headlight conversion

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
how are you guys mounting these projector lights. I love 'em and would like to get a set with HID's, but I'm not sure how to mount them. The other option I do is a Hella h4 seal beam housing with HID's.

bondie

Pisshead
Aug 26, 2005
UK
Or you could do a set like mine, which in total cost me about £150 (not sure of exchange rate to the $)

Basically a set of twin headlights from a motorcycle :biglaugh:

p122108_1.jpg
p122108_2.jpg
p122108_3.jpg

p122108_4.jpg

Last edited:

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
Bondie, Those look amazing. Do you want to PM or post some tips on how you mounted them, and what you did to pop the lights up a certaing height. I think I'm going to buy the 90mm projectors ad 90mm high beams and do a similar set up, but what did you use to mount them.

Thanks

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Suprastic: I've been working on getting the mounting for the Hella 90mm headlights for a number of years now. If you check out rallylights.com they actually have a mounting plate for the lights - you just have to figure out how to mount that plate in the bucket. This is a bit tricky but it can be done. SupraNick has these in his Supra.

Bondie: Those do look cool. What lenses did you use?

Keith

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
can u not just moddifiy the motor to flip up to a desired height. Then take some sheet metal, cut it to fit the bucket and just drill mounting bracket in. That should create the mounting platefor the lights. One holes for the new lights cut you can dry fit them, measure to see how much the projectors protrude from the brackets and make a fiberglass front for the housing making the projectprs look sealed anf flush with the rest of the housing. I know, I know...It's not as easy as it sounds. If you wouldn;t mine you you please PM me with some info on this. I think I'm going to try and make the bracket, and if they work out good, then I'll order the lights. I have most of the dimensions for them..

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Actually no PM necessary. Basically everything you wrote is pretty close to right on.

Things to keep in mind:

The motor itself cannot just be modified to raise up a certain height. The motor makes a full rotation from light off - light on - light off.

The "rod" and "arm" assembly that actually moves the headlight up and down will both need to be adjusted (cut down). If you only modify one part you will get your headlight to not go up all the way - but you will also have a headlight that won't go down all the way. :)

There is some pretty hefty cutting of the actual bucket necessary to fit the Hella lenses in there but they will fit once you get enough material out.

My bracket is shaped like this [ where the top and bottom are slightly longer to allow connection to the existing bucket. Holes are cut in the front for the lens and the mounting points - I will have complete adjustability of the headlights using a simple screwdriver.

Hopefully this winter/spring I will be able to get some time to work on the Supra - now that I have my daily driver (2006 Solara Drop Top).

It really is fairly straight forward once you get in there and get everything in front of you.

Keith

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Haven't yet gotten to the wiring but have some theories.

Have to see if the stock low beam stays on when the high kicks on. If not there is a part at most auto parts stores to fix that.

A custom wiring harness will have to be created but should be really simple. You are basically taking the standard H4 bulb out (3 wires - one hot and two grounds - or the other way around) and putting in two H9 bulbs.

If the stock headlight has a single + going into it and two - coming out then you will connect the + leads of the new bulbs together and then connect the -'s out to the stock - leads. If the power goes the other way (single ground) you would reverse the wires.

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
im still going to try to fab up some sorta like the newer 300z lights i talked with the guy today and hes cool with it but i need a first off mold of the shape i need.

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
that would work for a prototype but it would need to be light weight but strong thats why i was thinking of cf or fiberglass

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
I've been looking at ways to do this for a while, and I think I'm going to go the FG route using LED lights. My dad's big into custom flashlight modification, so he said he'd be down for helping me do the light wiring itself. The description of looking something like a 300z is DEAD on. :) Great idea...+1 for you!

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
yeah i have a friend with a 300z and i like the look of his lights so i think im going to try to come up with something close to that hey maybe well come up with something closely related to each other.

bondie

Pisshead
Aug 26, 2005
UK
These are the lights i used http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto...ewItemQQcategoryZ35590QQitemZ4606042263QQrdZ1

I had to cut away some of the outer shell of the lights to clear the light stop. Also as quoted above you have to shorten the connecting rod by about 1.5cm's. I also removed the actuator arm from the motor itself and relocated the ball and socket joint to allow the lights to close properly.

As you can see on the headlights in the above link they have bolt fastenings on the sides and simple L bracket connects them to the headlight "Bucket"

They are a plug and play connection with side lights dip and main beam working on all four headlights

Hope this helps :aigo: