Heater Control Valve

xXSupramanXx

Drifter
Mar 12, 2008
Dayton
Are all the heater control valves between 86 and 92 the same? I went to local autoparts stores but none carried so I may have to go check out a junk yard. All help is appreciated

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
xXSupramanXx;1429783 said:
Are all the heater control valves between 86 and 92 the same? I went to local autoparts stores but none carried so I may have to go check out a junk yard. All help is appreciated

I'm pretty sure that the are. I had to replace mine and it was just an extra part that came with my car. But you prolly want to get one at the junk yard because I checked with toyota and they are like a $140.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
Come on chris you couldn't have asked one of us locally?? lol
Try this....
p1429849_1.jpg

That bypasses the VSV so it should stay open, If you get heat after you change those lines your VSV is dead.
Theres one on Ebay for $89 right now too.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'd suggest buying a new one. All the old, used ones, are plastic and seem to be about ready to fail. I've put several used ones on my car and they have all failed within a few months.

My nice shiny new one is sitting with Mark from Vancouver Toyota now, I'll have it soon.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Yeah, this isn't a part you really want to buy second hand unless you find one that's near mint. It sits in one of the hottest areas of the engine bay, and has piping hot coolant circulating through it on a near daily basis.

Besides, the original one lasted 20ish years, you'll probably never have to replace it again if you buy new. ;)

xXSupramanXx

Drifter
Mar 12, 2008
Dayton
x87SUPRA87x;1429849 said:
Come on chris you couldn't have asked one of us locally?? lol
Try this....
p1430230_1.jpg

That bypasses the VSV so it should stay open, If you get heat after you change those lines your VSV is dead.
Theres one on Ebay for $89 right now too.

Lol I know I know. Ur just a busy man. I just tried that tho and it didn't work

Last edited:

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
jetjock;1430199 said:
It'd help if you were more specific but assuming you're in need of the coolant valve itself:

http://www.autopartsnerd.com/item.wws?sku=74637&mfr=FOUR+SEASONS

Swap the actuating lever from the old valve. The new valve has mounting holes on both sides so it'll orient correctly to the stock bracket. Install and be happy...

There is more involved.

But nothing a file and moving the vacuum line on the VSV won't fix. ;)