldschool muscle car @ one stage or a Merc or something.....??

Must have me confused with the voices in your head... ;) I bought a junker Pinto when I got my license ~25 years ago, picked up an '82 Celica after that quickly shuffled off this mortal coil, and I've been a Toyota Supra guy ever since. Well, except for a short foray into Ford Probe territory in about '97, I guess.

I've *driven* lots of different cars, including lots of old muscle cars.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Fair enough Grim :) I think I might from now on just start her up 10-15seconds driveaway off boost until warmenough. I agree too that nothing gets the temperatures up quicker than slow driving rather than idling.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I usually start it up, let oil pressure rise... then drive off keeping it between 2500-3000rpm shifting normally, no heavy gas or anything.. I don't get on it untill I see the temp at around 180-190f and the oil pressure sitting where it should be at operating temps (2kg/cm2 at 2,000rpm).. I know my engines warm when the oil pressure and coolant are right. Then continue to drive normally, maybe shifting at 4,000rpm. You can tell the tranny is warm by how it shifts aswell, usually 5 minutes of driving gets the trans feeling normal, then again, with Redline mt90 in there it shifts like butter when it's cold...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
This has been covered numerous times. Basically what fiyota, poodles, and IJ said. Wait until oil pressure comes up and go. The sooner you get the engine out of cold enrichment by driving it gently the better. Not to mention prolonged idling reduces the car's fuel and transportation efficiency to zero.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
jetjock said:
This has been covered numerous times. Basically what fiyota, poodles, and IJ said. Wait until oil pressure comes up and go. The sooner you get the engine out of cold enrichment by driving it gently the better. Not to mention prolong idling reduces the car's fuel and transportation efficiency to zero.

Yeah I figured this might have been, I just did a search before I started the thread and didn't find nothing useful or anything remotely matching this (now I dont want to be proved wrong but if first search result didn't give me what I want I opened the thread :), plus I think sometimes its good to have a new thread of the same topic as ideas / thoughts change over time, nothing is constant :))

kntmikado

Rage Your Dream...
Apr 2, 2005
East Troy, WI 53120
vas85 said:
Yeah I figured this might have been, I just did a search before I started the thread and didn't find anything useful or anything remotely matching this (now I dont want to be proved wrong but if first search result didn't give me what I want I opened the thread :), plus I think sometimes its good to have a new thread of the same topic as ideas / thoughts change over time, nothing is constant :))

Fixed.

You're welcome.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Eh, already said, but I'll agree - I crank the car, watch the oil pressure come up, and drive it nice and easy until warmed up to operating temp.

ONLY exception is if it is freezing ass cold out - then I fire it up, turn the heater on max, and go back inside for a few minutes ;)

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
under 2 grand? how? even with my n/a gears being at like 1,000rpm in 3rd would be a lot of load on the engine for it being cold (or any time at all).