How long do you idle for?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I wait for about 2 or 3 minutes, then gently rev to about 1000-1400 rpms and then taking off..

also, my tranny has a hard time getting into gear if it isn't exactly at operating temperature....

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
I live right next to multiple highways that I take everywhere so I let mine warm up 10-15 minutes before I leave for work or anything. I just don't like taking a cold car and immediately sitting it at 3 grand.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
vas85 said:
Yeah I figured this might have been, I just did a search before I started the thread and didn't find nothing useful or anything remotely matching this (now I dont want to be proved wrong but if first search result didn't give me what I want I opened the thread :), plus I think sometimes its good to have a new thread of the same topic as ideas / thoughts change over time, nothing is constant :))
Hmm...I just searched "how long idle cold start" and returned result:
How long do u idle your car before driving it?
It has the same answers you're getting here:sarcasm:

.....hahah....you eveh have posts in that thread...:icon_razz

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Me and the owners-manual agree with IJ and others: Unless it is below freezing, do not let the car idle, just drive it gently untill it warms up.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
johnathan1 said:
I wait probably 30 seconds before I put it in reverse and back out of my carport...then drive like a grandma until it is warm...Keep the revs under 2,000.
Lug much?

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
I usually do like 10-15 secs until I put my seatbelt on and wait for the garage door to open :)
Two times I had to tow it for 20-30 minutes or so and the oil pressure was way below normal level (kinda scary)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
start, watch oil pressure gauge, buckle up, gone.

once it's been at full operating temp for a little bit of driving (like to give everything a chance to warm up), then i get on it.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Well since I live in CO and its winter I start the car up in an atmosphere of about 0F in the mornings.

The high was 25F today. O_O

I let it idle for maybe 60 seconds. Not sure if it helps any, but I figure when its RFC (really fucking cold) the engine doesn't like 3k rpms. :dunno:

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
My manual says when its RFC you can idle up to 2 minutes or something like that. In that scenario I'd say its more OK, but still probably unnecessary if you're running any modern oil of the proper weight.