HKS Filters suck

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
... ERRR I mean get sucked

I had some major WOT problems a few months back, and just found this picture on my camera. The engine kept choking out and dieing over 2800RPMS. I logged with my wideband, spent an hour or so checking hoses and boost leak testing. Then my roomate pointed out something.

hksdiewc1.jpg

Hmm that may have been the problem. The turbo sucked up and chewed my HKS mushroom filter to pieces. It was clogging the AFM hardcore. The funny thing was I took off all the intake piping and AFM to boost leak test and didn't notice green foam pieces everywhere.

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Many pieces were found in the turbine blades. I'm running a LEX so theres a space for chunks to fit. Some made it through the honeycomb too.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
So basically we have two options... coat the insides of our afm with a nice layer of oil... (if oiled in correctly).. or worry about foam getting sucked into the afm (if mistreated)... hmm

I'd think it's much easier to have a foam filter, when you check your oil (I do it every morning) just look at the filter.

89turbotoy

2 89 supras 2jzgte/single
Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
fiyota said:
So basically we have two options... coat the insides of our afm with a nice layer of oil... (if oiled in correctly).. or worry about foam getting sucked into the afm (if mistreated)... hmm

I'd think it's much easier to have a foam filter, when you check your oil (I do it every morning) just look at the filter.
or just oil your filter correctly and dont worry about it. IMHO

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
the HKS is an OIL SOAKED FOAM filter

it is NOT cleanable, you replace it

failure to replace causes issues like this

it's worse thna a K&N as not only does oil get in, but it doesn't filter that good, and it does break down.

Apex'i AEM, ect are better as they're dry and aren't foam...

FYI: the BEST filter you can run on your car is..... S T O C K

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
hks dirt sucker - crappyest filter ever and same with greddy's new one too

k&n - oily mess that will wrerck your afm sencer over time

blitz stainless wounder does not clean much but will last for ever

apexi aem best out there .