help me pick tires! plz.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Ok i think im gonna have to stick with stock star rims.:icon_conf Money is tight so i cant afford new wheels but i can afford to splurge on some rubber, pretty much as much as is necessary, im not going cheep on this :naughty:

Problem is the market has moved onto the 17'' world and ditched those with 16's, quite frankly i just want to hook up at the tree and have grip down the 1320 without having to switch wheel/tire setups at the track, then drive down the highway for 3 hours and not worry about wearing them out with daily use.:1zhelp: My choices for tires are becoming limited. I orignally wanted the nitto 555 but the only size they offer would shrink my contact patch down to a 205, f#@k that. So gimme your honest opinion on a 16'' tire.

stock 5 stars are 225/50/r16

i'm looking for something like
235+/less than 55/ r16

right now the contestants are,

the Potenza 245/45ZR16 $125 each
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W

bfgoodrich gforce sport 255/50ZR16 $105
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...g=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&RunFlat=All

Nitto 450's (all season) P245/50R-16 $106
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/ti...=98801&rc=WASINT&tc=NITHV3&cs=245&ar=50&rd=16

+1 adding a tire

Pirelli Pzero stock size $155
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=19

Last edited:

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
G-force sports are good. but 255/50 is really big. its going to look like it is on a truck beacue of that large side wall. you might want to try 225/50, 245/45, or even 245/50

rsaeini

padawan
Oct 30, 2006
SoCal
i think the widest the RT615 comes in at 205 in 16's.

out of those choices i would say go with the Pirelli.

also consider the Hankook Ventus RS2, nice sticky tire and wears pretty darn good. it's very under-rated IMO.

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
americanjebus said:
Ok i think im gonna have to stick with stock star rims.:icon_conf Money is tight so i cant afford new wheels but i can afford to splurge on some rubber, pretty much as much as is necessary, im not going cheep on this :naughty:QUOTE]

Give these a look. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...er=Kumho&speed_rating=W&RunFlat=All&x=46&y=13

I just put a set of 17's on and love 'em. Ignore the price, I can't explain why it's so low. There is not another performance tire out there with as good a treadwear rating that I found and it also sports a "AA" traction rating and it's all season. The tires run dead quiet and are great in the rain. I've been in the tire business for almost twenty years and I was pretty skepticle but everything I read and researched proved accurate.

If you are going to stay with the stock wheels go with a p245/50r16. The difference in height won't be a factor (same as the 17's I just put on) and the cross section width will put more rubber to the ground.

I haven't taken them to the track yet but I push 'em pretty hard as my daily driver and all I can say is I'm impressed.

Best of luck in your search.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ got 'em. love 'em. great tire, and that's where i got them too. :)

275/40/r17 rear, 255/40 front

-shaeff

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
suprageezer said:
tirerack.com, get a price then go to discount tires and they'll match it. I run Goodyear F1's 245/50-16. $151.00 ea

I've heard nothing but good things about the F1, except they are crap in snow. So if you want to drive your car in the snow don't buy these tires.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Just something I’ve learned from experience. There is NO rubber tire that gets good traction in the snow, that’s what chains and studs are for. Anyone that claims one tire is better than another in snow is just being silly if you ask me since the differences in temps, wetness, and a host of other conditions would dictate the outcome. When there's snow on the ground I go as damn slow and as safe as I can just to get to where I’m going. Plus on just a few degrees of slope at a stand still you can push a car from a dead stop with your fingertips, imagine hitting the brakes and trying to stop from 30mph. Yes I know there are millions of people who drive 70 in the snow; I'm not one of them since I value your life as well as mine. Now if you were to go to tirerack.com and read the reviews on the F1's and see yes there are more people claiming they handle great in the snow than one would imagine. Like I said in snow it's all about getting from point A to point B without killing someone or being killed by someone with far too much trust in their snow tires.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
suprageezer said:
Just something I’ve learned from experience. There is NO rubber tire that gets good traction in the snow, that’s what chains and studs are for. Anyone that claims one tire is better than another in snow is just being silly if you ask me since the differences in temps, wetness, and a host of other conditions would dictate the outcome.

i would disagree. blizzaks were far better in the snow than my conti cz-91's. it has to do w/ the block design, stiffness of the block, and the size itself will have a big impact. a 275 tire will just suck period due to the width. also to note, i have a few canadian friends that have blizzaks (and another brand that eludes me) mounted on spare tire wheels. they drive in the snow all day long w/o any problems.

and besides, chains and studs are illegal in a lot of states (including here)

now, as far as the subject, i would stick w/ 245/45 or 245/50 for the stock wheels. 255/50 isnt very common to find, only a few make those outside of competition tires. and on stock wheels you will get quite a bit of sidewall rollover which might feel a little loose in turns. if you dont care about cornering speed this might not be an issue for you.

and while im still rambling, take into account not all tire sizes are created equal. the width is measured sidewall to sidewall. depending on sidewall design, some will be wider than others. example- a tire with a more rounded sidewall the actual tread width will be smaller than a tire with a more square sidewall. something to consider.

bluemk3

cool
Feb 28, 2006
h burg, PA
i have hankook k106s they are semi cheap and wear really nice they have very nice straight line traction and you can feel the front end pull into the turns as well im happey wiht em ive got 235 55 in back and 225 60 in front