Have you regretted going 7M to 1JZ?

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
Hey everyone,
I'm looking at a few cars that have had the 1JZ swapped into the car already. I've owned a few 7M Supra's over the years so I'm very familiar with how they drive etc. What I'm wondering is if anyone who has taken the plunge to from7M to 1JZ has ever regretted it and why? I'm looking for input from people who have actually gone through with the procedure. For myself, I do not want to take on a swap, but I'm more interested in should I hold out for a properly done 1JZ or just build up a 7M.
Let the fun begin!

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
Miss the 3k massive torque but I certainly don't miss the 5.5k powerband limit of the 7m and BHG/Rodknock shizzles

beside, 4k hit really strong with my 6262 1jz, it's not THAT gutless down low

Last edited:

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
Pretty much what I thought, seems like a pretty kick ass engine. Only thing I've been finding is that so many of them do not have the A/C or Cruise connected. Any idea why?

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I went from a 7M to a small single 1J. The 1J car feels like a 90s single cam Civic until boost comes online. All the JZ cars I've been in have been the same story. If you don't mind that, its not bad. I've been strongly considering going back to a 7M ever since my first drive. Lol

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
hvyman;2019155 said:
Nothing to regret. Better gas milage, more power, better reliability.

Full exhaust and a shimmed wastegate will probably match the 1j in power and torque so I wouldn't consider the extra 60 hp claimed as more power.

shipkiller;2019157 said:
Miss the 3k massive torque but I certainly don't miss the 5.5k powerband limit of the 7m and BHG/Rodknock shizzles

beside, 4k hit really strong with my 6262 1jz, it's not THAT gutless down low

The 5.5k powerband isn't the engines fault, it's the small ct26 that is put on it. BHG/Rodknock is also something else that falls on the owners fault.

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
I bought a 1j to put in another one of my supras but honestly, I just can find myself getting rid of the 7m. This of course changes on who you ask, but for me the 7m just feels right under that hood. Gas mileage, performance, and reliability that 7m has done everything that I've required when I first built it......so for now my 1j will just have to sit on the sidelines and wait for another supra to be purchased.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
People drop 1j and 2j into all different kinds of cars all day long. You Hardly Ever Hear Of A 7m swap. I've owned all three and will never and I mean never ever go back to a 7m. Remember toyota itself went away from the 7m for the 1j mid production of the mkiii. 1j with some 550's and a single turbo is one heck of a engine. And it only gets better from there.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
S.A. supra;2019794 said:
People drop 1j and 2j into all different kinds of cars all day long. You Hardly Ever Hear Of A 7m swap. I've owned all three and will never and I mean never ever go back to a 7m. Remember toyota itself went away from the 7m for the 1j mid production of the mkiii. 1j with some 550's and a single turbo is one heck of a engine. And it only gets better from there.

Guess the 2j is bad because toyota went away from it and don't tell me that the 1j/2j are far more capable of higher horsepower.

They are its been proven time and time again. look at how many 7m are over 1k hp. 2jz is dime a dozen over 1k.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
IndigoMKII;2019800 said:
Guess the 2j is bad because toyota went away from it and don't tell me that the 1j/2j are far more capable of higher horsepower.

Did they really go away from it though? What about all of the lexus models with the 2JZ motors? I guess the argument of "lexus isn't toyota" could be made but at that point you're splitting hairs as far as I'm concerned.

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
Going from the M series to JZ series engines was simply a natural progression for the company. They couldn't stay with the same platform forever. Its the same thing with any company. At my company, we change platforms every so many years to keep up with market damands. Just like the M series motors, the JZ series also outlived its purpose thus Toyota halted its production. Once a product has outlived its usefulness to the company, it goes obsolete simple as that. With that being said, I still have zero regrets with my 7m and honestly would do it again.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
You know why the 2j is more swapped than a 7m? Fast and Furious. Everyone is looking for that power that everyone talks about, the engine has more 'hype' to it.

A 7m is only as reliable as it's owner, simple as that. Ask 3p the last time his 7m left him walking because it's so 'unreliable'.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
IndigoMKII;2019868 said:
A 7m is only as reliable as it's owner, simple as that. Ask 3p the last time his 7m left him walking because it's so 'unreliable'.

I wonder why no one has ever used the above as a marketing slogan? " the all new supra with the 7m the engine that's only as reliable as it's owner".

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
I'm not sure the issue people have with the engine. Ive said it before and I'll say it again. Talk to any original owner about their experiences. SupraCentral, and JetJock come to mind. They paint a completely different picture.

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
I will agree that the 7m definitely has a weaker aftermarket which means many of us have to resort to more or less customized parts or at least components produced in very small numbers. I don't care if its a 7m, a 1jz/2jz or a damn chevy 350, if one fails to take the necessary steps to insure that the engine is built properly, it will fail. More often than not there are a lot of individuals on this forum that are completely ok with cutting corners on the 7m; then when it fails due to those cut corners, somehow it was the engine's fault....It took me three years after i purchased my car before I started driving it. I spent a lot of time making sure that motor was solid, admittedly it was a real pain in the ass as times but the outcome was far better than me rushing then end up with a pile of poop....

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
I think the valid point that S A Supra was trying to make was that Toyota needed a better power plant so they went JZ while the 7M was still on the factory line.

It's like replacing your dead cat with a new one before the old has actually died.

Bit of a slap in the face for the 7M.

But I'm glad they did. Makes a 2JZ swap much easier

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
It's funny when all these 7m guys start talking about 7m and the hoops you have to jump through to make them reliable. While they are doing all that, 2jz guys are slapping on turbos and bigger injectors. The 2jz is now a monster and the 7m is merely reliable.