H&R springs too low

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
jake8790;1876427 said:
They are new, I've had them on for a couple months. They are very stiff. I love the way they ride I just wish the car was a little bit higher. f00g00, where did you find your spring spacers?
I got them from a store here in kuwait but they are a generic spacer you should be able to get at pep boys or autozone.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
JDMMA70;1876486 said:
I'm on H&Rs I don't scrape or rub I dunno why you guys are having issues. My wheels rub due to offset. My downpipe is the only thing that scrapes hks its known for it.

Uh.. so they do rub? Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
suprarx7nut;1876840 said:
Uh.. so they do rub? Lol.

Only due to my +20 offset. The fronts rub if i take a dip too fast. The HKS downpipe will scrape even with a mild drop it just hangs too low. When I was on stock wheels like Habanero i never once had any issue with rubbing period. If i had MK4 TT wheels i still wouldnt rub or if i had a set of wheels with higher offset. You can see why in the pic below

p1876936_1.jpg

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
^ great looking supra from the looks of that picture.

I have the opposite, my front is sitting perfect, my rear is sitting a lot higher, well the wheel gap is noticeably bigger.
How are you guys so low? I'm running bilstein shocks and NZ made springs to get me 60-70mm lower all round and if I went lower I would have no travel on the shock...
By the looks of these pics, the car is sitting a good inch + in the rear lower than me. Are you running factory shocks ?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
JDMMA70;1876936 said:
Only due to my +20 offset. The fronts rub if i take a dip too fast. The HKS downpipe will scrape even with a mild drop it just hangs too low. When I was on stock wheels like Habanero i never once had any issue with rubbing period. If i had MK4 TT wheels i still wouldnt rub or if i had a set of wheels with higher offset. You can see why in the pic below

p1877037_1.jpg

Ah, gotcha. Makes sense. Those springs always look best for a non-daily or a super flat and clean road system. I don't imagine typical Colorado roads would cooperate. :(

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
If you want spring spacers you can make them from 1/4" steel plate. Just use a plasma cutter or torch and cut out donuts that fit between the upper spring isolator and the upper mounts. A machine shop can probably do them out of delrin too. 1/4" spacer at the spring is equal to about 3/8" of ride height change since the springs act on roughly the middle of the control arm (I think it's about a 1.8:1 motion ratio... but I can't remember). I had to make a set when I put my dropzone springs on. The front was like 0.75" lower than the rear, I had two spacers in to raise it up to level, but I just took one out on each side to rake it a bit since the back drops more than the front from driver/passenger weight. Now it sits perfect.

Some company should make these. Drop in spring spacers would be really nice for those of us who don't have a grand to spend on coilovers, or don't want to for a daily driver.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
H&R on my car... Like JDM said, I only rub when passing something uneven at high speeds and my hks downpipe scrapes everything regardless....
p1877173_1.jpg

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
Sside;1877173 said:
H&R on my car... Like JDM said, I only rub when passing something uneven at high speeds and my hks downpipe scrapes everything regardless....
p1877337_1.jpg
That's partially due to the HKS down pipe....they hang rather low regardless... i almost wore a hole in mine on my old setup... my current setup is a 4" exhaust that i fabbed myself and never had an issue with clearance

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
YourEnemy;1876915 said:
I have had my H&R's for about 4 years and never had an issue rubbing and I run 155's in the front and 185's in the rear.... are you running stock struts?

155's and 185's... You sure you drive a supra?

Mine use to rub, don't know if it was do to the cheap GR2 shocks or maybe it's because I got them used but I got rid of them.